angus defects

Help Support Steer Planet:

advocate

I dont think any one in the maines can criticize angus genetic defect due to the fact that the maines invented them

GoWyo

If it is this G A R Solution  AAA 14222615  [AMC-NHF] then he is a curly calf carrier.  Offspring that are carriers can't be registered - they eat just fine.  Offspring that are not carriers can be registered.  Clean offspring could potentially be worth something to perpetuate the line but clean it up at the same time.

knabe

advocate said:
I dont think any one in the maines can criticize angus genetic defect due to the fact that the maines invented them

no one is criticizing angus.  but in the last paragraph or so of "battle of the bull runts" about herefords, the author alludes to the FACT, that angus have dwarfs.  i think the book was published in the 50's.

not the best proactive association.

we haven't heard the last of defects from any breed.

DL

advocate said:

talk about a really stupid comment based on absolutely no facts and clearly no knowledge of genetics-

perhaps you would like to examine syndactly, tibial hemimelia, alpha and beta mannosidosis, marble bone, brachyspina syndrome, complex vertebral malformation, inherited congenital myoclonus, dwarfism - long nose, snorter, bulldog, idiopathic epilepsy, Bovine Leukocyte Adhesion Defect, Citrullinaemia, Uridine Monophosphate Synthase Deficiency, Protoporphyria, Chediak-Higashi Syndrome, Congenital Pseudomyotonia. Congenital Muscular Dystony, type 1 and 2, Factor XI Deficiency, and of course AM, NH, and FCS and itty bitty

perhaps you should read the Battle of the Bull Runts for a historical perspective

Cattledog

DL said:
advocate said:

perhaps you would like to examine syndactly, tibial hemimelia, alpha and beta mannosidosis, marble bone, brachyspina syndrome, complex vertebral malformation, inherited congenital myoclonus, dwarfism - long nose, snorter, bulldog, idiopathic epilepsy, Bovine Leukocyte Adhesion Defect, Citrullinaemia, Uridine Monophosphate Synthase Deficiency, Protoporphyria, Chediak-Higashi Syndrome, Congenital Pseudomyotonia.

Wow...try saying all of that with one breath! ;D

DL

Cattledog said:
DL said:
advocate said:

perhaps you would like to examine syndactly, tibial hemimelia, alpha and beta mannosidosis, marble bone, brachyspina syndrome, complex vertebral malformation, inherited congenital myoclonus, dwarfism - long nose, snorter, bulldog, idiopathic epilepsy, Bovine Leukocyte Adhesion Defect, Citrullinaemia, Uridine Monophosphate Synthase Deficiency, Protoporphyria, Chediak-Higashi Syndrome, Congenital Pseudomyotonia.

Wow...try saying all of that with one breath! ;D

while standing on one foot and chewing gum :eek: ::) ;)

aj

Garybob. Not much of tv or movie guy. Never seen "City slickers". Guess I don't get your insult. I'll try and catch it if it comes to the drive in though.

OH Breeder

angus showman said:
I would say the angus defects shouldn't be worried about most all the popular angus bulls have been tested anything positive doesn't get used in the angus industry or very little use eventually the problem will weed itself out unlike TH and PHA where some people keep breeding them and do nothing to solve the problem. A lot of the carrier females in angus sale people buy and just make commerical cows out of so that will also help eliminate the problem. Also note how maines became black from angus if it wasn't for the angus making them black they too would be just another hobby breed like shorthorns. All breeds have their own problems shorthorns TH maines PHA angus Curly Calf / fawn calf only one is trying to fix it ANGUS

Why is there a need  to insult another breed.  ??? Usually when someone specifically singles out , like you have shorthorns,  and uses a condoscending tone or comment as "hobby breed" they lack knowledge. You realize that many of the mainstream breeds have Shorthorn blood in them as a FOUNDATION. 30 other breeds of cattle show traces of Shorthorn in their parentage, including Santa Gertrudis and Angus . Say what you will about our "hobby breed" but you should at least sound educated in your criticism of breed. Its all relative to what makes your individual world go around.

Here's a little piece of history about my HOBBY BREED

Shortly after the turn of the nineteenth century many Scottish breeders looked very favorably on the use of the improved Shorthorn breed as a method to upgrade native stock. This crossing was so widely practiced that unimproved Aberdeen Angus cattle of the region were threatened with extinction. Since the first Angus Herdbook was not published until 1862, it can be presumed that the introduction of improved Shorthorn blood in the early part of the nineteenth century had a positive impact on what was to become the modern Aberdeen Angus breed.

I would bet you that the Kobe Beef folks laugh all the way to the bank with there $50 and higher steaks and there "hobby breed".
http://shop.austinmeat.com/kobe-beef.html

combine54

GoWyo...I would like to clarify your response a bit...carrier Angus bulls, since the AM and NH test was "announced" and available more than 6 moths ago, as per AAA rules, if you use their semen NOW, ZERO offspring are eligible to be registered any longer....only those that were bred to those bulls BEFORE that 6 month time limit AND are tested Negative, can be registered....if they were born and were registered BEFORE that announced date (AM and NH dates were different because of the start /availability of the test), they might be AMC or NHC and still be a registered animal but their offspring in the future MUST be tested AMF of NHF to be registered....so long story short...GAR Solution semen can NO LONGER have registered offspring unless they were born a few months ago-the cutoff date. ( I don't remember the exact 6 month date for each but fo AM the 6 months was spring 2009, for NH it was fall of 2009), it was clearly posted on the AAA website) and yes Dr J Analyst isAMF/ NHC...

advocate

well DL i was refferring to spastic paresis, monkey mouth,pha, losing my own maine calves to freak hart failures and the ever so popular big dumb calf syndrome maybe not a defect but sure seems to take place with more of my maines than any of them

DL

advocate said:
well DL i was refferring to spastic paresis, monkey mouth,pha, losing my own maine calves to freak hart failures and the ever so popular big dumb calf syndrome maybe not a defect but sure seems to take place with more of my maines than any of them

well spastic paresis was first described in Holsteins and is seen in just about every breed and monkey mouth is not breed specific either - heart failure has many causes, seen in all mammals, and has been described in many breeds of cattle (it is not necessarily genetic either) and big dumb calves are big and dumb regardless of breed - oh and PHA has been described in Dexters as well as one Hereford - maybe  you need to get out more

angus showman

Why is there a need  to insult another breed.   ??? Usually when someone specifically singles out , like you have shorthorns,  and uses a condoscending tone or comment as "hobby breed" they lack knowledge. You realize that many of the mainstream breeds have Shorthorn blood in them as a FOUNDATION. 30 other breeds of cattle show traces of Shorthorn in their parentage, including Santa Gertrudis and Angus . Say what you will about our "hobby breed" but you should at least sound educated in your criticism of breed. Its all relative to what makes your individual world go around.

Here's a little piece of history about my HOBBY BREED

Shortly after the turn of the nineteenth century many Scottish breeders looked very favorably on the use of the improved Shorthorn breed as a method to upgrade native stock. This crossing was so widely practiced that unimproved Aberdeen Angus cattle of the region were threatened with extinction. Since the first Angus Herdbook was not published until 1862, it can be presumed that the introduction of improved Shorthorn blood in the early part of the nineteenth century had a positive impact on what was to become the modern Aberdeen Angus breed.

I would bet you that the Kobe Beef folks laugh all the way to the bank with there $50 and higher steaks and there "hobby breed".

http://shop.austinmeat.com/kobe-beef.html
[/quote]

First off I have been around the livestock deal all my life and certainly don't lack knowledge within the cattle industry. I would like to be shown exactly where you can find the angus breed using shorthorn parentage within the breed. I will not dispute the fact that shorthorn may have influenced Angus cattle to where they are today. But you can also credit many other breeds however look around and see what one breed has influenced the cattle industry the most angus after all how did the other breeds become black and at the end of the day all showing aside cause we all know there is little to no profit in that the black cattle bring more than colored. I personally would rather raise cattle that preform  easy calving structurally correct that calve on some kind of routine and will bring the most when you take them to market which is also on time becuse they are not hard doing . If it wasn't for the showring shorthorns wouldn't be very popular at all also correct me if i'm wrong people eat a lot more certified angus beef which only have to be a percentage of black hided than they every do kobe beef

knabe

so let me see.  the black hide hides all other breed characteristics like holstein, chi, maine etc.  the idea that angus got that big that fast is laughable.  the only reason people don't recognize the scale this was done was the lack of high density molecular markers.

i guess most people don't remember "purebred" angus with chi mustaches.

all a breed means is the perception of a closed herd book.  all the posturing will not change that fact.

aj

As I understand it the Shorthorn blood was used by Angus breeders in Europe or whatever. They now think the Red Angus color gene probably came from this infusion of Durham(Shorthorn blood). Whjy is it that 290 years ago the ave % of choice cattle in feedlots was running 73%. Now that we have all these wonderfull black hided cattle out there the industry average is running 50% choice.

Cattledog

aj said:
As I understand it the Shorthorn blood was used by Angus breeders in Europe or whatever. They now think the Red Angus color gene probably came from this infusion of Durham(Shorthorn blood). Whjy is it that 290 years ago the ave % of choice cattle in feedlots was running 73%. Now that we have all these wonderfull black hided cattle out there the industry average is running 50% choice.

You're comparing apples to oranges here.  More consumers have accepted Select beef.  The feedlots have caught on and realize they can get by with fewer days on feed.