I provide the carcass data...you guess the breed

Help Support Steer Planet:

Eggbert

Nate you exactly right...it was a curveball.  They were a breed that you wouldn't expect to receive CAB.

nate53 said:
Eggbert said:
Here is another hint...we received the Certified Angus Beef premium for 2 of the 32.  

Hint?  Maybe more like a curve ball.  We used to have some longhorns go CAB (they weren't black). ;) 
Shorty

Eggbert

AJ - the point is many on here may not expect Shorthorns do well on the rail, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. 

No show ration...only a home mixed ration using a PTO driven roller/mixer.  It was a corn, oats, protein supplement (DDG based).  The ration is reasonable in cost since we mix it our self, but I am sure that large feedlots can create a lower cost ration since they may access to lower cost ingredients (other byproducts that are not available in our area, etc.).  No special additives and they were not implanted.

I agree with your last statement...this data would be more valuable if 32 head of other breeds were raised and fed in the same manner.  In that case, I still think that the marbling ability of Shorthorns would be evident. 

aj said:
Not sure what the point of this is......but what was the feeding regiment? Where they allowed access to whole corn as babies and then put on a unecomical show ration of some kind or were they put on low cost feedlot ration.....fed special additives    etc.. Th e end product doesn't matter it is how the cattle compare to other cattle under the same ration.

kfacres

last time I checked- purebred shorthorns cannot be black..

I also remember you stating that two of the 32 went CAB- and I'm pretty sure they must be 51% black to hit that market?

Explain?

obie105

If there weren't any blacks it could be the mexican stamping on the kill floor stamped wrong or cattle got mixed in his lot especially if it was the laat 2 or the first 2 of the lot. Those things happen all of the time. I worked at a plant for several years both in quality assurance on the kill floor and in accounting where I paid for cattle.

HAB

HF CHARS said:
Ggonna say Galloway ,,high marbling,efficient cattle that are overlooked by the industry

Even though I know the cattle in question weren't not Galloways, HF  I like your way of thinking.  (clapping)

Galloways will give you very similar carcass results to what was posted, with most being  YG 1 and 2.  They get the CAB premium too.

Congrats Eggbert for this accomplishment.  Good cattle are good cattle, and Shorthorns worked for you.

jaimiediamond

Congratulations Eggbert your steers did fantastically!! I've witnessed red and roan steers being called Angus in our Canadian program when the hide comes off may the best carcass be claimed.

foil

What is the genetic base of this set of shorthorn market cattle?

wiseguy

Congrats to Highland Farms!!! That is absolutely great data. Maybe Shorthorn University should have taken the time to stop in and see your operation?  ;D

foil

Don't mean to hijack, but was shorthorn university good this year?  Surprised there wasn't more emphaisis placed on history as well as progression of the breed in Illinois by visiting more breeders, like Smithers'.

GONEWEST

aj said:
Not sure what the point of this is......but what was the feeding regiment? Where they allowed access to whole corn as babies and then put on a unecomical show ration of some kind or were they put on low cost feedlot ration.....fed special additives    etc.. Th e end product doesn't matter it is how the cattle compare to other cattle under the same ration.

I read this about an hour ago and fainted because I agree with what AJ said. Just woke up.

kfacres

obie105 said:
If there weren't any blacks it could be the mexican stamping on the kill floor stamped wrong or cattle got mixed in his lot especially if it was the laat 2 or the first 2 of the lot. Those things happen all of the time. I worked at a plant for several years both in quality assurance on the kill floor and in accounting where I paid for cattle.
It's just dawned on me...  If you've got mistakes such as red cattle hitting CAB-- then how can you take those carcass results and ethically use them for proof of actual carcass?  No, I'm not going to complain to the packer-- but I also not going to run around promoting that carcass was superior-- without actually knowing it. 

Did you send these steers to Joslin?

Eggbert

They were purebred...as in 15/16 or higher.  They were predominately red...some may have been considered dark red but they certainly were not black.

It has been mentioned on here already, but I would say that there was a shortage at the time of CAB cattle...so they "forgot" the color of their hide.

outspoken said:
last time I checked- purebred shorthorns cannot be black..

I also remember you stating that two of the 32 went CAB- and I'm pretty sure they must be 51% black to hit that market?

Explain?

Mill Iron A

wow really? of course they dont really care what the hide color is. That was no mistake we have had several char red angus ring the bell every year. To the tune of 30-40 per150-200 fed.

chambero

I sat in on a seminar put on by a feedlot whose target was the "Prime" category.  He swore the whole key to it - besides using purebred British breeds- was to never stress a calf from birth till slaughter.  He showed data on the amount of marbling a calf is born with and discussed how traditional weaning/feeding techniques basically burned away that marbling and didnt start putting it back in till the last 90 days.  Do you think home managed feedlot programs have an advantage in achieving higher choice/prime % combined with better yield grdes?

Eggbert

Yes...28 of the 32 were sired by AF KF VG Step Ahead (2008 National Champion at Denver) or a Step Ahead son that we raised.  I tried to attach a pic of Step Ahead, but with no luck.  Here is a link to pic and pedigree at Cattle Visions.  http://www.cattlevisions.com/Shorthorn/AFStepAhead.php

outspoken said:
foil said:
What is the genetic base of this set of shorthorn market cattle?

strong in "AF Step Ahead"?

Eggbert

It could have been a mistake, but this is not the first time that we had shorthorn cattle qualify for CAB.

obie105 said: