Biblical timeline

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dusty

Have any of you seen the movie Religulous?  I thought it was pretty interesting...

Dusty

I'm not a real religous person, but I do believe in god and believe he will judge me someday.

Anyways I heard something tonight that I thought was intriguing.  "Ever since there has been a god, there has been people killing in his name."

Also.  Jerusualam.  The holy land.  Has historically been the bloodiest place on earth.  Where thousands of people were murdered for no other reason than their beliefs.  Christians from Europe that were sent under sanction from the pope slaughtered every muslim man, woman and child. 

I'm just curious as to what some people think about this?

aj

I found a broken spearhead-or arrowhead a week ago picking up 4 and one half mile of electric fence. It was close to a playa(laggoon). Also found a smoothing stone and I think some kind of game piece. I',m thinking it was probably archaic. The broken point is a purple(I suspect flattop chalcony) whose quarry is west of Yuma Colorado. I can't stop wondering about mans existence here in western kansas years ago. Most people don't realize that the "native americans only had horses a couple hundred years before the white man showed up. Scienctist's think dogs were used as beast of burden before that. There is a rural rumour that there was a trail from pipestone Minnesota to the sante fe area used at least during the archaeic times and possibly 8 to 12 thousand years ago. The famous pipestone material was used for smoking pipes and traded clear down to New Mexico. Also right where I live it is thought that there was a glacier free finger area that was free as say eastern Kansas was covered by ice. The Laird-Busse,Busse cache site, jones-miller,Kanarado, and the sandcreek massacre sites are some noted studied sights in our area. The scientist think that 2000 to whatever your beliefs are there was running water in all the little draws around that were spring fed and perepitation was 40-80 inches of rain vs the 17 inch yearly average at Goodland Kansas. Where man came from how they lived is fascinating to me.

chambero

For the most part, the farther back you go in man's history in the Americas it was wetter.  Rivers used to carry a lot more water thew farther back you go toward the last ice age.

In regards to the crusades, what people dont realize was that Jerusalem and the holy land was always full of Jews and eastern Christians.  The muslims just ruled, but they actually didnt persecute Jews and Christians much because they figured we all worshipped the same God.  One major reason for the crusades was the ruling classes and the church got tired of all the young european men killing each other.  It was bad for business.  So they sent them off somewhere else.  When Jerusalem first fell to the crusaders, the europeans slaughtered more christians and jews than they did muslims. 

JbarL

chambero said:
Christians that also understand and appropriately trust in the scientific method - like you and me, are in the majority, most are just quiet about it.  Not much point in arguing with brick walls unless its for the fun of it.  Preachers son in my class swore up and down that dinosaurs never existed.  One set of my grandparents never believed we never went to the moon.

some times when i find myself in reflection concerning  the past ( dinosaurs )   ...and the future  ( ufo's)....it brings me back to what saved my personal life....i believe the evidence of dinosaurs and i  believe the evidence of ufos....either way i know if they do or did exist....they are from  god....i dont have to understand the details....there are many things i don't understand....but i will never lose my faith in the word of  God.....like  Thomas....he doubted strongly as well, cause he couldnt touch it or feel it or understand it ....just because i have absolutely no proof what so ever that we have ever been to the moon....it does not make me question my faith...nor do bones in the ground or lights in the sky.....jbarl

Doc

This is a little long, but pretty good.

SCIENCE VS. GOD

"Let me explain the problem science has with Jesus Christ."

The atheist professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new students to stand.

"You're a Christian, aren't you, son?"

"Yes sir," the student says.

"So you believe in God?"

"Absolutely."

"Is God good?"

"Sure! God's good."

"Is God all-powerful?

Can God do anything?"

"Yes."

"Are you good or evil?"

"The Bible says I'm evil."

The professor grins knowingly. "Aha! The Bible!" He considers for a moment.  "Here's one for you. Let's say there's a sick person over here and you can cure him. You can do it. Would you help him? Would you try?"

"Yes sir, I would."

"So you're good...!"

"I wouldn't say that."

"But why not say that? You'd help a sick and maimed person if you could. Most of us would if we could. But God doesn't."

The student does not answer, so the professor continues. "He doesn't, does he? My brother was a Christian who died of cancer, even though he prayed to Jesus to heal him. How is this Jesus good? Hmmm? Can you answer that one?"

The student remains silent.

"No, you can't, can you?" the professor says. He takes a sip of water from a glass on his desk to give the student time to relax.
"Let's start again, young fella.  Is God good?"

"Er.yes," the student says.

"Is Satan good?"

The student doesn't hesitate on this one. "No."

"Then where does Satan come from?"

The student : "From...God..."

"That's right. God made Satan , didn't he? Tell me, son. Is there evil in this world?"

"Yes, sir. "

"Evil's everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything, correct?"

"Yes."

"So who created evil?" The professor continued, "If God created everything, then God created evil, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then God is evil." Without allowing the student to answer, the professor continues: "Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things, do they exist in this world?"

The student: "Yes."

"So who created them?"

The student does not answer again, so the professor repeats his question. "Who created them? There is still no answer. Suddenly the lecturer breaks away to pace in front of the classroom. The class is mesmerized.  "Tell me," he continues onto another student. "Do you believe in Jesus Christ, son?"

The student's voice is confident: "Yes, professor, I do.."

The old man stops pacing. "Science says you have five senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Have you ever seen Jesus?"

"No sir. I've never seen Him"

"Then tell us if you've ever heard your Jesus?"

"No, sir, I have not."

"Have you ever actually felt your Jesus, tasted your Jesus or smelt your Jesus? Have you ever had any sensory perception of Jesus Christ, or God for that matter?"

"No, sir, I'm afraid I haven't."

"Yet you still believe in him?"

"Yes."

"According to the rules of empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your God doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?"

"Nothing," the student replies. "I only have my faith."

"Yes, faith," the professor repeats. "And that is the problem science has with God. There is no evidence, only faith."

The student stands quietly for a moment, before asking a question of his own. "Professor, is there such thing as heat?"

"Yes," the professor replies. "There's heat."

"And is there such a thing as cold?"

"Yes, son, there's cold too."

"No sir, there isn't."

The professor turns to face the student, obviously interested. The room suddenly becomes very quiet.

The student begins to explain. 

"You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, unlimited heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'. We can hit up to 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold; otherwise we would be able to go colder than the lowest -458 degrees. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-458 F) is the total absence of heat.  You see, sir, cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat we can measure in thermal units because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it." 

Silence across the room. A pen drops somewhere in the classroom, sounding like a hammer.  "What about darkness, professor. Is there such a thing as darkness?"

"Yes," the professor replies without hesitation. "What is night if it isn't darkness?"

"You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is not something; it is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light, but if you have no light constantly you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? That's the meaning we use to define the word. In reality, darkness isn't. If it were, you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?"

The professor begins to smile at the student in front of him. This will be a good semester. "So what point are you making, young man?"

"Yes, professor. My point is, your philosophical premise is flawed to start with, and so your conclusion must also be flawed."

The professor's face cannot hide his surprise this time.  "Flawed? Can you explain how?"

"You are working on the premise of duality," the student explains. "You argue that there is life and then there's death; a good God and a bad God. You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can't even explain a thought. It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life, just the absence of it."  "Now tell me, professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?" 

" If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, young man, yes, of course I do"

"Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?"

The professor begins to shake his head, still smiling, as he realizes where the argument is going. A very good semester, indeed.

"Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you now not a scientist, but a preacher?"  The class is in uproar. The student remains silent until the commotion has subsided.  "To continue the point you were making earlier to the other student, let me give you an example of what I mean."  The student looks around the room. "Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the professor's brain?" The class breaks out into laughter.  "Is there anyone here who has ever heard the professor's brain, felt the professor's brain, touched or smelled the professor's brain?  No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, with all due respect, sir. So if science says you have no brain, how can we trust your lectures, sir?"

Now the room is silent. The professor just stares at the student, his face unreadable.  Finally, after what seems an eternity, the old man answers.  "I guess you'll have to take them on faith."

"Now, you accept that there is faith, and, in fact, faith exists with life," the student continues. "Now, sir, is there such a thing as evil?"

Now uncertain, the professor responds, "Of course, there is.  We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man.  It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world These  manifestations are nothing else but evil." 

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God.  God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

aj

So what do archeology students believe? Is there such thing as clovis people? I watched a tv program the other night. They had their theory that man may have walked with dinasaurs say 10,000 years ago. There are reports of dragons in the bible and they may have been referering to dinasaurs. Also dinasaurs may have been included on the arc in the form as eggs. This was interesting to me. Again I am not willing to lump say archaeologists in the group of atheist or religious. I still think that the two views will blend together. Again I don't believe in the big bang theory yet I still think man has been on the planet at least 16,500 years and this is in the Americas.

JbarL

aj said:
So what do archeology students believe? Is there such thing as clovis people? I watched a tv program the other night. They had their theory that man may have walked with dinasaurs say 10,000 years ago. There are reports of dragons in the bible and they may have been referering to dinasaurs. Also dinasaurs may have been included on the arc in the form as eggs. This was interesting to me. Again I am not willing to lump say archaeologists in the group of atheist or religious. I still think that the two views will blend together. Again I don't believe in the big bang theory yet I still think man has been on the planet at least 16,500 years and this is in the Americas.

archeology students probally believe eveything theve been taught....( especially when there future livelyhood depends on it ) ...you dont have to be an archelogist to be a christian.....but you dont have to be a prietst to be a chhild molster either............there isnt a " "contemporary christian"
gourp that only believes " part of it".....the bilble is like a road map......except He doesnt tell you exactually which way to go at  every intersections....thats up to you...alot more people waste time worring about which way to go....and alot of folks go down any road with faith...jbarl

TJ

aj said:
Also dinasaurs may have been included on the arc in the form as eggs.

Based on Job, I think that dinosaurs were on the ark & they were already hatched/born, although not necessarily fully grown.  If my memory is correct, Genesis mentions animal pairs, but it never mentions anything about eggs.  Job speaks of the "behemoth", which sounds like a description of a big dinosaur, so I believe that dinosaurs were on the Ark.  I have no way of knowing for sure, but the animals on the Ark may have been pretty young, and quite possibly they were virgin animals, because it mentions 2's (male & female) & no offspring were mentioned, that I recall.  It's quite possible that the animals were not fully grown (pre-puberty) when they entered the Ark.  Also, that Ark was H-U-G-E according to the dimensions given in Genesis.  I saw a special on TV where they made a smaller Ark to scale & put it in a tank of water that was simulating giant waves & the Ark didn't tip over... it always rode the biggest waves & floated upright... lots of interesting things about that Ark... lots! 

aj

TJ....very interesting stuff. I know I have been biased because of paintings or whatever of just zebras,lions, etc. walking onto the arc(I have seen in sunday school and whatnot over the last 45 years). It seems so weird yet dinasaur wasn't a word back then. I know the show mentioned that their was a theory that possible people were created on several continents by god at the same time. It just seems like to me carbon based dating is very accurate unless some kind of weird time warp occured. Science theories are constantly changing. Right now there is the time discrepency between the two factions. It would be cool to know what science will say 100 years from now. To me this is the ultimate puzzle.....the ultimate who done it?..... I know I have found little marine life shells all around (in a semi arid area). It seems like to me this country was wet not all that long ago....possibly after the alti-thermal. These little shells are miles away from current creeks. I know even the historical evidence is cool. I have fence staples on section lines on ground as flat as a pancake. There were apparently barb wire fences on every quarter(160 acres). There was a sod house on evry quarter. I have found coal, broken homesteader pottery, on and on.Erosion is always exposing some new evidence of the human condition.jmo

chambero

Humans were not on this planet when dinosaurs were.  We showed up around 60+ million years later.  That's million.  Humans have only been around about 2 million years.  There weren't very many of us until around 15-20,000 years. 

How did Noah get platypus's from the Austrailian continent on the Ark?  The bible is remarkably accurate in the order thinigs were created and the "big stuff", but the Genesis stories were written down long after they actually happened.  There is lots of geologic and archeological evidence other than the bible that there was a really big flood in the middle east a few thousand years BC.  I forget the projected date.  It most likely occurred because sea levels were much higher than previous times due to the ending of the last ice age and melting of the glaciers. The water broke through from the Mediterranean and there was a huge flood in the middle east.  Probably wiped out most of "known" civilization. 

The flood covered the known world, but it probably didn't cover the the whole world.  There is not remotely enough water on the earth, in the earth, or in the air cumulatively to do that. I believe there was a Noah, and an Ark - that was built because God told him to.  He physically couldn't have gotten every animal in the world on it.  He probably did get every useful animal that their lives depended on it.

In regards to archeologists, where are the best archeology schools at in this country?  Answer - mostly private, christian universities such as Southern Methodist University, Notre Dame, etc.  To a little bit lesser extent, the same goes for paleontology.  Baylor University is the largest Baptist school in Texas and they have a great geology program. 

Do you really think the religous leaders of these schools are allowing things to be taught that are completely contradictory to their mission.  Short story - most archeologists, paleontologists, and geologists - including professors - aren't atheists.  Many archeology projects are FUNDED by the major religions.

This whole creation vs. science argument is made up by EXTREMELY conservative right-wing christians - who really aren't even real leaders of any particular christian religion.  Most of us hear the argument from small town preachers, many of whom have actual religous training that is dubious at best if you really looked at it, let alone knowledge of other fields.  Some of those preachers can be the best there is at what they do.  But the most extreme of them think they know everything about everything and don't mind trying to lead their flocks toward their own personal ideas.

They are just trying to stir up arguments to gain attention for themselves.  If science was widely thought by true religous leaders to be so wrong and contradictory to the bible, do you really think religous universities would teach it?

TJ

chambero said:
Humans were not on this planet when dinosaurs were...

The flood covered the known world, but it probably didn't cover the the whole world... 

If science was widely thought by true religous leaders to be so wrong and contradictory to the bible, do you really think religous universities would teach it?

The Book of Job speaks of the behemoth which is described as having a tail like a tall cedar.  The specific tree which is compared to the behemoth's tail is not a small tree.  If it wasn't a dinosaur, what was it?  Only dinosaurs have tails that resemble a tree.   

The Bible teaches that the flood covered the whole earth.  You probably wont agree with me, but I trust the Bible more than I do modern science.  Actually, the Bible has made science look pretty foolish at times.   

BTW, for those who have eyes to see it, the Ark is a picture of the new birth. 

The leaders of a major religious denomination were extremely wrong about the earth being flat, despite the Bible teaching that they were wrong.  The Bible says that the earth is round (a sphere) & hangs on nothing.  You can put your trust in religious universities or denominations or leaders all you want.  However, I will ONLY put my trust in Jesus Christ.  Many "Religious people" can & will be wrong.  Many of the top Religious leaders of Jesus day were VERY wrong.  However, the Bible is never wrong & the Holy Spirit bears witness to that fact, so that I know that I know that it's the truth.  I don't understand everything in the Bible, but you'd have better success telling me that the ice cream that I just ate wasn't real.       

aj

Why is the bible never wrong. Anything that man has made has had flaws. The Titantic was insinkable. What could possibly go wrong with the Apollo 13 mission? How could the Yankees or the Dallas Cowboys not make the big dance? Isn't the bible written by man with all kinds of interpetation, translation, and trans-scribing. The talaban believe that there book is gospel. They don't question it. They just blow up people cause by god they are right. The bible is an amazing document I will agree. But it seems like to me it can be interpeted 100 different ways to meet your own ends sometimes. Why can't science and the gospel come together? Why does it make a difference whether or not man has been in the Americas 20,000 years or 6,000 years. I would think right or wrong is more important than the arguement than when did man get here. Why is it so hard to stomach that man may have been here earlier than some religous  people fight tooth and nail over.jmo

TJ

aj said:
Why is the bible never wrong. Anything that man has made has had flaws.

2 Timothy 3:16... "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness..."

2 Peter 1:20-21... "20  Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation.  21  For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

50+ times the Bible refers to itself as "Scripture".  Most are of those verses are referencing OT verses, but as you can see below in 2 Peter 3:15-16, Peter says that Paul's wrote "with the wisdom that God gave him" & Peter clearly implies that Paul's letters (most of the New Testament) are Scripture.

2 Peter 3:15-16... "15 Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction."

aj said:
Why is it so hard to stomach that man may have been here earlier than some religous  people fight tooth and nail over

I'm just telling you what the Bible says... you can believe it or not believe it.  I'm not fighting over anything, I'm simple telling you what I believe & why. 

knabe

TJ said:
Why is it so hard to stomach that man may have been here earlier than some religous  people fight tooth and nail over
I'm just telling you what the Bible says... you can believe it or not believe it.  I'm not fighting over anything, I'm simple telling you what I believe & why. 
[/quote]

was the light and darkness created on the 1st or 4th day?

many others.  also many mistranlations in the king james version, one of which is the red sea i think.

chambero

For anyone interested in the original question that started this topic, there is a very good series on the topic on The History Channel called How the Earth was Made.  At least from the scientific viewpoint.

JbarL

aj said:
Why is the bible never wrong. Anything that man has made has had flaws. The Titantic was insinkable. What could possibly go wrong with the Apollo 13 mission? How could the Yankees or the Dallas Cowboys not make the big dance? Isn't the bible written by man with all kinds of interpetation, translation, and trans-scribing. The talaban believe that there book is gospel. They don't question it. They just blow up people cause by god they are right. The bible is an amazing document I will agree. But it seems like to me it can be interpeted 100 different ways to meet your own ends sometimes. Why can't science and the gospel come together? Why does it make a difference whether or not man has been in the Americas 20,000 years or 6,000 years. I would think right or wrong is more important than the arguement than when did man get here. Why is it so hard to stomach that man may have been here earlier than some religous  people fight tooth and nail over.jmo

aj ....for the life of me i cant figure out if your trying to talk yourself into becoming a scientist or out of being a christian, or vice versa....either way i can  see you seem to struggle with this  for some reason...i wish you all the best with your decisions.....it seems that what your going to have to figure out is......what do you feel more comfortable living with/ or with out ......the  ambiguity of science or the bible....in the future...whatwould you be more comfortable teaching your kids about life??...the the mysteries of science or the  bible........its not a  multiple choice question....its a revelent way of life eventually...no matter whiich way you choose............my best to you aj.....jbarl