Shootings!!! N/C

Help Support Steer Planet:

comercialfarmer

-XBAR- said:
Gargan said:
XBAR, a psycho idiot killing innocent childern isnt a dark matter, the orange haired idiot in that shot up the theatre full of innocent people wasnt a dark matter?

I don't know what you mean by a "dark matter?" But the fact that CMB insinuated these actions are enabled by some supernatural force and that if and only if the masses would just be obedient, then somehow there would be some profound intervention to prevent these heinous actions from happening to these particular individuals is just SICKENING!  These are isolated cases where mentally ill people lash out.  You cannot legislate crazy.  The only thing we can do is increase awareness of these conditions and encourage people to take preventive action.  You can't tell me there weren't any warning signs leading up to these incidents. 

Why are you attacking someone that has sympothy for the victims?  You pack a lot of hate in many posts.  The severe reaction you have to anything Christian vs the words of encouragement, morality, and support the other posters provide, I know who I want to associate with.  You do more harm for your position than good.  But, I understand that I would be misserable too if I thought this was all there was to life.

mark tenenbaum

Even  the idea of controlling guns through permit procedures would not have worked here,because of the apparant permitted weapons used in this unimaggionable action.I dont understand how security would buzz a camoed up creep through the door,without quizzing him some to see how he would reeact.He could NOT have appered normal,and on normal business at an elemantary school. I guess the armed security needs to be at the entrance and at points in all schools.And,there are a lot of well trained deserving vets,who had they been employed as security.would have kneecapped,rendered unable to fire, or killed that creep before he went too far.As stated,hell is too good for vermin like him. I am at a loss all the way around,its beyond anything Ive seen including 911.And wish the media WOULD REFRAIN from showing pictures of those little children: that is very hard to take JMO. O0

DLD

My heart breaks for those lost, and their family and friends.  Losing a loved one, especially a child, in any way is so hard, but murder adds a whole new level of horror to the loss.  I pray for that community, for the families and friends of the victims, and for the children and adults that survived as well. 

Gun control is not the answer.  If someone is going to commit pre-meditaded murder, they're going to find a way to kill.  Could've been a bomb, a vehicle, a club, a knife - any number of things.  Look at the incident in a school in China this week, where 22 students were slashed with a knife.

Teachers with guns is not the answer, either.  I've taught, my wife teaches, many of my friends teach - I know that teachers have way too much going on to be able to possess and control a loaded gun all day long.  Armed guards are the simplest, most direct solution, IMO.  And I think Mark has a great idea in employing veterans to do this. 

But in the long run, what we really need is a cultural change.  Gratuitous violence has become far too acceptable in entertainment - books, movies, television, video games (quite possibly THE worst culprit, IMO).  And the media doesn't help matters any - as much as most of us abhor these killers, some other sick individual looks at them, and all the media exposure they get, and they see them as heroes.  And they want to be just like them.  Maybe some more positive media for people doing GOOD things... Couldn't hurt, could it?

shortyjock89

Good thing there are no violent verses in the Bible.

Ezekial 9:5  And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:  6. Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.  7. And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.

Duncraggan

Coming from a country where violent crime is fairly common, South Africa, I have come to the conclusion that it is either precipitated by poverty or racial hatred on the one hand or mental instability on the other.

Single acts of murder in society are usually poverty related, or, depending on the cruelty of the crime, racially motivated.  Acts of mass murder are usually related to mental instability, which is, I presume the reason behind this crime.

We live in a society, worldwide, where the most violence is depicted on children's TV channels and on video games, with no parental restrictions!

Restricting access to firearms will never reduce crime, the thought that some victim may be carrying a weapon is the biggest deterrent!

I don't know the author, but to quote "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns"!

My thoughts are with all those affected by this tragedy.

Glorifying Pastures

I was going to comment on this earlier, but sadness, anger and hate was consuming me, this kind of stuff get my blood past the boiling point, then to here the media saying we need more gun control since Friday is sad. The first thing is a gun NEVER killed a person before, it's the MORON behind it. A principal at the school I work at said we needed more gun control, I told him those type of people might have been fine when they bought the gun and then they tripped. The coward took his own life, if you want to take your own life then Stay Home and do it, don't bring other bystanders into it. Hell is to good of place for this coward...
Those children will never have the childhood they deserved. May God bless those families who lost their daughter, son, brother, sister, and mom or dad.
My family will continue to pray for those who have lost and for those who commit these crimes... GOD BLESS

shortyjock89

Okay, I know what happened was terrible. One of the most awful things that could happen, really.  But, don't forget that the person who did this horrible thing was either 1. Made this way by "God" or 2. Made this way by someone else.  People don't go off the deep end all on their own. Books, tv, and video games don't make people kill other people. 

Doc

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Okay, I know what happened was terrible. One of the most awful things that could happen, really.  But, don't forget that the person who did this horrible thing was either 1. Made this way by "God" or 2. Made this way by someone else.  People don't go off the deep end all on their own. Books, tv, and video games don't make people kill other people. 

Justin, I agree with you to a degree. I think that for someone to do something this horrendous that they had some serious mental issues either genetic or enviromentally induced. I think that a lot of the video games out there don't show the real consequences. It belittles the value of a human life. I mean I played cowboy and Indians or army when I was growing up. But there is a big difference in the we way we played with cap guns or fake guns and just made sounds compared to the life like graphics of some of these video games. They see someone get shot and see the blood , but don't see the consequences of that action. To me it's kind of like the reports you hear about some kid that watches wrestling on TV and don't realize that it's fake and then they try to copy it with their friends and someone gets seriously hurt.

DLD

I'm not saying that any "normal" person is going to spend a couple of hours playing a video game and wake up the next morning and go on a killing spree.  It takes a lifetime of experiences to form the person that does that (or to do what you do, or what I do).  I agree that most were "made this way by someone else",  but everything that person has ever done and experienced contributes to their actions. 

I'm not trying to be radical here - we (that's my family, including two 13 year olds and a 19 year old) watch lots of "action movies",  we all read and watch TV, and have a house full of video games.  We don't make a big deal out of monitoring what our kids listen to, watch and play - it's never been an issue.  But if you'll look around (and you won't have to look hard) you'll find some stuff out there that's pretty disturbing. Many, if not most of the very popular video games these days involve killing - graphic violence, lots of blood and guts. You're only kidding yourself if you think that sort of thing is good for anybody, particularly those with issues to begin with.

AAOK

For the first time, less than 50% of Americans  state their religion as Protestent.  Only one third of Americans under the age of thirty list any religious affiliation.  These facts clearly show the moral character of our land, and it stinks!  If America continues on this path, we will see more and more senseless acts such as this horrible shooting. God doesn't make people to be murderers. He allows us to make our own choices.

Locking down our schools is not the answer. Neither is controlling guns or ammunition. The solution is allowing Jesus to be our Savior. America will not get better until the multitudes of this great nation are brought to our knees.

firesweepranch

AAOK said:

For the first time, less than 50% of Americans  state their religion as Protestent.  Only one third of Americans under the age of thirty list any religious affiliation.  These facts clearly show the moral character of our land, and it stinks!  If America continues on this path, we will see more and more senseless acts such as this horrible shooting. God doesn't make people to be murderers. He allows us to make our own choices.

Locking down our schools is not the answer. Neither is controlling guns or ammunition. The solution is allowing Jesus to be our Savior. America will not get better until the multitudes of this great nation are brought to our knees.

I was hoping you would chime in on this Dan. As usual, I agree with you.

CAB

How much does the actual desocialization via the Social networking have to do with the escalation of this type of violence? I think that our younger generations are desensitized to the reality of just what all death really is and struggle to have real feelings. So many of our youth are needing to feel that they actually matter and belong to someone who cares for them. I also think that the economics play into the situations, but by all accounts in this particular situation, money was not the issue, but at the same time we are not getting a feeling that the father was plugged in or even being talked about much. It seems as if we have another Mom trying to figure out how to raise children by herself. I know divorce happens. I wish more parents could actually really try their very best to do their best by their sons & daughters when they part. It is extremely hard on kids when parents can't seem to get along after divorce.
  For me it was great to see the community coming together no matter what their own personal religious beliefs were last night & to have God's name mentioned many times in regard to pulling back together and somehow moving forward. God bless all who are struggling with this great loss. I & my family are praying and thinking of all of the families that lost loved ones in this tragedy.

shortyjock89

I still struggle to see how having children indoctrinated will help this kind of thing.  If the USA was more Christian in the past, how does that speak for our Christian forefathers that were proponents of things such as Segregation, hate mongering among people against immigrants such as the Irish and Chinese that thought they would come to this country to find a better life? How does that speak for the unknown number of young men and women cast out of their communities for being homosexual or witches? 

Morals are a must, but to tout all things "Christian" as the right way is narrow minded and naive.  Just be good people, and teach your children to be good people by example. I want to be a good person because that's how my father and mother taught me, not because I'm afraid to go to hell.

Remember that the attacks on 9/11 were carried out by people who were very devout and followed their "God" to the letter.

RyanChandler

I still struggle to see how having children indoctrinated will help this kind of thing.  If the USA was more Christian in the past, how does that speak for our Christian forefathers that were proponents of things such as Segregation, hate mongering among people against immigrants such as the Irish and Chinese that thought they would come to this country to find a better life? How does that speak for the unknown number of young men and women cast out of their communities for being homosexual or witches? 

Morals are a must, but to tout all things "Christian" as the right way is narrow minded and naive.  Just be good people, and teach your children to be good people by example. I want to be a good person because that's how my father and mother taught me, not because I'm afraid to go to hell.

Remember that the attacks on 9/11 were carried out by people who were very devout and followed their "God" to the letter.

Its encouraging to see their are actually some people left within the cattle industry that actually have the ability to THINK for themselves!!  The problem with their indoctrinated way of thinking is that they are unable to associate anything Good without the inclusion of their God.  It ultimately comes down a lack of awareness and ignorance in the purest form.  TRAVEL the world folks and you will see that GOOD actually exist outside the confines of your christian community. Morals exist outside the confines of your Christian community.  Many GOOD things exist outside the confines of your community and UNTIL you get out, and expose yourself to WORLD, you'll never DEVELOP the abilty to put things in a rational perspective.

knabe

now it's more popular to segregate and marginalize anyone who is christian or different.

we have come full circle.  the hippies now have become the people they hated so much.

i'm wondering WHEN japan, china, mexico, muslim and african countries will welcome diversity and immigration.

we keep demonizing america and holding our faults up as more problematic than other places.  

when i go other places, i see a more energetic resistance to change and diversity.

where is the developed ability to see that?

all of humanity is flawed, no reason to continually put ourselves below others by default in the cloak of enlightenment.

shortyjock89

I don't wish to marginalize anyone because of their faith.  I just don't like when people shift the blame from the individual to the state, when the same people are almost exclusively supportive of smaller government.  I think there are lots and lots of good people that are Christians, and Muslims, and Buddhists, and Jews, and hippies.  But I don't believe they are inherently good BECAUSE they are those things.

I do love America, and I think that if we all just took a bit more personal responsibility in all aspects of our lives, we could be better off.

RyanChandler

Olson, you might just be my new best friend.  Excellent post!

I also find it ironic that those that are always screaming, " personal responsibility", are now pointing the finger at 'evil,' as opposed to the wrongdoer.

justintime

I don't know the answer to how we reduce these horrible incidences from happening again or even less often. I do think this is happening because of a wide variety of reasons, and the answer to this question is therefore very complicated. I have heard and read a lot of people's opinions on this. They represent a wide array of answers.  Some say that TV and violent video games are part of the reason we are seeing these terrible crimes... and I expect there is some truth to this. But here is some stats I found from Mr Google.

2011 homicides in the US by guns - 11493 ( this doesn't include suicides)   population of the US is 314,952,500

2011 homicides in Canada by guns  - 170  ( the population of Canada is roughly 10% of the US)

2011 homicides in Japan by guns  - 2   ( population of Japan is 127,960,000  - or roughly 30% of the US.

I would suspect that violent video games are available in all three countries.  I still maintain that they probably are part of the problem as are violence on TV and the internet in general. I expect that issues with mental illness are similar between the 3 countries as well.  When I look at these stats I have to wonder if the access to firearms has to be considered as part of the problem.  Thee right to bear arms is a very endeared constitutional right to almost all Americans, but it may well be a part of the problem as well. If this isn't something to consider,. why then has Canada only got 14 % ,and Japan less than 1%, of homicides as the US based on a percent of every 100,000 citizens?  As I said, I don't know what the total answer is but I do think some thinks have to be considered .

herfluvr

I will state I am for personal ownership of firearms for hunting and personal protection. This is the gun that killed the children and was the main one used. In no way shape or form is this what our forefather's intended to defend your personal rights. We DO need reform in what is available to the public and what can be sold where and to whom

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_473701_-1

The shooter's mother had 5 guns registered to her.  A glock and a sig saug are favored by the military and the police for how fast they can be reloaded.  And a the above rifle as well as 2 more.  WHY was there a need for these types of weapons in a suburban home???

You want to defend yourself then do it but making guns this easy to abtain LEGALLY puts them in hands where they do no belong.  Make it HARD to get one.  Restraints on age, waiting period and WHAT and WHERE they can be sold is  a step in the right direction. 

As for trying to understan the "why?"...any sane person will never understand it.  But what has changed is the amount of violence we are subjected to as a society that we look at as entertainment.  Now don't say you haven't let your young child see it.  Do you remember your small child's reaction to the father's death in Lion King?  Until a child is 5 or 6 they cannot determine fact from fiction. you may tell them it's just make-believe but to them it is happening in real time.  They grow older and can't wait until the next game system war/killing game comes out.  Or the next horror flick where death is entertainment.  NOTHING about killing should be entertaining.  Ever.

Yes I know there will always be an underground market for all things regulated but if penalties are stiff and swift and even detour just a few from going down this dark path it will be worth it. 

As for Him not being there.  He has nothing to do with evil.  Instead he gave strenght to people who fought and dies for those children.  He gave them their wits to hid and comforted those they protected.  As for a turning tide towards having Him in our hearts...911 was the biggest wake up call we as a current nation have faced and yet we have not learned.  What will it take? 

Certainly we need to look to ourselves first for change.  I know we will.  God Bless all those affected by this tragedy.