Shorthorn X Red Angus heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

Judge said:
Jm what do you not get I said I used to have horns, I said there were a few good ones there is no clear path, feedlots do not what the breed period. Your pretty confident in your breed post some mature pics of that bull you have been promoting, along with his dam
You are right. I am confident about my breed. Here is a pick in the pasture this past year as a two year old out with 30 cows. Pic of his granddam on the dam's side. First calf crop included around 25 first calf heifers calving unassisted and only a couple problems due to malpresentations. These were purebred Shorthorn heifers and crossbred Angus heifers. Some AI but he ran with over 20 heifers spring and fall as a yearling.

Attachments

• Renegade late spring 2013 resized.jpg
    Renegade late spring 2013 resized.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DRC 244MU low res.jpg
    DRC 244MU low res.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 129

Judge

That's basically all he has going for him is the calving ease, he looks tight hided, hard to see what his sheath looks like in the long grass, needs to be deeper sided, needs to be deeper in his fore rib, flat quartered etc. basically doesn't so anything for me not sure what all the hype is about. Secondly for you true shorthorn believers yes the truth dose hurt sometime, there is nothing the angus need to get from the shorthorns definitely not this hybrid vigour, back when i had still a few shorthorns,which was not that long ago when the calves were born they were 3 times as long getting up and even longer sucking and if they got into any kind of stress they would just give up. The were always bigger at birth but by weaning time the angus calves were always at least 85 pounds heavier. Now these guys like JTM will tell you the future is shorthorns and angus guys are going to get on the train and use them, but that will never happen. If it's all true about what he is preaching don't you think more people would have figured such as amazing cross(sarcasm) out.

Judge

So with all that said adding angus to shorthorn yes it improves them but adding shorthorn to angus doesn't do a thing for the angus and that's why these heifers are as nice as they are because the have angus in the to add more maternal, more rib shape and dimension and capacity and just that do ability.

Judge

There are some good shorthorns but there are a lot of bad shorthorns I have included some pics  the first 2 are of a steer and a bull I found online might even be off the renegade bull from JTM, the second 2 are of what I would call what the breed should strive for

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 433
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 146

trevorgreycattleco

I bet I could find some horrible pictures of angus if I looked as well. New design 50/50??????? That's slab sided. Or Objective T510??????

I'd love to know what shorthorns this guy used. I've used some shorthorns that sucked. I've used some that are awesome. Ol judge likes to ruffle the feathers

librarian

Well anyway, the DRC female in the picture seems very similar in type to Red Bulls heifers. Looks like DRC breeds true.
If we want to get across the idea that a Shorthorn Cross F1 female will make a great replacement in ,for example, commercial Angus breeds of Black or Red, the results will have to be consistent and impressive to the Angus owner.  With the right kind of Shorthorn genetics, and they are out there, this can be accomplished. 
If the national herd is at a low in numbers and there is a good market for replacement females, it seems like this would be a good time to get Shorthorns back into mainstream commercial herds.  Angus genetics are having a hard time with an accumulation of recessive genes and many commercial breeders are looking beyond Angus. I see it around here--5 years ago people thought I was dumb for getting a Shorthorn bull, now they want to know what would be a good Shorthorn to buy semen on.  They have used Capiche and like the calves, but they are too moderate for the packers. It's been nice for me to buy the Capiche heifers that flunked the commercial weaning weight minimum because they work well for forage only, but the folks who are being pressed by the packers for 800 lb hanging weights need something different.  The only thing stopping them around here is that they can't get the kind of Shorthorn bull they need from ABS or Genex. I just looked at the 2014 ABS catalog and I didn't see any commercial Shorthorns bulls in there.  I did notice that the Red Angus and Hereford sections were bigger than they used to be.
If the F1 Shorthorn cows get to working in commercial herds, they will prove themselves. We know this. Sooner or later, some operations will choose to breed them back to Shorthorn instead of Angus and the feedlots will again start pay extra for frosted calves.  My own hope is that we will stop hiding Shorthorn under black and start using roan bulls that make the Shorthorn x calves easy to spot, instead of camouflaged as black. Even so, in years to come, Red could be the new Black if Shorthorn would work on commercial viability.

mark tenenbaum

The reason those Red F1s are stouter and ruggeder than a Red Angus must be the Red Angus bull THEY ARE REALLY out of-Forget the Red bull in the picture(thier purported sire sire)-whos as stout and certainly heavier in alot of areas than any Angus bulls Ive seen lately-PS I pass Whitestone in Middleburg Va about 3 times a week-and the doner pen is right along the road.so are the yearling bulls-I went down to Whermans a few times out of curiosity-and frankly had trouble keeping a straight face-and those bulls were fat as hell on self feeders:had no grow to speak of-and were structurally funny looking-like Joe Tex said-SKINNY LEGS AND ALL O0

coyote

Here are a couple of our 2 yr old bulls.

Attachments

• 5z, 97z, 12 z 052 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    5z, 97z, 12 z 052 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    534 KB · Views: 1,278
  • 130z, 39z 049 - Copy.JPG
    130z, 39z 049 - Copy.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 520

Okotoks

librarian said:
Well anyway, the DRC female in the picture seems very similar in type to Red Bulls heifers. Looks like DRC breeds true.
If we want to get across the idea that a Shorthorn Cross F1 female will make a great replacement in ,for example, commercial Angus breeds of Black or Red, the results will have to be consistent and impressive to the Angus owner.  With the right kind of Shorthorn genetics, and they are out there, this can be accomplished. 
If the national herd is at a low in numbers and there is a good market for replacement females, it seems like this would be a good time to get Shorthorns back into mainstream commercial herds.  Angus genetics are having a hard time with an accumulation of recessive genes and many commercial breeders are looking beyond Angus. I see it around here--5 years ago people thought I was dumb for getting a Shorthorn bull, now they want to know what would be a good Shorthorn to buy semen on.  They have used Capiche and like the calves, but they are too moderate for the packers. It's been nice for me to buy the Capiche heifers that flunked the commercial weaning weight minimum because they work well for forage only, but the folks who are being pressed by the packers for 800 lb hanging weights need something different.  The only thing stopping them around here is that they can't get the kind of Shorthorn bull they need from ABS or Genex. I just looked at the 2014 ABS catalog and I didn't see any commercial Shorthorns bulls in there.  I did notice that the Red Angus and Hereford sections were bigger than they used to be.
If the F1 Shorthorn cows get to working in commercial herds, they will prove themselves. We know this. Sooner or later, some operations will choose to breed them back to Shorthorn instead of Angus and the feedlots will again start pay extra for frosted calves.  My own hope is that we will stop hiding Shorthorn under black and start using roan bulls that make the Shorthorn x calves easy to spot, instead of camouflaged as black. Even so, in years to come, Red could be the new Black if Shorthorn would work on commercial viability.
Sorry I couldn't resist reposting this ad after your comments. Sometimes you just have to embrace what sets you apart and promote it as a positive which in this case it should be. It's surprising to me how many people forget that as recently as the 80's black hides brought a discount. Angus were not successful because they advertised the Angus trademark colour as not showing up in a cross! They totally used it to their advantage, a fantastic marketing program.

Attachments

• Real color of Marbling Ad.jpg
    Real color of Marbling Ad.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 385

RedBulls

Nice bulls Scot!

Dan- I think the Canadian Shorthorn Association has some really effective ads. You should post a few more on here. I had trouble enlarging this enough to make it readable though.