More Defects

Help Support Steer Planet:

simtal

Heard that:

Precision cattle can carry Water Head (hydrocephalus) now in addition to Curly calf.

Mytty In Focus cattle can carry fawn calf syndrome

Bando 598 cattle can carry a strain of dwarfism

Cattledog

simtal said:
Heard that:

Precision cattle can carry Water Head (hydrocephalus) now in addition to Curly calf.

Where did you hear this?  I think the only bull you left out was EXT!

shortyjock89

EXT was to mean for any of those defects to bother with. He done scared them all off.

aj

ouch. Seems like all the discussion and cussing about th may have educated alot of people about the way defects work. The Shorthorn breed may actually be cleaner of defects than some other breeds. :)

Cattledog

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
EXT was to mean for any of those defects to bother with. He done scared them all off.

Isn't that the truth!  (lol)  I remember we had 16 calves....half of our calf crop out of him one year.  That was the worst experience I have every had in my life.  There is nothing worse than going into a pen knowing that you were gonna get hurt one way or another!  There eyes would just glaze over and they would let out that horrible sound and then you new you had to move fast! Now that's a trip down memory lane!  Still have a couple cows out of him.  Working their calves every year gets interesting!  I can't wait until they're gone.

bluffcountrycattle

simtal said:
Heard that:

Are you sure you have your facts straight from your source?  While there are rumors floating out there, your sires listed don't necessarily match up correctly!  Might want to ask again, and be darn sure...

simtal

Well, I know for sure about Precision

Not totally sure on In focus or 598, might have mixed them up

But I know those are the bulls involved

jbw

I sure have had more problems with 6807 cows than my EXT cows, I just don't have that crazy problem, some are very good mothers!! You tag their calf the day after it is born. When this is all done we are going to find defects in every breed of cattle. Going to have to start raising homing and rolling pigeons!!

yousesteers

Olson Family Shorthorns said:

We had an EXT on a full throttle cow that heifer was nice kept her for a cow she was always hard to catch and you did not want to be in a confined area with her

bluffcountrycattle

simtal said:
Well, I know for sure about Precision

Not totally sure on In focus or 598, might have mixed them up

But I know those are the bulls involved

Thanks...i will agree with you on Precision 1680.  I think until we get more proof or a test, we need to be careful on suspected rumors.  I'm as anxious as anybody to get to the bottom of it, and find out who has what...and I have no financial interest in any suspect bulls in question.  Out of respect for those that do have large sums of money invested, and unknowingly are involved in the search for answers, we just have to be careful of pointing fingers too early in the game.  I think I remember a few years back reading the same things of other breeds and their dilemmas!

Joe Boy

knabe said:
humans have more defects than cattle.

it's time to breed out dissent.
(clapping) (clapping) (clapping)  LOVED YOUR COMMENT....

aj

Or at least don't let the information till everybody can sneak in one more production sale or a years semen sales. ;)

Show Heifer

There is loads of info out there on boards.
Could this have been the defect I eluded and hinted to several months ago.....hmmmmm........ I heard the shoe drop before it hit the floor. (Maybe it is the "in the forest" thing)

Steer Boy 101

everybreed has its defects. there has been a list on the back of certs for years of the ANgus, Red angus, and Herefords. we have all breeds.. Heck your polled herefords are a defect. we own em and so do thousands others. red angus are a defect of angus. we breed em so do thoudand others. yeah the dead calf type are a lil different story, but dawafism, what do you think lowlines are? to me it looks like a defect. I sure wouldnt be rushing to sell my wonderful carcauss 1680 cows. or anyhitng. just dont stack the pedegrees and becarefull.

shortyjock89

Steer Boy 101 said:
everybreed has its defects. there has been a list on the back of certs for years of the ANgus, Red angus, and Herefords. we have all breeds.. Heck your polled herefords are a defect. we own em and so do thousands others. red angus are a defect of angus. we breed em so do thoudand others. yeah the dead calf type are a lil different story, but dawafism, what do you think lowlines are? to me it looks like a defect. I sure wouldnt be rushing to sell my wonderful carcauss 1680 cows. or anyhitng. just dont stack the pedegrees and becarefull.

Lets clear some things up here, chief.  Lowlines are NOT dwarfs. Their heads are proportionate to their bodies and they exhibit no symptoms of dwarfism. They were just bred to be a smaller strain of the Angus breed of cattle.  Besides, I know of Fullblood Lowline bulls getting up to 1400 lbs..not exactly a dwarf.  ANYHOW....mutations, such as the Polled or Red gene are NOT defects. The word "defect" alludes to a problem, whereas "mutation" lends itself to an array of situations, good (Polled and perhaps Red), and bad (these are your defects). 

I agree that ALL breeds have genetic issues as far as defects go...and as I recall a couple years ago when TH and PHA showed up, LOTS of people were calling for the death of the Shorthorn breed. Didn't happen.  Won't happen to Angus either, but it looks like the shoe is on the other foot for once, a problem with the All-Powerful Angus.  Who'da thunk it?

Torch

......And Lutton is PH/TH positive! There are always rumors some true and some not so true. (No proof as to the Lutton thing but have heard it.)

Yes there is probably one or two more genetic defects coming to the forefront on the Angus breed. Yes a lot of cattle will be affect. But there are a lot of Angus cattle out there. Look at the % of the heard and it might be lower than the TH/PH in other breeds.

How will the breed handle it? That is the million dollar question.

It looks as though we are entering an era in the cattle business where genetic defects are discovered out side of the association structure. Hopefully, the solutions to deal with them will too.
JMHO

Steer Boy: Is there a difference between a genetic trait and a defect?