Maternal Standouts

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

CAB-While you can't get 30 dollar Anchor semen you can get most of the other Ohlde bulls for that price.

CAB

Jill thanks, I have liked bigger cows my whole life, you know grew up during the European invasion. We did use some Freestyle 2 years ago and Legend last summer and are now as you can see trying to figure out the best Duff bulls to use. I think that we can find 20 to 30 dollar bulls that can sure fit the bill. Thanks to all of you that have piped in. It is greatly appreciated!!!
  I pmed someone on the board that I am getting old enough to think about my mortality and can't afford the time to make my usual stupid mistakes. I would used to just shoot from the hip a little too much. It takes a long time to build a great herd if you can't afford to go out and buy one.

chambero

olsun said:
Chambero, please tell me about the bull Shamrock. You have me curious. Also I'll have to agree with CAB on the cost thing. With timed AI on commercial cows, it just won't work for me, a poor man, to use 50 dollar semen. I appreciate bulls like Ext and Chill Factor, but just can't afford them. By the way guys, thanks for all the good info (clapping)

Shamrock was bred by Kris Black and is out of Junior (a Habanero son) and a Mainbreak cow I believe.  He's a high percentage Maine and Kris sold a bunch of cattle out of him for a while, probably still does.  Jr. Stelzer owns the bull.  I'm pretty sure you can get semen from SEK.  I think he is a good bull at raising versatile cattle - steers, heifers, and bulls.  We bought two bulls over the past few years sired by him and both have done a good job for us. We love the females (we have four crops with Shamrock blood) and they are having no problems calving or milking.  Nothing "terminal" about him.  We've sold quite a few show steers out of these lines and the rest of the steers have done real well in the feedlot. 

He's just an example of the many bulls out there that I'm sure can work in a multi-purpose role.  We AI cows the more popular bulls because they are good at what they do, but there are a lot more bulls out there that deserve consideration - especially if you want a bull that can do more than steers.  I still think a lot of the older Chi and Maine bloodlines should be used more.  It backs us up from the TH/PHA problems and give you calves that are just a little bigger framed (not that much) that work well in the feedlot and for mommas.

brettcduke

I agree with many of the bulls being considered in this thread but with respect what it sounds like CAB is looking for and the price range of semen,
I  recommend checking out the 3/4 maine Irish Whiskey son "Dubai" (GCC ECC Dubai 56S). 

He is kicking things off with a bang as far as producing tremendous dual purpose females.  Ones' that, by pedigree, will raise clubby's, commercial seedstock, and especially highly marketable feeder's calves.  Irish Whiskey offspring is backed by a combination of Ice Pick,Chill Factor and Draft Pick bloodlines.  Dubai is also PHA FREE.  His semen sells for $20/straw.  There are some pretty damn impressive Irish Whiskey daughters and grandaughters including Dubai and Patton daughters that will be selling this coming Saturday the 19th at Griswold Cattle Co. in Stillwater Oklahoma.  I have no ownership interest in this bull although it may sound like I'm getting paid to market him but I am sold on him enough that my family just purchased a good slug of Dubai, Patton, and Irish Whiskey virgin heifers that we have high hopes for in developing them into phenominal cows.  You can find more out about these genetics on Collins Cattle Services website on the GCC Genetics ranch link. 

Good luck with your cowherd!

Chap

A couple thoughts.  Strictly Business would be the furthest thing from maternal in my book.  I have yet to own one that milked better than a housecat and have heard of very few.  nice looking and they will produce some nice calves, stay fat and always look the part, but simply don't raise them for me.  I have had some luck with 9FB3 as an angus option, and DJ Reflector on the maine side.  Angus bulls on my radar for proven productivity would include Raptor, Bando 1961, A&B Yukon, Traveler 234D.  Maines would include Chill Factor, MAine Break, Bouncer and Shiver for a young option.  Chi influenced Dr Who, RDD VRD 105N, Ard Ridge Tonka and Impulse.  Simmi - Dream On, Built Right, SOS, Maximus, Aftershock.  We tried some Jigsaw, Duff New Attraction, Pitch Black (PHAF full sid to THe Godfather) and DeBull this past spring for maternal options .  Some of those don't fit the proven requirements, so i will tell you in 4 years if that was a good choice.
Chap

DL

Taz has 2 of the Maine Anjou maternal greats up close in his pedigree - Magic and Cunia - he is a good bull - call Kris Black about him - he will downsize

Reflector is a Smithbilt son - Smithbilt being one of the true maternal bulls in the breed (sire of Magic among others) - he was a big bull and many of his sons were big - Reflector was a good female producer - but not great, he also threw socks if that is an issue. Calves are generally larger framed

Pistol Pete made great females and the semen is still available and reasonable - they are bigger and he does add socks - he will not downsize

A bull rarely mentioned but still available and maternal is Yuralta Black Russian - some say if you find one you like but her, others think using him for females is a good deal

Although thought to be maternal DraftPick was often inconsistent when used on high percentage Maines and there is the PHA issue as well as semen cost - I was never all that hot on DP, although the DP Angus females were much in demand

I agree with Chap re Strictly Business

Artic Power is a maternal Maine bull - he happens to be red - although his offspring are moderate, big bones, and square - calves are big - very big

There are a bunch of RA maternal bulls that are reasonably priced - but I think you wanted black so I'll stop  ;)

knabe

hey CAB, if you go to griswolds or get a catalog, check out a bull called occ Kiddo.  they've been talking about him a little on advtg.

OCC Kiddo 832K, ohlde has him listed for $15.

you can see his breeding on the griswold sale catalog.  there are no pics that i found of him or his offspring.

hah.  here's a pic

http://agteamdirect.com/htm/sire_pages/014AN00341PF.pdf

here's griswolds catalog.

http://www.collinscattleservices.com/Grass_To_Grid/2009/Final_PDF_Grass_to_Grid_low.pdf

look at lot 119 and the IMF.

DL

knabe - did you ever get a picture of Hillcrest Conquerer? I just found one

DTW

Was just looking at the picture of Kiddo.  Have you looked at his performance.  Maybe it is just me but from weaning to yearling he gained a whopping 314 lbs in 160 days.  Guess you could show them as two year olds but wont work for me.  Still need to have functional feedlot calves that do not make show cattle. 

As for other sires listed.  I like sos and have not seen any in production but have seen some out of his father Dj Salute and they work.
I have not used 9fb3 but have used two of his sons Raptor and ransom.  Have raptors in production and those are cows that will work in the commercial and raise show cattle also. 

It would be hard to beat some simi angus or maine angus females that give you alot of options on how to breed them.

cowboybecoachin

I like looking at Duff's and OCC cattle, but here in Texas, our bull customrs like them a little bigger.
The Angus bull we used the most this year is SAV Mandan. VERY femenine, long-necked funtional females. I bred my larger cows Angus cows to mostly Raven and EXAR Spartan. The shorter, clubier cows to Lazer (Angus show bull of the year in '08).
For clubby females, we bred our heifers to Ali ad our older cows to mostly Hardcore. Commercial females that now can have a Maintainer heifer.
Thoughts on Ali and Hardcore?

olsun

The previous post asked about Ali and Hard Core. Our first Hard Cores arrived this spring, so I don't have a comment on them as cows as yet. We used Ali 3 years ago. I can't honestly say that I was impressed with the Ali's as calves, other than that they calved easily, and were very vigorous at birth. The best part came this past fall when we weaned the first calves from the Ali heifers.All of these Ali daughters made very good mothers. They produced better than they looked like they should have.    Most were bred to the angus bull Juneau, and raised good calves. Not necessarily show calves, but better than their Mothers.I must say I have learned a lot from this thread, and hope to learn more. Keep the suggestions comming. Earl

Bone2011

Cattledog said:
I think there are plenty of bulls out there that are maternally oriented that can be affordable.  I would look at the Schaff herd.  The cows that his herd bulls are out of are what I think are phenomenal cows.  You have SAV Net Worth, probably the most powerfull bull in the Angus breed right now and I'm willing to bet you could put two clubby bulls inside of him.  SAV Bismarck who is sure fire calving ease with a ton of growth(BTW, two of his daughters were Grand and Reserve Grand at the National Junior angus Show).  The supposed magical cross is Net Worth X Bismarck.  I heard that second hand from someone who had this discussion with Kelly Schaff.  Figures he'd tell you to breed to one of his bulls! ;)

After you get some momma cows you could make some half blood simmis or Maines.  One breed offshoot that has really caught my eye are the Lim-Flex(Just think they are cool).  

Second that!

orwell

I have a sugar ray cow. She is a beautiful cow, small made and has a real nice udder on her. She has a great temperment and consistantly makes the calves you want. I think sugar ray is cheap to.

hart

think its 18 dollars now.

how old is the sugar cow?  good for a commercial operation?  i really thought she would have been a bit on the big side...

olsun

You guys have provided me with some great information, but the topic has slowed down a little bit. If I named a few bulls that We have used or are considering using, would you please grade them for me? Also , please add bulls to the list if you think of more good ones. My list would include Maine Break, Aftershock, SOS, Taz, Playmate, Open Bar, Hairy Bear, Lifeline, Ali,  JPJ, CTR Success, and the only th bull that we have used, Sunseeker. Please rate the maternal value of the above, and any others. Thanks, Earl

dana hutchison

northern improvement  occ general  has anchors same dam  have general females from stewarts in kansa  they are great mothers  low birth wt 

orwell

The sugar ray just had her third calf this year. She had a golden child bull calf that we have high hopes for.

WFCC

olsun said:
You guys have provided me with some great information, but the topic has slowed down a little bit. If I named a few bulls that We have used or are considering using, would you please grade them for me? Also , please add bulls to the list if you think of more good ones. My list would include Maine Break, Aftershock, SOS, Taz, Playmate, Open Bar, Hairy Bear, Lifeline, Ali,   JPJ, CTR Success, and the only th bull that we have used, Sunseeker. Please rate the maternal value of the above, and any others. Thanks, Earl

front what i can see that aftershock work really well on pb angus cows to make good females. same with lifeline and ali.  hairy bear could be used on a crossbred cow needing some more maternal back into their bloodlines.  sos can be used on anything and he comes from a really good tharpe angus cow too!  My top three choices i would suggest in this order would be:  Aftershock, ali, sos.  but that all depends on what cows ur trying to breed to.

hart

lifeline seems to work well on average cross cows too.  may not downsize that much but he seems to be a good overall choice from those iv seen in the field.