I provide the carcass data...you guess the breed

Help Support Steer Planet:

Eggbert

As I just said...this is not the first time that we have sold Shorthorn fat cattle qualify for CAB.  So...did the packing plant make a mistake both times?  Or do they forget the color of the hide when CAB is needed?

outspoken said:
obie105 said:
If there weren't any blacks it could be the mexican stamping on the kill floor stamped wrong or cattle got mixed in his lot especially if it was the laat 2 or the first 2 of the lot. Those things happen all of the time. I worked at a plant for several years both in quality assurance on the kill floor and in accounting where I paid for cattle.
It's just dawned on me...  If you've got mistakes such as red cattle hitting CAB-- then how can you take those carcass results and ethically use them for proof of actual carcass?  No, I'm not going to complain to the packer-- but I also not going to run around promoting that carcass was superior-- without actually knowing it. 

Did you send these steers to Joslin?

obie105

I worked at joslin so I can tell you the ins and outs of that place.

Eggbert

I think you make a good point.  The winter for us was unseasonably warm and I think it played a role in how well these cattle graded.  However, we do have data from years past and the percent Prime and Choice is just as good.

2011 - sold them as calves.
2010 - sold 24 head on the grid.  22 of the 24 (91%) graded choice or prime.  5 Prime.  8 of them were yield grade 2's and the rest were YG 3's.
2009 - sold 17 head on the grid.  All 17 grade choice or prime.  4 Prime.  1 Yield Grade 2 and the rest were YG3's.

chambero said:
I sat in on a seminar put on by a feedlot whose target was the "Prime" category.  He swore the whole key to it - besides using purebred British breeds- was to never stress a calf from birth till slaughter.  He showed data on the amount of marbling a calf is born with and discussed how traditional weaning/feeding techniques basically burned away that marbling and didnt start putting it back in till the last 90 days.  Do you think home managed feedlot programs have an advantage in achieving higher choice/prime % combined with better yield grdes?

nate53

Maybe they take good grading groups of non black cattle and give them a couple CAB's as a incentive to keep the quality and switch to black (like hey you could get a little more if the calves were black).   The packers do make a little extra with CAB so why not try to entice a breeder to change bull colors ( it's a win for the packer and for the producer even though it is based on something that has nothing to do with the meat).  

Eggbert - they did very well considering their age! (clapping)  So from your previous year's data are the  prime calves each year out of the same cow's every time?  Ours usually are same thing with the selects.

AJ, Outspoken, Aussie, Gonewest, etc. maybe you all should send Eggbert a 100 hd apiece so he can feed them with the same ration, and you all will be happy with results (as in having a point).  I just hate to see so many people agreeing with AJ.  ;D

Chambero - I would say the homeraised feedlots do have a considerable advantage if they play their cards right (they do have a few disadvantages as well just not with quality).

The End Product Always Matters it's just not always feasible.

Aussie

nate53 said:
AJ, Outspoken, Aussie, Gonewest, etc. maybe you all should send Eggbert a 100 hd apiece so he can feed them with the same ration, and you all will be happy with results (as in having a point).  I just hate to see so many people agreeing with AJ.  ;D
Nate if Eggbert will do freight happy to send a few pens full on contract feed especially as what beef is bringing there. ;D

kfacres

nate53 said:
Maybe they take good grading groups of non black cattle and give them a couple CAB's as a incentive to keep the quality and switch to black (like hey you could get a little more if the calves were black).   The packers do make a little extra with CAB so why not try to entice a breeder to change bull colors ( it's a win for the packer and for the producer even though it is based on something that has nothing to do with the meat).  

Eggbert - they did very well considering their age! (clapping)   So from your previous year's data are the  prime calves each year out of the same cow's every time?  Ours usually are same thing with the selects.

Chambero - I would say the homeraised feedlots do have a considerable advantage if they play their cards right (they do have a few disadvantages as well just not with quality).

The End Product Always Matters it's just not always feasible.

I'll send my steers to anyone willing to feed them...  Not one argument here...  Volunteers? 

KSUwildcat2009

wiseguy said:
Congrats to Highland Farms!!! That is absolutely great data. Maybe Shorthorn University should have taken the time to stop in and see your operation?  ;D

Seconded!  Congrats guys!  <rock>

nate53

Aussie said:
nate53 said:
Nate if Eggbert will do freight happy to send a few pens full on contract feed especially as what beef is bringing there. ;D
I figured you would say that! ;D

nate53

outspoken said:
I'll send my steers to anyone willing to feed them...  Not one argument here...  Volunteers? 

This is the part I don't understand.  Why don't several breeders go together and feed a group of cattle.  They could go to about any packing plant, and get some carcass data.  Some plants actually pay for a chunk of the freight.  It doesn't take very many cattle, a pot trailer will hold 36 - 40 head of fat's (depending on size of cattle) and most plants will take anything over a group of 20 with paperwork. 

frostback

nate53 said:
outspoken said:

This is the part I don't understand.  Why don't several breeders go together and feed a group of cattle.  They could go to about any packing plant, and get some carcass data.  Some plants actually pay for a chunk of the freight.  It doesn't take very many cattle, a pot trailer will hold 36 - 40 head of fat's (depending on size of cattle) and most plants will take anything over a group of 20 with paperwork. 

....its easier to bash someones else accomplishments then make your own.

kfacres

nate53 said:
outspoken said:

I don't have the space, and can't find anyone to feed them out reasonably priced...  So-- sale barn they go as feeders... and docked I get b/c they're all roan...  Hopefully, I can get moved and a new place-- which would allow me to have the space-- and be able to feed them out.

kfacres

frostback said:
nate53 said:
outspoken said:

Actually, you're wrong-- the easist route is to post pointless pictures- and be a crab every day... 

knabe

outspoken said:
]

Actually, you're wrong-- the easist route is to post pointless pictures- and be a crab every day... 
[/quote]

See, right there, you did what you are complaining about.  Ill admit you are more behaved now than before, but sheesh, try harder. 

garybob

outspoken said:
last time I checked- purebred shorthorns cannot be black..

I also remember you stating that two of the 32 went CAB- and I'm pretty sure they must be 51% black to hit that market?

Explain?
Enlighten me, here, please. Is it 51% of an individual animal's own hide must be black, or is it 51% of the cattle in a pen  must be black?

GB

garybob

chambero said:
I sat in on a seminar put on by a feedlot whose target was the "Prime" category.  He swore the whole key to it - besides using purebred British breeds- was to never stress a calf from birth till slaughter.  He showed data on the amount of marbling a calf is born with and discussed how traditional weaning/feeding techniques basically burned away that marbling and didnt start putting it back in till the last 90 days.  Do you think home managed feedlot programs have an advantage in achieving higher choice/prime % combined with better yield grdes?
Yes, Chambero, I'd say you're right-on about that. The second thing I'll say is breeding and selecting for calm-natured cattle helps this tremendously. Shorthorns have no equal in this regard.

GB