Maternal Standouts

Help Support Steer Planet:

SEA

No one mentioned Majors Money Man?? 

Anyone with experience with him?

(pop)

jbzdad

might want to mlook at the GVC bulls, low birthweights, big weaning weights phenotype looks right... Maverick, special delivery etc... looked over last years sale catalouge ... looked like some good values there

AAOK

I'm interested in learning more about the 3/4 maine Irish Whiskey son "Dubai" (GCC ECC Dubai 56S).  Nearly a year later, how are his calves, primarily the daughters?  Will he downsize the calves from 15 year old MA cows?

olsun

We have used some Malor's Money Man, and did run into some rear leg structure problems. Not a lot , but some.Since the bull Dubai has been mentioned, I have looked into his brother Oklahoma Storm. The performance seems excellent, and he is clean. I might add also that we calved our first Aftershock daughters this year, and they seem to milk well and have the potential to be good producers. I sure wouldn't rule him out.

CAB

Show Steaks said:
A bull i've been watching the last 2 years is sandeen salute(Sos Full brother i think) http://jekcattle.com/ here are some calves. havent seen any calves grow up to be cows but they sure look the part

Those Sandeen Salute heifers pictured do look the part. Nice cattle!!

Silver

maybe if your looking for something affordable backlash might just be the way to go. Straws are only $20 dollars.

SEA

Silver said:
maybe if your looking for something affordable backlash might just be the way to go. Straws are only $20 dollars.

I heard that there was some sexed female semen available on hlm.  I would consider that for next spring.

What is the availability and the price? ???

SEA

And the debate rages on...

Crossbreds:                                                                                   Angus:                                                                           Shorthorn:
   -Dr. Who                                                                                         -Northern Improvement                                               -Jake's Proud Jazz
   -Serious Business                                                                            -OCC Jetstream
   -Eye Candy-THC

Simmental Cross:                                                                           Maine Anjou Cross:
   -All the "Meyer 734 x WAG Harietta" Sons                                     -Nutt-N-Butt Business
   -Maximus                                                                                         -Cunia 602
   -Trendsetter                                                                                   

Simmental:                                                                                     Maine Anjou:
   -3C Macho                                                                                     -Wisdom
   -NLC Upgade (negative on milk EPD)                                            -Hard Core
   -Grand Master

mark tenenbaum

DMCC Bodybuilder-works as well on Angus as anything Ive seen-AND THEY ARE THICK-hes also the sire of the lowest BW purebred Maine-GVR Bouncer-but showier progeny. JMO-if you want to produce a super easy calving-$3000 steer or hiefer out of your commercial cows-this bull will do it-and has for years. O0

Simmgal

I haven't seen Hook's Shear Force on here yet. While he is an older bull, he has good EPD's, sound, maternal daughters and powerful bulls. He isn't going to give them killer style, but he will give you a sound, good uddered and eye appealing cow base to breed some style into. His milk numbers impress me if you want to be breeding his daughters to get more showy style because some bulls that show good don't have the best milking daughters.

http://cattlevisions.com/Simmental/hook.php

This producer has some Shear Force daughter pictures:
http://cdiamondranch.com/herdsires.htm

While Shear Force's offspring may not be the best in the show ring, they are good maternal animlas that would be a good base to start at. Some of our best looking animals have come from the cows that we selected for maternal ability and bred to showy bulls. This bull is also calving ease and is good to use on heifers. I will be breeding some to him this spring.
As far as the other bulls in question:
-3C Macho- Neighbors and some friends have daughters out of him. He would give them good style. Depends if you are concerned about EPD's or not.
-NLC Upgade- I have an Upgrade daughter that i like, but if you are looking for maternal, I would be careful with his milk numbers. If you are breeding him to cows that have ample milk, then that won't be a problem. His milk epd is inegative.
-Grandmaster- I also have a daughter out of him and she is very productive and has plenty of width. I like that he adds plenty of milk, but the calves wont be the huge ones in the bunch!

Here are some more pictures!
Upgrade Daughter:
28c0mzl.jpg

Grandmaster Daughter:
2807ec3.jpg

Hope this helps! (thumbsup)

jbzdad

he is only 1/2 maine but might consider DMCC bodybuilder... I saw him this fall (actually BB II) and although older now still sound, easy fleshing, big boned

SEA

Who among you have experience with the Simmental bulls...

SAS Sweetmeat  and 

BMR Explorer?

They are two bulls that have been highly recommended to me by a very knowledgeable, fellow Steer Planet member!  (clapping)

Thanks! <cowboy>