angus defects

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

jbw said:
Nothing against those of you that raise grass fed beef, BUT, I tried it, ONCE, NOT FOR ME.  I like the corn fed.

i've tried it many times.  i like the corn fed too.  but i like mine best so far which is free choice grain, grass grain, hung 3-4 weeks.  i feed mine (6 steers so far) to about 0.6" back fat (hit me elbee, i know) and the marbling is about low choice to choice.  i haven't tried to feed one just grain ration.  i guess i should do that.

jbw

The hang time is very important, but, the butcher I use says that the cooling down VERY rapidly is the most important. 

knabe

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T6V-3W3FG74-B&_user=10&_coverDate=10%2F31%2F1996&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1234095319&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=8810918e9b088f608a74ad5cae296a57

The strategies for selecting a suitable scheme for beef carcass chilling were developed by keeping air velocity at 0.5 m/s and relative humidity at 90%. Faster chilling after 10 h post-mortem resulted in lower chilling time and mass loss compared with faster chilling after 24 h post-mortem at −5 °C ambient temperature. Including pre-rigor chilling at − 15 °C for 1 h further reduced the mass loss. Based on predicted meat quality, the most desirable chilling scheme was with a pre-rigor chilling period at − 15 °C for 1 h and a post-rigor chilling after 10 h post-mortem at 0 °C ambient temperature. For accelerated beef processing with reasonable meat quality, the most desirable chilling scheme was with a pre-rigor chilling period at −15 °C for 1 h and a post-rigor chilling after 10 h post-mortem at −5 °C. However, the longissimus dorsi and undoubtedly other portions of the carcass were partially frozen, which is generally unacceptable in the commercial meat trade.

which rapid cooling are you referring to, when the cuts are finally frozen?

DL

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
hamburgman said:
I think that TH came with the Tulip 5th cow, but I could be wrong

What is Tulip's story?

I've always been told that Improver brought it in because he was part Galloway. Irish Shorthorn breeders didn't exactly keep a precise herdbook in those days. 

OMG that means there is Galloway in the Angus

there is no Tulip 5th in Improvers pedigree - so that can't be true unless the pedigree is wrong! OMG what a can of worms :eek: :eek: :eek:

GoWyo

There is a processor in northeast Colorado that uses a rinse and chill system right after they knock them down to quickly lower the carcass temperature and flush the blood out of the system.  They say the flush a "chilled diluted solution of water and 2 percent sugars and salts through the cardiovascular system of the carcass that flushes the system. That results in a quicker, more effective blood removal and lowers pH and internal temperatures of the carcass."  Been using this outfit for several years -- they vacuum pack everything too.  It is a little more expensive, but well worth the money for the product we get.

hamburgman

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
hamburgman said:
I think that TH came with the Tulip 5th cow, but I could be wrong

What is Tulip's story?

I've always been told that Improver brought it in because he was part Galloway. Irish Shorthorn breeders didn't exactly keep a precise herdbook in those days. 
My bad, you are right, was thinking wrongly here, sorry about the confusion.

aj

I thought the heatseeker th came through Improver 145 bull who went back to Grandpapa Improver.

knabe

GoWyo said:
There is a processor in northeast Colorado that uses a rinse and chill system right after they knock them down to quickly lower the carcass temperature and flush the blood out of the system.  They say the flush a "chilled diluted solution of water and 2 percent sugars and salts through the cardiovascular system of the carcass that flushes the system. That results in a quicker, more effective blood removal and lowers pH and internal temperatures of the carcass."  Been using this outfit for several years -- they vacuum pack everything too.  It is a little more expensive, but well worth the money for the product we get.

so, what do they do, cut out the heart, hook up a hose, stick it in a vein, the water goes through the capillaries, there is no clotting and it comes out the vessel?

vegetable processors use a quick chill system too, to prolong eating quality.

CWshorthorns

I just read the article that was above said that shorthorn cattle in angus cattle is not there. and from my understanding of the article one farmer (Hugh Watson) had both black angus and shorthorn cattle and he never let then cross breed unless back in the days on the 1900's they watched the cattle 24 hours a day and 7 days a week it would be impossible to say that he is 100% sure that this never happened. because black is a domante color so if a shorthorn bull breed a black cow it has a very good chance of beenin born black and could have been recorded in hugh watsons herd book as a black angus calf. so to my understanding is that none of us can be 100% sure as to what the real truth unless you were alive in those days or you are the maker of this great place we live on called earth were we all have the right to own and breed the cattle that we think is the best in our minds and is problem not the best in others minds. we do have reg. shorthorn cattle but my father in law has cattle and they are non reg and he jumped on that black wagon when we took our red and roan cattle to the sale barn and our calf were bigger and we got bottom dollars just because they were not black.It is the love that my wife has for the shorthorn cattle that will keep them on our farm and will always be as she said she dont care black is ugly and red and white cattle are what we will raise. again i am not for or against any one that raises cattle as most all of us have the same thing in common we are tring to raise the best cattle for us and that is our american right to do as we think is right. and this right also lets us to try to prove which breed is the best.

GoWyo

knabe said:
GoWyo said:

so, what do they do, cut out the heart, hook up a hose, stick it in a vein, the water goes through the capillaries, there is no clotting and it comes out the vessel?

vegetable processors use a quick chill system too, to prolong eating quality.

knabe -- the system they are using is the Generation 3 Rinse and Chill.  I have attached a link for more info.  http://mpscinc.com/process_generation.html

GoWyo

knabe said:
that's pretty cool.  any rough idea what one costs?

Ha ha -- I bet it is a bundle.  This packing house is Double J Meat in Pierce, CO.  They bought a small processor several years ago and have expanded to where they do or can kill something like 100 or more head per day.  They process quite a few bison and are doing the processing for Seminole Hard Rock Cafe's businesses.  I think they bit off a pretty good chunk to install it, but they are better set up to use it than say a big plant because they are walking the line between being a big plant and a small custom plant.  They must not be doing the volume to run a 24-hour a day kill floor and they still custom cut.

knabe

exactly the size of processing plant that all our local and state and federal governments should be promoting.

but they are too wedded to the USDA.

this is the exact size plant that will minimize large scale recalls.

the federal government has killed more people downsizing vehicles in one than probably all food borne deaths combined in the last 20.

GoWyo

I agree - I have been real happy with this outfit and hope it can make a go of it without interference from the gov't.  The fact that the business they do is a bit of a niche that doesn't compete with the big plants probably helps.  This size plant is small enough to be nimble and make adjustments quickly.