Biblical timeline

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I had a neighbor suggest Ken Powers and "Future Hstory". What is everybodies take on this deal?

Az Jimmy

Here is an idea that will cause some thought.  Try to find another witness to Christ.

HerefordGuy

I am a Christian and a scientist who researches evolution.  Science is the search for truth using reason and physical means, religion is the search for truth using spiritual means such as revelation and prayer.  But, truth does not conflict with truth. 

Recently the Templeton Foundation award was given to Francisco J. Ayala, who argues for mutual respect between religion and science.
http://www.templetonprize.org/currentwinner.html
http://ncse.com/news/2010/03/ayala-wins-templeton-prize-005389

Personally, I believe symbolism is used throughout the Bible, and I feel the description of the creation as in the Bible is symbolic.

aj

I'm with you on the symbolism. I may get to go to an anthropology seminar this weekend. I will bring up the concern of peoples doubt on inaccurate radio carbon dating data. I hope the minister lady is there. I love to talk to her and get her ideas.

hamburgman

I like watching the history channel and the take that military historians have on the bible. 

hamburgman

also aj, catholics tend to vote democrat because they feel abortion should not be the only and overiding issue in every election.  Add to that fact that areas where catholics are concentrated tend to be more urban (thinking of the NE catholics here) and this tends to favor a democratic vote.  Also it seems like the old white men are the only ones talking for the church (bishops and popes) while the people who really make the church work seldom have a public platform.  You saw a big shocker when those nuns said the healthcare bill was a good thing, and it made me think that they are the ones who cook and help the poor, while many bishops live in unbelievably expensive houses and make public speeches.

garybob

hamburgman said:
also aj, catholics tend to vote democrat because they feel abortion should not be the only and overiding issue in every election.  Add to that fact that areas where catholics are concentrated tend to be more urban (thinking of the NE catholics here) and this tends to favor a democratic vote.  Also it seems like the old white men are the only ones talking for the church (bishops and popes) while the people who really make the church work seldom have a public platform.  You saw a big shocker when those nuns said the healthcare bill was a good thing, and it made me think that they are the ones who cook and help the poor, while many bishops live in unbelievably expensive houses and make public speeches.
Kinda the same way, in the "Upland South" ( the Ozarks and Appalachia). The same kind of generalizations are observed among Evangelicals. For example: Pastors of smaller congregations whose members are Poultry Plant workers, vs Pastors of the larger churches whose members are the Poultry Growers, or Mgt of the plants.

Serve Yuns not 2 masters!

GB

aj

Has anyone seen the theorys of methane being pushed up out of the earths crust and blowing water sky high. Could not this been the form that a biblical flood took place. Rain coming from the sky and earth. The one natgeo show qouted a bible verse that was something like"fountains of water rose out of the ground.....something something noah". In a unrelated thought I got to thinking about a flood in say where I'm at. The ogalalah aqufier could soak in vast amounts of water if given time. Through new wells old abandoned wells and creek beds. It would restore water being currently pumped out for irrigation. If it was sea water it might not be good I guess because of the salt. But nature has its cycles. I would think god would use natural forces to create say a flood. I guess he could use magic but I don't know why he would. The ogalalah aquifer could hold large amounts of water.