More Defects

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

cello scrotum is no longer a defect, er, condition.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7853564.stm

A BMJ spokesman said the inclusion and subsequent debunking of "cello scrotum" had "added to the gaiety of life".

i think the same thing about the global warming hoax.

i guess the jury is still out on female cello players.  must devote more dollars to that.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
As far as defects what Angus bulls are throwing scurs or horns, to me those bulls are a sign that there not much Angus, an along with the genetic defects proven in some bloodlines,  I think I can improve the Angus characteristics in my herd .

klintdog

So, is this just rumor, or hard facts? I can't seem to find any info on In Focus or any other defents other then CCS.

knabe

Cattledog said:
knabe said:
Olson Family Shorthorns said:
knabe said:
i thought defects were features. 

Wicked perspective, man..... O0

ollllld inside joke for programmers.

As I am a programmer.....we still use that joke!

here's a feature.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090130/fannie_mae_virus.html?.v=5

Rosenstein says that on that day, Makwana programmed a computer with a malicious code (feature) that was set to spread throughout the Fannie Mae network and destroy all data this Saturday.

klintdog

Surprised he didn't write a function to have it trim the excess interest and deposit it into a bank account. It's not stealing because it's only a small part of a penny, but over multiple transactions becomes a larger sum :)

shortyjock89

klintdog said:
Surprised he didn't write a function to have it trim the excess interest and deposit it into a bank account. It's not stealing because it's only a small part of a penny, but over multiple transactions becomes a larger sum :)

Office Space style?

klintdog

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
klintdog said:

Office Space style?

You're picking up what I'm laying down.

Show Heifer

I will stand by, and restate my "wisdom" that I stated about 12 years ago in Stockmans that damn near started a riot.

"THERE ARE NO PUREBRED BREEDS LEFT ANYMORE" 

I am sure alcohol made a wee bit of difference but it was an absolute hoot listening to all those "Breeders" justifying their breed and how pure it was. Truly a crowning moment for me.

aj

Predictability is more important that purebredism except to maximize heterosis.197 years ago when I was on a judging team we spent some time in a little bus. One excercise the boss made us do was...we were given a breed to defend and to orally justify the breeds existence. The debate was on in the bus. It got you to realize that most of the time different breeds were needed for different purposes and enviroments. You had to learn a little history on every breed. Crossbreeding systems were analized etc. Debating is fun and a good method in learning.You talk carcass size dispositions,color, anything. I can here it now.Angus are good cattle cause they are black or Simmentals are good cattle cause they are black.

Show Heifer

AJ, the problem with that is that breeds now insist at being everything to everyone. And they are ruining their breeds.
Red Angus used to be known for their mothering and milking ability. Now look at their milk numbers..... a popular bull now has a NEGATIVE milk number..... many "hot" bulls have a single digit.
Limi's were known for their longevity and leaness and milk. Now they are used up at 8, are hard to feed, and lack milk..... chasing those damn carcass numbers.
Angus used to be functional high grading cattle that could adapt. Since chasing the carcass numbers they have structural issues, and are either dinks or can't survive on pasture.

I am sure there are plenty of other examples, and I am sure arguements will follow, but when will people realize that one single thing can not be everything to everyone? What happened to doing 1-2 things darn near perfect instead of doing 4-6 things mediocre?

My reasoning (God help me) : people can not think far enough ahead to use a good crossbreeding program so therefore they let the "purebred" breeder do it for them in the "composite" cattle (where the biggest heterosis has already happened) or worse in "not so pure" purebreds so ya get that pretty piece of paper. 

ROAD WARRIOR

Single trait selection is the easiest thing to do and also the easiest way to ruin a cow herd. Not too many years ago the RA EPD of the month was milk. The numbers soared because people stacked all of the high milking genetics they could find. The result -  heifers that milked so hard that they either would not breed back or they would milk themselves down to a skelaton and eventually starve the calf out because they couldn't maintain themselves and still produce that amount of milk for their calf. Blown udders was also a problem that occured due to single trait selection. For my enviroment a 12 to 14 milk EPD ( assuming it is accurate) is high enough. Too many people apperently don't understand that the cows that are in your pasture are far more important than the popular "bull of the month" that they AI them to. The cattle business is alot like the construction business - it doesn't matter how much you spend on the rest of the building if you don't start with a good foundation. RW

Steer Boy 101

Show Heifer. I feel you are looking at some pretty POOR and cattle that SUCK if your seeing negitive milk numbers on Red Angus. Those cattle are about the best cattle they are. The red angus around us in Wisconsin are AWSOME cattle. Most of the bulls we use have any where form 20-30 milk. thats too much just like in the angus. Theses milk numbers above 25 are just nuts. someitmes its too much for the calf. I reallyl think you need to broadin your Red angus section and find different cattle if your seein negitive milk.

Show Heifer

SB 101 : I have reached acrossed the border to find MY red angus.....so I do not think I need to broaden my horizons! By the way, my RA AVERAGE over a 100 MPPA......yours?

When I mentioned that, I was thinking of 121R, a bull that is in many RA pedigrees and is, if I recall a big ZERO for milk. I can think of several others......  there are not my type of cattle for several other reasons, but others have used them for "other reasons".......  and another bull in my mind has EXPLODED in his BW EPD..... over a +5 I think and a single digit CED number.

My point being, these are highly promoted bulls that are representing YOUR breed.  Not saying I use them, just saying in the last several years several popular sires have had their EPD's make huge swings and those are what "everyone" sees.

By the way, if you are a RA dude..... what do you think of the SOO Line cattle? 

aj

In my enviroment I hate seeing the big milk epd numbers. I think most enviroments can only handle so much milk. A cow will put everything she has to  milk. Then trying to bredd back and grow a little more come next. After saying that most shorthorns milk plenty good that I deal with. Once in a while a cow won't milk good and I dump her if calf looks bad.