bull pic to rip apart

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackdiamond

frostback said:
Might find a different way to feed hay, he rubbed his crest off too.

Ha.  It's almost funny (your comments).

Attachments

• Ha, you wish witch..jpg
    Ha, you wish witch..jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 120

blackdiamond

frostback said:
Ha,,, thanks for making me laugh I was having a bad day until that.

I'll take that as a compliment, since that's the only fault you can find.. (lol) (clapping)

jaimiediamond

blackdiamond said:
Another picture to shred apart- took this morning out in the lot.  Sun was shining, and he didn't have a ton of mud in him. 

Attached a straight from behind view too-- for those of you who think one foot forward from the 3/4 rear view- yields an upside down triangle..  O wait, it does-- until you look straight from behind.

Although, he's not the most muscular bull in the world- I' think there is plenty their for a heifer bull.

Disposition, is awesome- 2 times a halter on, he's broke enough to lead through the yard- ask my feed guy! 

How old is this calf?

knabe

blackdiamond said:
List them

Then show me the ideal that you've produced...

BD, don't be a tyrant.  you asked for comments, then when you got them, you added a qualifier.

i like that you are raising shorthorns.  i think you need some canadian in them.  they're ok for me.

blackdiamond

jaimiediamond said:
blackdiamond said:
Another picture to shred apart- took this morning out in the lot.  Sun was shining, and he didn't have a ton of mud in him. 

Attached a straight from behind view too-- for those of you who think one foot forward from the 3/4 rear view- yields an upside down triangle..  O wait, it does-- until you look straight from behind.

Although, he's not the most muscular bull in the world- I' think there is plenty their for a heifer bull.

Disposition, is awesome- 2 times a halter on, he's broke enough to lead through the yard- ask my feed guy! 

How old is this calf?

He turned 12 months in Jan.  I put a halter on him for the first time the week before christmas... and the 2nd time last weekend when he was rough clipped. 

He has been with 10 heifers for almost 2 months now. 

He is on a grass bale, and a worn out stalk field- actually--this is what it looks like, and two of the heifers in with him...

Attachments

• IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    916.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    839.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    817.9 KB · Views: 135

Doc

Do you ever let a bull get to a decent service age before you turn him to breed cows? Seems like every time you post a pic of a bull , you've turned him in to service cows when they've been from 10 months old to 12 months old.

frostback

Doc said:
Do you ever let a bull get to a decent service age before you turn him to breed cows? Seems like every time you post a pic of a bull , you've turned him in to service cows when they've been from 10 months old to 12 months old.

Not only that,  but what about some condition on him?
http://www.agrilabs.com/t-BHWS10B-Bulls.aspx
http://www.extension.umn.edu/beef/components/homestudy/lesson3h.PDF
Body Condition. Ranchers often disagree about the correct body condition for a breeding bull. Bulls should have enough condition to be strong with some reserves of energy in the form of fat. The required amount of condition will vary with time of year, age, size and kind of rangeland, length of breeding season, and the number of cows per bull. A body condition score of 5 to 6 is generally recommended for range bulls entering the breeding season.
Just a quote from another article. It might help.

knabe

blackdiamond said:
Attached a straight from behind view too-- for those of you who think one foot forward from the 3/4 rear view- yields an upside down triangle..  O wait, it does-- until you look straight from behind.

to be clear, earlier you said "Just looking to get him ripped apart by the triangle trio."  that's why i added the triangle comment in addition to him standing like a triangle.

oh wait, even from behind, he's still narrow based.

blackdiamond

Doc said:

I'd rather have calves-- than bulls that look good.

I wanted to AI this group of heifers, but couldn't catch any of them in heat between winter daylight and working 10 hours every day.  Leave in the dark, come home in the dark- you know... Pretty damn hard to catch heat...To me, getting those heifers bred is more important to my checkbook.  Some of them were already behind in life, as they were summer borns, and I wanted to hold them all back to calve all in Sept. 

I feel this bull is going to be a breeding bull for first calf heifers that works really well, so why put off getting calves from him?  If a bull isn't mature enough to breed by 12 months, what good is he?  We get calves from 10-12 month old bulls all the time. 

Bulls are here to do a job- if they're not working-- they're costing money and tearing **** up. 

blackdiamond

knabe said:
blackdiamond said:

to be clear, earlier you said "Just looking to get him ripped apart by the triangle trio."  that's why i added the triangle comment in addition to him standing like a triangle.

oh wait, even from behind, he's still narrow based.

I agree he's not the widest assed, or based bull- but I'm not keeping him for that purpose- however, with that in mind, I think he's got more to him than most highly promoted 'heifer bulls'. 

That's why I've got this bull:

Attachments

• IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    839.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    994.7 KB · Views: 122

knabe

i too work about 10 hours a day and commute about 1.5 each way.

it's pretty easy to catch females in heat in the morning around 5-6 am and 7-10 pm.  try buying some patches or chalk. 

typically if they are coming in heat a little chalk will be rubbed off in the pm and then rubbed off completely in the am. 

i'm not sure what the difficulty is.  been doing it that way for about 6 years now.  yeah i only have typically 5-6 at home, but it's not that hard. 

you could also synch them which i've done off and on as well and adjust your schedule for a quick couple of days.  that's easy too. 

what producers do you know that mirror your management techniques?

blackdiamond

frostback said:
Doc said:

Not only that,  but what about some condition on him?
http://www.agrilabs.com/t-BHWS10B-Bulls.aspx
http://www.extension.umn.edu/beef/components/homestudy/lesson3h.PDF
Body Condition. Ranchers often disagree about the correct body condition for a breeding bull. Bulls should have enough condition to be strong with some reserves of energy in the form of fat. The required amount of condition will vary with time of year, age, size and kind of rangeland, length of breeding season, and the number of cows per bull. A body condition score of 5 to 6 is generally recommended for range bulls entering the breeding season.
Just a quote from another article. It might help.

I prefer to raise cattle than can do it on their own.. Survival of the fittest for the most part.  Most of those heifers haven't had 50 pounds of grain in their life--

I have no use for fat little made bulls.

knabe said:
i too work about 10 hours a day and commute about 1.5 each way.

it's pretty easy to catch females in heat in the morning around 5-6 am and 7-10 pm.  try buying some patches or chalk. 

typically if they are coming in heat a little chalk will be rubbed off in the pm and then rubbed off completely in the am. 

i'm not sure what the difficulty is.  been doing it that way for about 6 years now.  yeah i only have typically 5-6 at home, but it's not that hard. 

you could also synch them which i've done off and on as well and adjust your schedule for a quick couple of days.  that's easy too. 

what producers do you know that mirror your management techniques?

I tried the patches-- just couldn't get them to work for me.  I've used them with Lut sych'ing programs, and with CIDR timed AI breeding too.  I just aren't happy with the results I appeared to get.  Seemed like they didn't stay on in wet weather either- and the times I was gearing the heifers to come into heat-- it would sleet. 

I do intend on trying them better this next time around I'd like to AI a group.  It's not bad breeding for anything but Sept calves though.

I know a few people with similar production beliefs- my partner is the leading candidate.  With that said, the number of people raising colored, non-red shorthorns following this- is limited.  Cattle that can survive and reproduce on minimal input and make some profit-- but when fed grain can perform quite well and compete in the showring. 

The other thing is these sheep== they are worse than the Trumps of the shorthorn world-- big, hard doing, high maintaince.  I've pretty much got to live in the barn with them year round--

That's why I want easy to raise, moderate, easy keeping cattle.. I get enough of big and showy in the most numerous species around here.

shortyjock89

Jody, do you breed your heifers at 12 months? Just curious. As far as a bull not working is costing you money, does it pencil out to your advantage to get a young bull hurt or not get the females bred because he wasn't up to the task?  The heifer bull looks nice for a 6 month old steer, pretty immature for a year old bull.

blackdiamond

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Jody, do you breed your heifers at 12 months? Just curious. As far as a bull not working is costing you money, does it pencil out to your advantage to get a young bull hurt or not get the females bred because he wasn't up to the task?  The heifer bull looks nice for a 6 month old steer, pretty immature for a year old bull.

Yes, I start watching for heat at 12 months on the heifers, and if I'm AI'ing- by 13, they have been bred ideally...  If they hit 14 months, and haven't been turned in with a bull yet- I'm off my game.

The bull is losing some mass since I turned him in.  I wish I would have had time to clip and picture him before I turned him in 2 months ago.  Didn't have time...  Moving, lambing, and trying to get settled in- take priority.

blackdiamond

best producing cow I've ever had on the place calved at 18 months, course I didn't breed her to do such- cuz she was bred when I bought her-- but none the less-- she calved at 18 months first time...

Attachments

• sweet pea.jpg
    sweet pea.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 132

shortyjock89

I guess different strokes and all that, but I see more problems with animals being pushed to reproduce earlier than life than I do with animals that are allowed to mature a bit. Is it worth it to have your heifers calve at 20 months if you can't get them to milk enough or breed back in a timely fashion?