I provide the carcass data...you guess the breed

Help Support Steer Planet:

garybob

obie105 said:
If there weren't any blacks it could be the mexican stamping on the kill floor stamped wrong or cattle got mixed in his lot especially if it was the laat 2 or the first 2 of the lot. Those things happen all of the time. I worked at a plant for several years both in quality assurance on the kill floor and in accounting where I paid for cattle.
You've sure as shooting got me riled up, here, but I'll remain tactful.      

"it could be the Mexican stamping on the kill floor stamped wrong".........what if it were a white gal that dropped out of high school, doesn't know anything about livestock, and is doing what her Dept Mgt directs her to do?......What if Juan or Lupita are just doing what their bosses told them to do, as well?
Would it make a difference to You?

GB

knabe

Makes a difference to me.

The plant is committing a crime as is the employee if they are illegal.

We could get rid of commuter lanes, save on cops and enforce real crime. 

Duncraggan

I must agree with GB here, if there is any traceability, which in this day and age there should be, this would amount to fraud!

If there is not a description of the carcase origin, or at least the hide and head under the carcase on the rail, where is the quality control?  This would make the CAB verification a scam!

obie105

They are very strict there with hiring illegals even myself had to go through a screaning process with my social security number and where I was born. I was in quality assurance on the kill floor they are very strict in telling them there how to stamp and for the most part it was the same lady doing it every night. They are very strict on making sure things are done correctly because so much is exported to Japan. There are mistakes tho like if they do roll out of the knock boxes out of order or if a carcass falls off the line. You can get some out of order when accounting gets the kills sheets. Also a blue roan with poor lighting could possibly look black. There are many different departments and grading and sales have nothing to do with the kill floor.

kfacres

to the best of my knowledge-- it's that particular animal that must be 51% black hided..

I've been to Joslin-- to every part of the plant accept the knock box.  They don't actually have that many Mexicans working for them-- more South Africans. 

The most interesting thing to me-- was the amount of knives that get broken-- and sent down the way with the meat and or byproducts.  As per the feedlot down the road which feeds the rumen content back to fat steers.  That was pretty cool really...

I do tend to agree- grading non black cattle CAB is pretty shady to me...

Aussie

outspoken said:
  As per the feedlot down the road which feeds the rumen content back to fat steers.  That was pretty cool really...
:eek: To me that is opening a whole can of worms as far as food safety issues and activists.

knabe

Aussie said:
outspoken said:
  As per the feedlot down the road which feeds the rumen content back to fat steers.  That was pretty cool really...
:eek: To me that is opening a whole can of worms as far as food safety issues and activists.

Any food safety references?

Activists will always have something.  You would think they would actually be on board feeding rumen contents as it potentially reduces waste.  Logic may have a hard time interfering with their minds. 

obie105

We live 2 miles south of that feedlot. They feed and what will not work for feed gets used as fertilizer on fields. There are some broken knives but food safety is top concern. That was another part of my job actually probably the biggest part of my job. There is a very diverse population there the kill side is mexican and africans and the cut side is a very diverse.

Personally I think the cab program is a joke. So many breeds are black not just angus. I have seen holsteins grade cab.
For certified hereford they have to have papers that come with showing they are hereford or hereford influence.
I also think a tour of any plant is a good thing that way you see exactly how things are done.

kfacres

knabe said:
What's a knife tip for?

broken ones that get tossed in with the rumen contents at the packer's... 

The feed trucks (at the feedlot down the road) have great big magnets on them to catch the tips as they are unloading the feed into bunks. 

kfacres

knabe said:
Why don't they make the knives without tips?
  you know, I'm sure they never thought of that...

speaking of which, i've got a couple of them myself--tips broke off-- they honestly, might be some of the best knives in the drawer.

i can see it now; biggest ad campaign of PETA-- "knives without tips that might break off, animal safety, user safety, and cheaper to make"

good point knabe. <beer>

knabe

Well you finally found it.

Good job. Have you used him yet?

There must be a reason he used sooner though.

I was sad to see that bull not stacked since he came around years ago.

He's got everything perfectly plus a little extra he doesn't need. Maybe that's why he used sooner.

Once people figure this out, some good things are going to happen.

kfacres

knabe said:
There must be a reason he used sooner though.
No- The whole Maine thing of actually using them-- is pretty dang new to me- and this summer/ fall will be the first time I actually inject any Maines into my cows.  Had my eyes on them for awhile, and always wanted it in my pedigrees-- but haven't made the plunge until now.  I'm going to try the red deal first-- and then once my feet are set better venture into the blacks.  Takes time.

I was sad to see that bull not stacked since he came around years ago.
Few people believe in linebreeding, and even fewer actually do it. plain and simple truth.

He's got everything perfectly plus a little extra he doesn't need. Maybe that's why he used sooner.
The JDS Stout bull is an interesting one.. With all those old fullblood deals that I've always heard good things about, and have always heard 'make my kind'

Once people figure this out, some good things are going to happen.
Doubt it, he's too old school- people are into flavor of the month- not proven and tried/ true.

Doc

The DMCC Pollstar bull is a full brother to the DMCC Enticer bull that Martindell Farms used. He made some outstanding females for them.