Heatwave genetics

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Have the show cattle people snuck any heatwave genetics into the Red Angus breed yet? I know there is a Shorthorn bull who is a heatwave son being promoted. Was heatwave polled?

knabe

heatwave throws red and on polled cattle throws polls.

a shorthorn bull isn't a shorthorn that's a heatwave.  he's a composite.

heatwave was polled after he was dehorned.

i know of a miniature hereford heatwave son being promoted.

you might need a microscope to see the udders on daughters.

DLD

It wouldn't surprise me if there were a (at least one) Heat Wave sired bull registered in any breed.  His calves are very often colored just like their mothers.

A Heat Wave/Mini Hereford?  I don't doubt it, but that might really stink if you were trying to use him for calving ease...

DakotaCow

knabe said:
heatwave was polled after he was dehorned.

So does that mean my horse is a unicorn that has been dehorned? I wouldnt call a bull polled if he was dehorned. Just sayin.

aj

Has anyone got a idea of why in the breed shows all the steers of 13 different breeds look exactly the same......except color. Aren't breeds supposed to look different and be used for different purposes and trait strengths.

knabe

It's not clear any judge will advance two different body types that excel for different markets.

People would moan all day long they were inconsistent.

LostFarmer

Market steer class should be about meat in the box in a pretty package.  That means big hip, big top, deep round and enough chuck to balance him up.  Clean front end and moves out or pretty. 

The breed should not matter as you are looking for product.  If the judge is getting it right then the animals should look similar regardless of breed. 

knabe

Holstein steers have proven value in the box.

Heck they are even used for a premium product.

cowpoke

aj said:
Have the show cattle people snuck any heatwave genetics into the Red Angus breed yet? I know there is a Shorthorn bull who is a heatwave son being promoted. Was heatwave polled?
Heatwave and his clones will go down in history as one the best for siring show steers.Leachmans theory to have all cattle look the same and be able to still have the advantage of crossing different breeds was pretty successfull until they had major financial problems.We used to think F-1s were best and using a third cross for terminal steers[example AngusxHerefordxCharlois]Heat wave adds bone hair and style all of which are desirable in the show ring.A bull that sires maternal heifers with excellent udders and longevity more than likely wont sire steers that will win in todays showring.I see several cow herds and the ones with the really good cows usually have the really good calves pretty simple math.Bulls need to look like bulls and cows like females and too many judges havent spent enough time calving or breeding cattle that function in the real world.Several people have tried but Lautner Farms have and continue to have the bulls that dominate the show ring.

aj

So the only thing holding heatwave back in being used by the "beef industry" .........as a terminal cross.......is his 160# bwt?

frostback

aj said:
So the only thing holding heatwave back in being used by the "beef industry" .........as a terminal cross.......is his 160# bwt?

Five years of the same whinny comments. If you dont like the bull dont use him.  Can you please come up with something new?

aj

I was replying to cowpoke frosback. But I'm assuming you are threating to launch a complaints to the moderator campaign. If we can't discuss Heatwave can we discuss double stuff. Thanks in advance.

knabe

there's no need to report to the moderator.  nothing in the thread is controversial. 

we all just wish you would raise an alternative if it's such a problem or in need of a solution.

rackranch

If you need to know anything about heatwave go back and search your own threads.  I'm sure every heatwave topic has been covered within your own post.

aj said:
I was replying to cowpoke frosback. But I'm assuming you are threating to launch a complaints to the moderator campaign. If we can't discuss Heatwave can we discuss double stuff. Thanks in advance.