Duis Farms Catalog-video on line

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortdawg

Doc said:
Just booked my room. Looking forward to the sale, just hate that we're losing a great breeder & asset to the breed.

I hope to be neck deep in watermelons by then but I'd appreciate a ring when you go through them. I'm interested in a lot or two.

Doc

shortdawg said:
Doc said:
Just booked my room. Looking forward to the sale, just hate that we're losing a great breeder & asset to the breed.

I hope to be neck deep in watermelons by then but I'd appreciate a ring when you go through them. I'm interested in a lot or two.

Not a problem. Be glad to help anyone out , that can't make it & I will have a trailer with me.

stumpy

Catalogs are printed! If you want one call Craig or Bob. You can get their numbers on the website Mitch listed on the first post of this thread. Also if you need a room call Bob he has blocks at some of the closest hotels. This sale is going to be big! I recomend you make it to this sale. Not only the dispersal of a truely great cattleman, and wonderful freind, but a set of shorthorn genetics you won't ever find in one place.

sue

sue said:
1st let me say you folks that booked "a" room may want to extend your stay.... get there early and walk this group again and again...two nights may be more appropriate?.
Craig Fuller will be tied up but contact this young man ahead of time and just visit awhile with this young herdsman prior to arrival - he knows this group very well.
We walked through in the rain, the pastures are green and this may one of two opportunities in the spring of 2011 to see "sire groups" in one offering . Deep and wide. ( obviously RS had his offering on March 24th). Beaverville, IL is easy to find - this is a great educational piece for a young shorthorn breeder - you need to see sire groups offered in one sale. Dont skip this sale or think you cannot afford, just go and learn.

I have to throw Roan Sue in the mix of my picks of high selling donors- she had two outstanding heifer calves, one photoed as a half page- yep she is as good or better then the pic. The donor is a beast and from they say egg producer too. Hey Lora did again with Sundowner - only this time white heifer! That was my pick from last fall, the full sib sold for 30k.

My waco and or bull calf pics - Lot 43 - Deerhorn bred mama with a soft sound wide roan waco bull calf at side. He just has that short masculine neck, smooth jointed with this flank that appears to have alot of room . DF Denton is hairy but in the rain you could see a deep quarter and thick top. yep- you need to grab this pair Mitch, get a partner too.
Shadybrook bred - Scarlet with dark roan waco bull calf at side. I saw from 3 pasture runs away - her waco is alot like the calf above. She is pictured in the catalog- she is a DF gold eagle 0019 x DFS Red rider 839.

Sneed and Cindy did a great job with pics- the cattle are really that stout.
To clearify- Lot 43 sells with Waco sired bull calf DF Houston a favorite for me- again something for everyone ... Mitch realy why did you sell her??

itk

stumpy said:
Catalogs are printed! If you want one call Craig or Bob. You can get their numbers on the website Mitch listed on the first post of this thread. Also if you need a room call Bob he has blocks at some of the closest hotels. This sale is going to be big! I recomend you make it to this sale. Not only the dispersal of a truely great cattleman, and wonderful freind, but a set of shorthorn genetics you won't ever find in one place.

IMO this is right up there with Wankel's and Dean's (in my shorthorn lifetime) and since Bob also had access to genetic marketing that those two firms didn't this sale might even be bigger. No offense to Alden's, ARSULU, Rocker's, Greenridge and others but this is a true dispersal which I think really adds to the excitement of some of the lots selling. Maybe some of the more veteran breeders can put this sale into perspective against sales like Hoyt's and other breeders from past generations but I got to agree with stumpy that this is big and worth the trip just to be part of breed history.

Mitch

To answer Sue's question why I sold the 85C Cow.  We have a fall production sale and I wanted to offer some of my best cows bred to Waco. I offered 5 head of our top cows.  I know she was getting some age but WHAT a cow.  She was always the first one visitors notice because of her rib.
So Sue what do you think it will cost to buy the calf back?  DF Houston, even with Sonny on the top side, he has 3/4 of relative unused gentics at least this point  in time.

Mitch

JoeBnTN

itk said:
IMO this is right up there with Wankel's and Dean's (in my shorthorn lifetime) and since Bob also had access to genetic marketing that those two firms didn't this sale might even be bigger. No offense to Alden's, ARSULU, Rocker's, Greenridge and others but this is a true dispersal which I think really adds to the excitement of some of the lots selling. Maybe some of the more veteran breeders can put this sale into perspective against sales like Hoyt's and other breeders from past generations but I got to agree with stumpy that this is big and worth the trip just to be part of breed history.

Anytime you have a breeder who has built this kind of genetic base disperse you have great opportunity.  It's hard to compare to some of the sales you mentioned, if for no other reason than shear numbers.  Bob has built an incredibly strong select herd, but the numbers are relatively small.  Compared to the Hoyt Dispersal where you were overwhelmed by the shear number of top cattle, it's impossible to make an apples to apples comparison.  The biggest differentiators in my mind might have to be the herd bulls selling.  At Hoyt's you had Seven T's Greg, TNT Fastrak (the National Champion at the time) that we bought, and interest in several other bulls that were "hot" at the time.  Because of the nature of Hoyt's sale, it took on a different atmosphere - but still a great active crowd.  Probably one of my favorite sales of all time - just because of the cattle I saw go through the ring.

In both cases (as well as the ones you mentioned, plus older operations like Sutherland and Ashborne Farms,Mill Brook Shorthorns, and at least a half dozen others I can think of, breeders  were offered access to the best genetics of that era - usually at a price point that was slightly less than their previous production sales.

sue

Mitch said:
To answer Sue's question why I sold the 85C Cow.  We have a fall production sale and I wanted to offer some of my best cows bred to Waco. I offered 5 head of our top cows.  I know she was getting some age but WHAT a cow.  She was always the first one visitors notice because of her rib.
So Sue what do you think it will cost to buy the calf back?  DF Houston, even with Sonny on the top side, he has 3/4 of relative unused gentics at least this point  in time.

Mitch

I get it Mitch- I think you have to sell what will create profit for the buyer.
I hope to be in the seats to see both of them sell. I really liked the 85 C daughters at Deerhorn in 2005-

stumpy

They got most of the vidoes done of the donors and mature cows. By the time thet edit and fomat and such the vidoes should be on Bob's website by this Friday. Should be fun to burn the evenings looking at them!

Okotoks

I was reading the catalogue on the weekend and found it interesting as Duis seems to have a breeding program that produces herd bulls as well as heifers. Of the herd bulls which ones are working the best? The two full brothers Tuscaloosa and Talledega look impressive!

Mitch

Now that the catalog is out what is everyone's take on the cattle.  What do you think of the bull calves  being offered? I think every bull offered would make a herd bull.
Let me know what you think.

stumpy

The bull calves do look very good. The Breeding age bulls can be put to work right away (rest your breeding arm!) after the sale. The calves will show very well and go onto be quality breeding peices for their new owners.

Mitch

Stumpy,  I see you are having a sale this fall.  What are you selling?  What type of sale will it be?

Mitch

stumpy

Thanks for noticing Mitch. We are selling purebred and plus hiefers, one bull on this sale (maybe shares, still sorting this out) and maybe a couple of steers, along with flushes and eggs. I think we will do a bid off that can be on the phone, sealed bid or in person.

shortdawg

Breaking news ! Got mine today !

Some great cattle in the Duis Sale - wish I was rich as I am poor !!!