Best Simmental Bulls right now

Help Support Steer Planet:

WFCC

he is quarter simmi. he is out of a kadabra cow but he is a baldy and resembles mamas boy a bunch.  Real stout boned and complete.

WFCC

make sure your cow is super clean fronted.  He will definately throw some leather.  But he will square up any rounder made cow and adds quite a bit of rib for a simmi.

Simnetix

Actually, my experience is that he will clean up a front on most females, although keep in mind.... when using any Simmi bull, you run the risk for a tick of front.  In your case of using him on a Kadabra cow.... Habanero would be Kadabra's sire and Habanero had a knack for throwing quite a bit of front. 

CAB

forcheyhawk

What do folks think of Chopper?  I thought Griswolds have some nice Choppers in their catalog.  Check them out here:
http://www.gcccattle.com/

Seriously considering using him this year.  I would like to use Steel Force but I can't justify the $200/unit.

LinZ

My Summary:

Built Right- Can throw some super nice ones.. and has.. like the completeness.. however..there can be inconsistency.. I've seen 3 heifers out of the same cow..all flushmates.. one had a killer front end and was super stout but super small.. the other was large framed..not quite as much base width with a so so front end.. the other.. just a decent cow herd prospect... Drawbacks for me.. Can throw white, smaller framed, front ends..sometimes he knocks one out of the park on front..sometimes not..

Rendition- I've seen one or two really nice out of him .. and the rest.. haven't cared for one bit.. I personally would not use him just from the calf crop  I have seen so far...

Goldmine-.. one word.. growth(lack of).. You certainly don't have to worry about pulling any calves but you certainly don't have to worry about 99% of them getting very big ever.. I've used  him and seen plenty of calves outo fhim.. The one or two a crop that actually grow are dang good.. just most of them don't.

Burning Up- Nice looking bull.. love him dam.. don't care for his structure..particularly off the rear wheels.. and he has a knack for occasionally throwing white socks on the rear wheels.. He can put the pretty pretty into one though

Dreamworks- LOVED his calves at Triple C.. and so did everyone else..according to the prices.. lol.. I'm using him this year. Throw tons of body, width and while he won't give them a Manchild front end he keeps the fronts in pretty darn good shape considering the body and width he throws..

Maximus- Like him.. I would just be careful on what you use him on.. He's not gona give the calf a killer front if the cow doesn't have one but I think he will improve it some and he adds style.. just use him on a stouter cow..

Macho- Good front ends, loads of style..just watch to be careful you keep enough Rib, Base width and muscling in your cow..

Trademark- Will add tons of rib.. again to me.. inconsistent...

In Dew Time- I personally wouldn't use him.. and here's why... structure.. I hate his rear wheels, fertility.. his family has been known to be not so good in that area, including his dam and sister. Mainly with these 2 issues and him being a Dream On son.. just cuts him out of my picture.. not that I'm opposed to a Dream On son completely but I think you can certainly find better ones..

Mo Better- Got DEPTH? Cause if you don't he is certainly the one for you to use. He won't improve and front and I would use him on a very complete, good fronted cow.. to even the balance out.. but boy will he put some bone and balance in there..

Mo Town- Doesn't throw like Mo Better.. I've seen lack of bone.. shallowed bodied.. but sometime he will throw like Mo Better just slightly more inconsistent than Mo Better but still a good bull.. I have a couple of nice ones out of him but I've had some not so nice ones... all out of the same cow family

Grandmaster- If I had to pick one bull to use on all my cows..this would be the one.. tons of depth, muscling, just overall power, with a good front and structure.. no dream on.. killer cow family backing him up as well. LOVE this bull.. You can get some with a little leather..but that's a give and take with having a stout calf..

Dream Catcher- To me.. the bull that actually DOES what Star Power was supposed to.. Nice front ends, style, balance, without sacrificing much body or width or bone.. a good bull to pretty up those ground sow, slightly sloppy fronted cows.

Star Power- Don't care for him..which is surprising considering his dam. love her. Just lacks the depth, bone, and consistency for me to use him..
Yea I've seen some good calves out of him but I've seen way more bads than goods.. I think too many people used him when he first came out as the answer to all their problems more than really looking at the bull underneath all the fluff and puff...

Steel Force- Like him.. I've seen balance.. not gona throw you the deepest body, the best front end, the heaviest bone or the heaviest muscled.. but he generally throws a nice balance of these.. most I have seen from him have been really complete.

Ranchhand- Never will I use him again.. I did pour the juice on the floor on this one.. Did not like his calves..didn't like the birthweights,  structure or growth..

Dominance- One that consistently throws calves that looks AMAZING on on profile(aka.. standing still).. when they move most I have seen have been as consistently poor structured... if you have a cow that has perfect structure.. use him.. cause he will give you killer style.

Affirmed- Love this bull.. Excellent structure.. loved him in Denver 07 and personally I would have used him for Grand over Burning Up.. For an older bull he was super sound. Clean fronted.. good balanced calves..

Explorer- Lke this bull.. throws lots of power...not so good front ends.. anxious to see more cows out of him..

Upgrade- Ummmm...where are they? I've seen maybe 5-10 calves since this bull came out.. Only 1 impressed me.. which is not good considering how much he was used.. I've seen so many pregnancies and embryos and cows sell sired or bred to him.. yet at max have only seen 10 calves.. Doesn't speak well for me... I think too many people use him solely based on his picture.. without looking at his pedigree.. Upgrade is like Boise State.. OVERRATED

Echo- I really like this bull.. Balance, style, structure, hair, front ends.. a good bull for 3/4's.

Grizzly- Throws that cocky look with a square, showy profile... can be good or can be bad on structure.. Def. Using him though.

Chopper-Haven't seen but one calf out of him..but I really liked her.. Moderate framed..but balanced, muscled, and style. Use him on larger framed females.

Cut Above/Fat Butt- Loved this bull in person. Have seen some really nice calves out of him.. no Dream On in pedigree.. can throw baldies.. a good choice I think.. I won't go crazy using him this year til I see a few more out of him but judging from the ones I've seen so far and how he looked in person it's only a matter of time before they get seen.

Some of What I'm using this year..

Echo
Freedom-Have a killer fronted Hetero Built Right daughter I think he will cross well on..
Dreamworks-Using him on some heifers we have
Dream Catcher-Using him again on some heifers that need cleaning up in the front ends.
Fat Butt-Using him on a Hummer x Sheza lady flush.
Chopper-Have a larger framed super nice cow I am flushing him to..

JMHO,
LInZ

CAB

forcheyhawk said:
What do folks think of Chopper?  I thought Griswolds have some nice Choppers in their catalog.  Check them out here:
http://www.gcccattle.com/

Seriously considering using him this year.  I would like to use Steel Force but I can't justify the $200/unit.

Used Chopper but got no calves and wonder if that's why we haven't seen or heard much more out of him. I'm going to watch the GCC Whizard. Like the Chill Factor in the pedigree, and has that same balanced look that Chopper has.

Thanks for the lo-down Linz.

forcheyhawk

Wow great summary Linz.  Grandmaster is another bull I really want to use.  How do those calves come and how do they grow?  What kind of cows have you used him on?  Thanks.

LinZ

Personally I used Grandmaster on the ones that tend to be a tick larger framed..maybe get a bit on the flat side.. he moderates them and adds the power..Calves come on the average from what I've seen 70-80 lbs. and grow very well.. I would suggest using him to anyone.. He's nice!

LinZ

Sammy

thank you LinZ for your post - very informative on the different bulls - I surely agree on Grandmaster calves - when they are born you question the wisdom of using him as the calves are small to moderate and then a few weeks later they really come on - GM is so different from so many of the nice profile bulls that do not breed any power - someone, somewhere is going to breed a great Grandmaster -

TJR

We used Chopper pretty heavily in '09, and were pretty happy.  Conception rates were good, and I really like the calves. He sure did stamp the calves with a darned good look. Very consistent.  We used him in a couple of flushes, and had good results as well.

3dfarms

Don't want to repeat anything anyone has said here....but if I were you I would use Built Right for best chance in show ring.  If you look in the Register (American Simmental Association's publication), you will see a lot of bulls siring winners, but you will see a lot of Macho's and Built Rights.  Macho can do some great things for your cattle, but he can wreak havoc on a first calf heifer too.  His BW's are high, but he can put some muscle on them for sure.

I know the owners of Mo Better and have seen him in the pasture.  He is getting up there a little in years, but still throws some outstanding calves.  He will add depth and a chrome face that is very popular.  (Built Right will too).

You can get sexed semen on many of the bulls that are being discussed in this thread.  Genex has Mo Better in their Fall Special and sexed semen is priced very reasonably.  Whether you are wanting to produce show steers or heifers this gives you the option of picking with 75% or 90% accuracy (Genex offers to levels of sexed semen) the sex of the calf.

Best of luck to you.

Blackhawk

Had just a couple of chopper calves out of maine angus cows and really like them. Calves were moderated framed,  big footed, square made, sound, soft bellied, and really soft hair. Keep getting better everyday. I would also recommed using him. Heifer calves out of him are the showin and keeping kind. Bred more for next year.

Walker

Did anyone use the new Genex Bull Ammo last spring?  Seems to me he could be a really good outcross on the Dream On lines. 

LN

The American Simmental Assoc released Spring 2011 EPDs yesterday. I checked out Grandmaster's and his tanked....a lot. Not too surprising.

I have some SAS T101 Sweet Meat calves that are 3 months right now. They are stout little buggers with some style.