Heatwave 5 Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

Carlson Cattle said:
yes you have confused me can you refrase that??

She looks thick but female  like she oughta-if shell milk and have a live calf-then shed sure be a candidate for some of the really stout clean maine clubby deals out there.

What Mark said, "She is a thick female like she ought to be (because of her pedigree). If she will milk and have a live calf then she would be a candidate for some really stout and clean clubby maine calves in the future." Hope I am right Mark, you always give some of the best advice!  O0

Warrior10

Jelps said:
showsteernc said:
Carlson Cattle said:
she was born in April 2011 and this pic was takin this last weekend @ county fair
How much does she weigh? She looks like she could use a major shot of growth to me.
How do you give a calf a shot of growth? I have a heifer that is real short that could use it! Granted she is a mono x wmw...
Breed her to a bull that is known for throwing larger frame calves

kfacres

I could have guessed...

:))) <deadhorse>

I would come up with a smart ass comment about giving shots of growth, but somebody would think I was serious-- and actually do something really stupid.

<deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse>

jphelps

outspoken said:
I could have guessed...

I would come up with a smart ass comment about giving shots of growth, but somebody would think I was serious-- and actually do something really stupid.

<deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse> <deadhorse>

It was a sarcastic comment on my part. If only there was such a thing <rock>

Carlson Cattle

so getta calf this first year then breed her to something tall and long for a bull?? Like boardwalk would he work?

kfacres

Jelps said:
outspoken said:
I could have guessed...

I thought so- and I should have played along...  It would have been entertaining.

Carlson Cattle said:
so getta calf this first year then breed her to something tall and long for a bull?? Like boardwalk would he work?

ya buddy, breed for long and tall--- and boardwalk-- he's sure as I'm sitting here not long and tall...  Do a search for fullblood Chi pictures  that's long and tall.. speaking of which-- If I were you, I'd breed her to Sugar Ray-- that would be a knock out of the park, cannot miss homerun... and I'm sure you could find his semen fairly cheap.

Cattle Cards

Ok, where to begin.  Young man, there's been a lot of talk on here and another thread about your Heat Wave heifer and breeding. 

First, not all Heat Waves are the same.  I've seen some and own one.  There's the early maturing steer type heifers (that are too fat and can have trouble getting bred), and the long, smooth, feminine ones.  I just saw a couple of pastures full of calves in OK and they were definitely not the same.  Different cows throw different calves.  People forget in genetics that the animal gets half of their genes from the sire and half from the dam. 

Second, your heifer, based only on the picture, is on the small side.  I recently saw a Sept. Heat Wave heifer that height and more stout.  So, you need to listen to the guys that are telling you to breed small.  Calving ease Angus.  Don't ask me who.  Find out who your local AI technician is as see who's semen he carries.  Is he an ABS rep?  Select Sires?  Independent?  As him/her for the books and look at the bulls that are calving ease proven.  A Simmental bull that is a good calving ease bull is only on Simmental or older cows.  It does not mean you can use them on your heifer.  So find an Angus bull you like that proven and pull the trigger.

Third, back to her size/weight how much are you feeding her?  What are you feeding her?  She appears healthy but based on the picture she needs more groceries.  I would consider getting more growth out of her and filling her out some more before breeding.  You can always breed for a late calf and gain it up in a year or two if she does well.  But DO NOT get her fat.  You want  her to grow up and out. If she's just fat, that will make breeding difficult and calving a problem too.  You will compound the problems that clubby bred heifers can have.

Last, get out of these forums and get out in the real world.  Look for breeders, producers, your AI technician, Ag teacher, County Extension Agent, 4-H beef leader and other people that you can talk to face to face and maybe even have come evaluate your heifer, feeding program, etc.

What I am telling you is not new.  I'm just summing up what everyone here has already told you in one form or another.  I hope you take this as help instruction as it is what I've intended.  And I'll be first to tell you that I don't know it all.  But I know enough to know when to ask for help and to go looking for answers.  This may not be the best place to get it.  People were doing all of this way before there were computers and forums.  And the added benefit is that you will learn to communicate better as well.  Best of luck.
<cowboy>

kfacres

Cattle Cards said:
Ok, where to begin.  Young man, there's been a lot of talk on here and another thread about your Heat Wave heifer and breeding. 

First, not all Heat Waves are the same.  I've seen some and own one.  There's the early maturing steer type heifers (that are too fat and can have trouble getting bred), and the long, smooth, feminine ones.  I just saw a couple of pastures full of calves in OK and they were definitely not the same.  Different cows throw different calves.  People forget in genetics that the animal gets half of their genes from the sire and half from the dam. 

Second, your heifer, based only on the picture, is on the small side.  I recently saw a Sept. Heat Wave heifer that height and more stout.  So, you need to listen to the guys that are telling you to breed small.  Calving ease Angus.  Don't ask me who.  Find out who your local AI technician is as see who's semen he carries.  Is he an ABS rep?  Select Sires?  Independent?  As him/her for the books and look at the bulls that are calving ease proven.  A Simmental bull that is a good calving ease bull is only on Simmental or older cows.  It does not mean you can use them on your heifer.  So find an Angus bull you like that proven and pull the trigger.

Third, back to her size/weight how much are you feeding her?  What are you feeding her?  She appears healthy but based on the picture she needs more groceries.  I would consider getting more growth out of her and filling her out some more before breeding.  You can always breed for a late calf and gain it up in a year or two if she does well.  But DO NOT get her fat.  You want  her to grow up and out. If she's just fat, that will make breeding difficult and calving a problem too.  You will compound the problems that clubby bred heifers can have.

Last, get out of these forums and get out in the real world.  Look for breeders, producers, your AI technician, Ag teacher, County Extension Agent, 4-H beef leader and other people that you can talk to face to face and maybe even have come evaluate your heifer, feeding program, etc.

What I am telling you is not new.  I'm just summing up what everyone here has already told you in one form or another.  I hope you take this as help instruction as it is what I've intended.  And I'll be first to tell you that I don't know it all.  But I know enough to know when to ask for help and to go looking for answers.  This may not be the best place to get it.  People were doing all of this way before there were computers and forums.  And the added benefit is that you will learn to communicate better as well.  Best of luck.
<cowboy>

I sent him a PM last week- and another the week before, and another to week before that-- and I never got a response... ALl basically said the exact same thing.  Either he doesn't know what a PM is, or he refueses to respond to one.  I dont' live all that far from him- atleast I don't think I do, and would be glad to give him some pointers, as I am planning a trip into Iowa shortly as well. 

Warrior10

Jelps said:
outspoken said:
I could have guessed...

Thats my bad, wasn't sure if it was meant to be or not so I just went with the straight forward answer!  (thumbsup)

CAB

outspoken said:
Cattle Cards said:

<cowboy>

I sent him a PM last week- and another the week before, and another to week before that-- and I never got a response... ALl basically said the exact same thing.  Either he doesn't know what a PM is, or he refueses to respond to one.  I dont' live all that far from him- atleast I don't think I do, and would be glad to give him some pointers, as I am planning a trip into Iowa shortly as well. 
Mentioned that he/she was from Lake City, Iowa. There are plenty of PPL in their area that would be excellent resources for them. Not far from Collison's & not far from all of the Lautners, Wolf's, Wallaces & on & on.

Mainevent

Carlson what we are saying is breed small, get a live calf, and then work on everything after that. On the calf like everyone else has said wait to breed in my opinion get her a little more condition and time a calf can help you catch up of you breed late. Also you what CAB and outspoken are saying is you live in the heartland of show calves plenty of people who are more than helpful to juniors trying to get a start. Also everyone on this website are trying to help.

mark tenenbaum

outspoken said:
mark tenenbaum said:
She looks thick but female  like she oughta-if shell milk and have a live calf-then shed sure be a candidate for some of the really stout clean maine clubby deals out there. O0

Mark T-- you're going to confuse this kid as ****-- he's not going to be able to interpret your Applicaian Mountain, Backyard woods, hillybilly talk. O0///// Talking about 2nd calf-BA George Washington University, MS-George Washington University-Grad Studies-Columbia University New York( UH DATS IVY LEAGUE BOY)-This Hillbilly will put his academinc record against you and alot of other people;and not only dat-had a cuple national show winners 2 YUK YUK O0

kfacres

mark tenenbaum said:
outspoken said:
mark tenenbaum said:
She looks thick but female  like she oughta-if shell milk and have a live calf-then shed sure be a candidate for some of the really stout clean maine clubby deals out there. O0

Mark T-- you're going to confuse this kid as ****-- he's not going to be able to interpret your Applicaian Mountain, Backyard woods, hillybilly talk. O0///// Talking about 2nd calf-BA George Washington University, MS-George Washington University-Grad Studies-Columbia University New York( UH DATS IVY LEAGUE BOY)-This Hillbilly will put his academinc record against you and alot of other people;and not only dat-had a cuple national show winners 2 YUK YUK O0

masters--- that's YUP YUK>>>

mark tenenbaum

Muddy Creek Show Cattle said:
Carlson Cattle said:
yes you have confused me can you refrase that??

She looks thick but female  like she oughta-if shell milk and have a live calf-then shed sure be a candidate for some of the really stout clean maine clubby deals out there.

What Mark said, "She is a thick female like she ought to be (because of her pedigree). If she will milk and have a live calf then she would be a candidate for some really stout and clean clubby maine calves in the future." Hope I am right Mark, you always give some of the best advice!  O0//// THANX Muddy Creek-U dun translated my lingo-gotta read btween da lines ta conjur meaning from us APPALACHIAN (dats how it be spelled) hillbillys  O0

mark tenenbaum

outspoken said:
mark tenenbaum said:
outspoken said:
mark tenenbaum said:

//// YUK YUP is reserved for the females YOU IDOLIZE-the Max Rosas-now there are proud but distant products of my breeding pogram(I mean program)

masters--- that's YUP YUK>>>////

kfacres

mark tenenbaum said:
outspoken said:
mark tenenbaum said:
outspoken said:
mark tenenbaum said:

//// YUK YUP is reserved for the females YOU IDOLIZE-the Max Rosas-now there are proud but distant products of my breeding pogram(I mean program)

masters--- that's YUP YUK>>>////

I'm a hater of all females...  btw: found a pic of the TCS TEchnical bull today... 

kfacres

hntwhitetail said:
Breed her for a 35lb angus heifer calf.

I have a Red Angus bull that doesn't average much more than that, regardless of what kind of heifer he's bred to. 

Could the majority of Heatwave daughters deliver a Jersey sired calf at 24 months of age?

Latest posts