c-section effect flushing?

Help Support Steer Planet:

trevorgreycattleco

I agree with OH Breeder. Do what makes you happy no matter what anyone else may think. Just because someone gives you a opinion doesn't mean you have to listen or even acknowledge it. One thing I have learned in my short career...... Everybody has their own way of doing things.  I have no problem with anything anybody has said. It's entertainment that sure beats t.v.! Who cares what direction a thread goes off to. It's just a web site where most everyone hides behind some code name so they can say these things. I have enjoyed this talk.

yuppiecowboy

I am late to the party. I just skimmed these threads as I noticed how this had gotten to 6 pages based on a seemingly innocuous question.

First of all, my earlier decision to have Jeff Schroeder as my write in vote for presidency is reaffirmed. Logic, reason, and common sense seems to be lost on the masses.

I have no idea how this thread went the way it did, but a certain flare for the dramatic and personal arose that I find unacceptable. Plus that person happens to be wrong. Interestingly, the sole support of this person happens to be our resident walking book of Revelations. Who was also wrong.

I should probably not put my cents in, as there is nothing gained by it. Quite often I see and hear things that are disturbingly contradictory to what i feel should be basic laws of our physical world. Me pointing them out on what is essentially a kids 4h forum doesn't change it.

Being stupid does not warrant preclusion from exercising an opinion. Attacking and insulting certainly should affect an individual to lose their voice expounding their (wrong)  opinion.

ranch4profit

DTW said:
If you have a problem with genetic defects in cattle DONT USE THEM.  But there are those of us that use them and know how to manage them by testing the offspring. 
And as far as your comment about clubby people not worried about making  money you are so off based you need to step out of the back forty and into reality.   I know several breeders in the clubby deal and they make a very very good living selling show cattle.

There is a place for show cattle as well as commercial in the beef industry and if you dont agree with that that is your opinion but you need to be more open minded. 
Show cattle is not an industry or a business.  It is a joke.  If u breed a bunch of clubby stuff u might just b able to sell a show calf.  There isn't that many buyers if you havent noticed and a whole lot of suppply.  if u sell a calf the buyer might just pick it up.  And, most of all, the buyer might just pay for the calf,  but probably not.  the calves that u are left with wont even sell at the sale barn because they are midget cripples.  So i just wonder, where might your cash flow come from to generate this very good living that you are talking about? 

DTW

ranch4profit said:
DTW said:
If you have a problem with genetic defects in cattle DONT USE THEM.  But there are those of us that use them and know how to manage them by testing the offspring. 
And as far as your comment about clubby people not worried about making  money you are so off based you need to step out of the back forty and into reality.   I know several breeders in the clubby deal and they make a very very good living selling show cattle.

There is a place for show cattle as well as commercial in the beef industry and if you dont agree with that that is your opinion but you need to be more open minded. 
Show cattle is not an industry or a business.  It is a joke.  If u breed a bunch of clubby stuff u might just b able to sell a show calf.  There isn't that many buyers if you havent noticed and a whole lot of suppply.  if u sell a calf the buyer might just pick it up.  And, most of all, the buyer might just pay for the calf,  but probably not.  the calves that u are left with wont even sell at the sale barn because they are midget cripples.  So i just wonder, where might your cash flow come from to generate this very good living that you are talking about?   
I have always gotten paid for the cattle that i  have sold for show cattle.  And the cattle i dont sell for show cattle have done just fine in the feedlots and at the sale barn.  Only have had two crippled calves in 8 years and one of them was out of an angus bull. 
You have to select the right cows to keep and just cant keep any little clubby female to produce show cattle.  Also i have mixed in some maternal genetics on some of the clubby females. 
I guess if you are not a good judge of cattle then you would have a difficult time selecting the right females and bulls to use and would end up with a bunch of junk. 

chambero

ranch4profit said:
[/quote]

That's just not accurate - unless someone had a really bad herd and I don't know anyone who does.  We do plenty of AIing to the steer lines and the ones not good enough to sell for show steers go right in on our truckloads of commercial calves to the feedlot buyers.  We get the performance data back on them and they do just as well if not better than our straight commercial Angus or Simangus calves.  And we have plenty of cows and about four years of carcass data on their calves to back up my statement.  I've still never seen anyone with actual data to backup the sorry showsteer bull theory.  Of course there are a few bad ones.  We had just as many bad outliers (not many in either case) with hereford x angus calves as we do for calves out of misc. Heatwave sons x crossbred cows.

justintime

Show cattle is not an industry or a business.  It is a joke.  If u breed a bunch of clubby stuff u might just b able to sell a show calf.  There isn't that many buyers if you havent noticed and a whole lot of suppply.  if u sell a calf the buyer might just pick it up.  And, most of all, the buyer might just pay for the calf,  but probably not.  the calves that u are left with wont even sell at the sale barn because they are midget cripples.  So i just wonder, where might your cash flow come from to generate this very good living that you are talking about?  
[/quote]

It is statements like this that make me about lose my mind. I fed cattle here for many years, and I saw cripples from every breed and we also fed lots of clubby sired calves. Chambero's comments are exactly right. Many of these clubby sired calves hang great carcasses. Some don't, but I also fed lots of straight bred so called ranch raised cattle that were disaster on the rail. You simply cannot  make statements like this. Many people make a very good living from producing and selling steers and heifers for show businesses. That sounds like a business to me. And what exactly is wrong with someone buying cattle and selling them at a profit ( ie : Trading cattle)? If this is wrong, then I suppose it is also wrong for a person to buy machinery, real estate or even stocks on the market and sell them for more than you purchased them for. Let's get real, the beef industry is a business regardless what little part you have it it.

Show Heifer

Definition of "business" - commerce, commercial or industrial establishment, occupation

So by definition, raising and selling "show cattle or club calves" is indeed a business.  So it is selling cocaine, hooking, making and selling meth. Also  included is making pies, selling cars, hay, corn, and labor.

It has nothing to do with "making profit" or being "right or ethical".

Just saying.....

Jill

Show Heifer said:
Definition of "business" - commerce, commercial or industrial establishment, occupation

So by definition, raising and selling "show cattle or club calves" is indeed a business.  So it is selling cocaine, hooking, making and selling meth. Also  included is making pies, selling cars, hay, corn, and labor.

It has nothing to do with "making profit" or being "right or ethical".

Just saying.....
Unless I have missed something, it is your business, the calves I have seen you advertise on here are being sold as "Show Cattle"