Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Okotoks

sue said:
RS 329 X Captain   April Heifer   - weaned Oct 1st.

This is my Niece MacKenna, she was playing vet today .
She looks like a little tank! Very nice heifer. Do you have a side profile?

sue

RS 329 X captain profile.

Attachments

• Profile329dollyshrunk.JPG
    Profile329dollyshrunk.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 141

sue

I would like a yard full too.
As I just said in a pm-  She is not on a show diet- we have on grass and 3lbs cracked corn.  The

"future vet" has her flat broke and I know big brother will have her out to some jack pots this winter. We  already know she is waaaaay to moderate to shake the Shorthorn show circuit.
  Thank you.

Okotoks

sue said:
I would like a yard full too.
As I just said in a pm-  She is not on a show diet- we have on grass and 3lbs cracked corn.  The

"future vet" has her flat broke and I know big brother will have her out to some jack pots this winter. We  already know she is waaaaay to moderate to shake the Shorthorn show circuit.
  Thank you.
She looks just as good from the side. If there are people who want to change the type winning is there no way to select judges that like them more practical? I maintain the main reason to drag cattle out is to dispaly your breeding program. She should do that for  you.

knabe

Okotoks said:
I maintain the main reason to drag cattle out is to dispaly your breeding program. She should do that for  you.

i agree.  just wish there was a way to present cattle besides in the ring kinda like the bull alley at denver.

DRB

Okotoks said:
trevorgreycattleco said:
the truth said:
now that's a bull...  how big is he?  Can't determine from a picture with grass if that's big enough or not?

52 or 53 inches tall. My frame chart only goes to 21 months( he is 3 in febuary) but I would guess he is 4.5 to 5 frame. 
Are you still going to collect him?

Hi Sue & Trevor,

Will you collect  RS329 for export to Canada?  I know it costs more, but I'm sure some of guys up here would like to try him.  He looks perfect sized to me, and that is a fancy heifer Sue!

DRB

jaimiediamond

DRB said:
Okotoks said:
trevorgreycattleco said:
the truth said:
now that's a bull...  how big is he?  Can't determine from a picture with grass if that's big enough or not?

52 or 53 inches tall. My frame chart only goes to 21 months( he is 3 in febuary) but I would guess he is 4.5 to 5 frame. 
Are you still going to collect him?

Hi Sue & Trevor,

Will you collect  RS329 for export to Canada?  I know it costs more, but I'm sure some of guys up here would like to try him.  He looks perfect sized to me, and that is a fancy heifer Sue!

DRB

I know that we would be interested on the Canadian front!

sue

I would suggest you purchase Canadian rights. Great Lakes Sire is set up for export.  GReat photo of 329 included. I have ultrasound - might be on the web page.

The only son of 329 I have is not asterik free but looks like the heifer. I will look for his dam's pic I took in may.

trevorgreycattleco

Canadian rights could be sold for sure as far as I am concerned. A asterixs free bull can be useful up there I suppose. I have no expierence in these deals so sue would be the one to talk with. I am heading to Michigan to drop him off on Thursday so let sue or me know. At this point we are collecting him for insurance more or less. I'm sure we can get more collected if somebody is interested. Neat to read all the good remarks on this fella. <beer>

trevorgreycattleco

knabe said:
Okotoks said:
I maintain the main reason to drag cattle out is to dispaly your breeding program. She should do that for  you.

i agree.  just wish there was a way to present cattle besides in the ring kinda like the bull alley at denver.

I always thought the state/ county fairs should have bull alleys. Everybody likes to look at bulls, even the folks on the 35th floor downtown somewhere.
I took a bull to my county fair 6 years ago. WON the whole thing!                                                          I was the only bull. DOOOOHHHHH! (Homer Simpson sound effect)
We have a local farming festival with a parade and tractors and horses and what not. I want to walk a bull in that damn parade! Nobody walks a bull in a aparade. Great PR folks. Just make sure they aint wacko or we have a "running of the bulls" episode on our hands.

Okotoks

I had put these photos on the Shoshone thread but thought this info belonged here on Shorty Hfr Bulls. Ralph Larson and family at Y Lazy Y Shorthorns have been selecting moderate framed red calving ease cattle at their operation in Montana. They used  and raised the RB Red Eagle Y2K the bull that sired our Diamond Prophecy 21P bull and had several females and bulls out of his dam RB Ruby 126th. Ralph used DRC 101VM "Dover" as well as adding several Dover ranch females to his herd. Ralph is using YY The Earl Of Dover 118U by DRC 101VM as well as a red polled son of Kinnaber Leader 6th, COALPIT CREEK LEADER 6TH ET. YY is a good place to look for red polled calving ease genetics.
The first photo is of YY The Earl Of Dover 118U on pasture as a two year old, his second breeding season. Next are his sire DRC 101VM and dam Diamond Baroness 21J. The next two are heifer calves by the Earl. The one is nursing her two year old dam by Muridale Jolt 44S and the other one is also out of a two year old by Jolt.

Attachments

• YY The Earl Of Dover 118U.jpg
    YY The Earl Of Dover 118U.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 209
  • DRC 101VM.jpg
    DRC 101VM.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 779
  • Diamond Baroness 21J.jpg
    Diamond Baroness 21J.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 761
  • YY Baroness Susan 150X.jpg
    YY Baroness Susan 150X.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 189
  • YY Baroness 157X.jpg
    YY Baroness 157X.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 193

jaimiediamond

Another bull that should be considered a excellent  heifer bull prospect is also at Y Lazy Y Shorthorns. Coalpit Creek Leader 6th was born September 2 2008 with a BW of 64 lbs. He is a frame 5 animal at 54 in. hip height. He weighed 1,740 a couple weeks ago as pictured. Y lazy Y is looking forward to calving season to see what this bull produces. He bred several heifer calves for Dennis Hoffrogge in MN at 9-10 mos. of age, and the calves all came unassisted. This bull brings back  Kinnaber Leader 6th as a genetic bonus.

One of this bulls' sons will see service on a grass fed beef operation next Spring.

He sports a 11.1 for calving ease and a -3.2 for BW.

Impossible Dream is pictured here at 12 years of age. She is now 15 and still producing well for Dennis which brings in calving ease as well as longevity not to mention maturing quickly.

Attachments

• DSC_0354.jpg
    DSC_0354.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0372.jpg
    DSC_0372.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 136
  • imp dream.jpg
    imp dream.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 138

garybob

Shady Lane said:
Great looking cow!

She appears to be an exceptional female.

That's what shorthorn cows should look like.
Yes, but, for some reason, less than 25% of USA Shorthorn Breeders understand the phenotype of a bull that produces cows like her. They keep using slim-necked, small-footed, feminine bulls, in hopes of getting cows like that.

GB

DRB

Shady Lane said:
Great looking cow!

She appears to be an exceptional female.

That's what shorthorn cows should look like.

Dream Weaver daughters look great!  Roy has bred some good ones, wish I had a field full girls like her.  Should also produce good carcass traits as Dream Weaver was excellent on tenderness when they did feedlot trials a while back.