Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

garybob

garybob said:
Shady Lane said:
Great looking cow!

She appears to be an exceptional female.

That's what shorthorn cows should look like.
Yes, but, for some reason, less than 25% of USA Shorthorn Breeders understand the phenotype of a bull that produces cows like her. They keep using slim-necked, small-footed, feminine bulls, in hopes of getting cows like that.

GB
Any of you show-people have a sensible answer? C'mon, tell me...........
;) ;) ;)GB ;) ;) ;) :-*

Okotoks

jaimiediamond said:
Another bull that should be considered a excellent  heifer bull prospect is also at Y Lazy Y Shorthorns. Coalpit Creek Leader 6th was born September 2 2008 with a BW of 64 lbs. He is a frame 5 animal at 54 in. hip height. He weighed 1,740 a couple weeks ago as pictured. Y lazy Y is looking forward to calving season to see what this bull produces. He bred several heifer calves for Dennis Hoffrogge in MN at 9-10 mos. of age, and the calves all came unassisted. This bull brings back  Kinnaber Leader 6th as a genetic bonus.

One of this bulls' sons will see service on a grass fed beef operation next Spring.

He sports a 11.1 for calving ease and a -3.2 for BW.

Impossible Dream is pictured here at 12 years of age. She is now 15 and still producing well for Dennis which brings in calving ease as well as longevity not to mention maturing quickly.
It should be very interesting to see the calves by Coalpitt Creek Leader 6th out of the Dover daughters.

Okotoks

Here is a very interesting bull that offers a lot of good qualities.
CE +2.3,  BW 2.3 WW28  YW47 Milk +8
BW 83lbs.  weaning 903 lbs. Yearling 1213 lbs
Red polled, by Byland Gold Spear ou of a Bodacious dam and grand dam was a Downsview Red Rose by Eionmor Mr. Gus 71Z.
This bull is already being used in Australia.  I think we will use this bull on afew as he complements our Diamond Captain Mark 27C and Northern Legend 3N cows.

Attachments

• Crooked Post Grissom 24T.jpg
    Crooked Post Grissom 24T.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Crooked Post Grissom24t 2.jpg
    Crooked Post Grissom24t 2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 176

trevorgreycattleco

Okotoks said:
Red polled, by Byland Gold Spear ou of a Bodacious dam and grand dam was a Downsview Red Rose by Eionmor Mr. Gus 71Z.
This bull is already being used in Australia.  I think we will use this bull on afew as he complements our Diamond Captain Mark 27C and Northern Legend 3N cows.
Nice lookin bull. Was his ww on grass and mama? 205 days?  Thats right there with Schaff Angus Valley. I remember a bull in the sire directory a few years back Crooked Post Bodacious maybe? I know it was a Crooked Post bull. His semen was pretty high so I never bought any.

GB nobody is answering you..........deafining silence. Thanks knabe for that term. I like it. Tho I may have mispelled it.

Maybe a dumb question but who and where does the prefix Coalpit Creek come from?

Okotoks

trevorgreycattleco said:
Okotoks said:
Nice lookin bull. Was his ww on grass and mama? 205 days?  Thats right there with Schaff Angus Valley. I remember a bull in the sire directory a few years back Crooked Post Bodacious maybe? I know it was a Crooked Post bull. His semen was pretty high so I never bought any.

GB nobody is answering you..........deafining silence. Thanks knabe for that term. I like it. Tho I may have mispelled it.

Maybe a dumb question but who and where does the prefix Coalpit Creek come from?
Both Crooked Post Grissom 24T and Waukaru Patent 8161 are out of dams by CP Boston Bodacious 12H.

Redbulls#2

[/quote]

Trevor, I have long been a fan of Pheasant Creek Leader 4th that JIT has written about on SP. "Coalpit Creek" runs through our pasture. I wanted a somewhat similar name for this bull as his paternal 1/2 brother.

sjcattleco

I  have seen more good bulls on this particular post than I ever imagined possible.... I don't understand why more of these bulls are not promoted in the SC.... My god people its bulls like most of the ones pictured in this post would be just the kind that could do more good for the breed than Trump or Salute or any other of those Show bulls!!!!! 

sue

I going to pass on using CP Grissom on 1st calf heifers. I cannot believe how much Gold Spear is in Canada? I bet more semen up there then down here???

I would love it if someone could post a picture of : SBF New Horizon  or Deertrail Buckshot?????

I saw SBF New Horizon at Woodside farms the 1st time I visited and he was 13 years old. I took a 'snapshot' then and have no record of the photo.

Deertrail Buckshot----- people in the breed today would run out of money bidding against one another for ownership of his  dam  "LGS Sunshine" . I did see Buckshot in person and love his very rooooommmy daughters . Now that I think of it - can someone post a picture of Sunshine? Deertrail's dispersal sale in the late nineties?

sue

sjcattleco said:
I  have seen more good bulls on this particular post than I ever imagined possible.... I don't understand why more of these bulls are not promoted in the SC.... My god people its bulls like most of the ones pictured in this post would be just the kind that could do more good for the breed than Trump or Salute or any other of those Show bulls!!!!! 

Most folks that breed the bulls like the ones in this post  lack the confidence
to adveritise in the SC ? I hope this comment  pissed enough of you off--- so now you WILL hire a professional, take a pic and buy a ad in the country??? The door is WIDE OPEN . You're right about some of the genetics not appealling to the readers but they still get the country and are looking for the bulls to meet the critieria.  Trust me your phone will ring .

trevorgreycattleco

Good post sue. When I first started with shorties, the country was where I got all my info and how I made some of my ill fated investments. Now if we would have advertised bulls like the ones on this thread all the time, I beleive shorties would be in a different position than they are now.

Listen to sue folks, she is leading the commercial charge for shorties and I for one applaud her. 
Oh the times they are a changing.

trevorgreycattleco

Redbulls#2 said:

Trevor, I have long been a fan of Pheasant Creek Leader 4th that JIT has written about on SP. "Coalpit Creek" runs through our pasture. I wanted a somewhat similar name for this bull as his paternal 1/2 brother.
[/quote]

Thanks! I like the name Coalpit Creek. Good idea!

DRB

sue said:
I going to pass on using CP Grissom on 1st calf heifers. I cannot believe how much Gold Spear is in Canada? I bet more semen up there then down here???

I would love it if someone could post a picture of : SBF New Horizon  or Deertrail Buckshot?????

I saw SBF New Horizon at Woodside farms the 1st time I visited and he was 13 years old. I took a 'snapshot' then and have no record of the photo.

Deertrail Buckshot----- people in the breed today would run out of money bidding against one another for ownership of his  dam  "LGS Sunshine" . I did see Buckshot in person and love his very rooooommmy daughters . Now that I think of it - can someone post a picture of Sunshine? Deertrail's dispersal sale in the late nineties?

I presume you didn't take a look on Shadybrook's website - I'm sure they have better pics but here is one (not sure how it will turn out):

Attachments

• Deer Trail Buckshot 5073.JPG
    Deer Trail Buckshot 5073.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 258

garybob

turning grass into beef said:
Garybob; here's another one of those slim-necked, small-footed, feminine bulls, that you were talking about  ;) ;)
NO! TGIB, I wasn't calling Saskvalley Ramrod,( or any of YOUR Sire Battery, for that matter) "out" for being the wrong kind. I was making a point about sire-selection in the USA. It wasn't directed at Candians, at all. You guys are on the right track.
I was spitting out sour grapes, but not in your direction.
I admire how Yuns' cattle slick-off, even during short summers. Your bulls are masculine, your cows are feminine. Your steers gain & grade-out very well.
I was slamming "show" pedigreed Shorthorns. Not BEEF ones.

GB

Redbulls#2

TGIB- Your Ramrod bull is one of my favorites in the breed. He looks like a bull should look. Do you have any pictures of daughters you could post?

turning grass into beef

Garybob: I know you weren't spitting sour grapes in our direction.  The winks at the end of my statement were for effect.  I could not find a smiley face that depicts a face with 'tongue in cheek'.
Thanks for the nice comments about us Canadians. 
IMHO sire selection is based on the what people are trying to achieve for and end result.  If all a person wants is a slim-necked small-footed show heifer then that is the type of bull they will use. 
Unfortunately people see these type of cattle at the shows and think that all shorthorns look like that.
Redbulls#2; I don't know if we have any pictures of Ramrod daughters.  The oldest ones would be born in the 'T' year.  I will see what I can do.

aj

Wow Ramrodlooks the part. If we as a breed could raise 3000 bulls like him couldn't we get back some market share as a breed. If we as a breed could raise cattle that looked like that why couldn't we bust demand wide open?

Shorthorns4us

I am very excited about Saskvalley Ramrod!  I think he has great potential down here in the States. 
I know that this is not classifieds, but I just had a flush done with Ramrod on my donor cow by GF Creole.  She has amazing calves and this combo should light it up! 
I'm really excited to be involved in working with the Canadian genetics where I am at-- I know it takes time, but hopefully I can develop a niche in my area for these lines.
In the US- remember to vote today- we are fortunate to have this right.
:)

turning grass into beef

Redbull#2;  I could not find any pictures in the computer or on the camera.  We haven't taken a bunch of pictures of females because we don't sell females.  I will try to get some for you in the next  week or so (maybe today if I am lucky).

RedBulls

I just realized that I created 2 different log-ins!  I'm not sure how to get rid of the " #2 " one, other than just not use it.

TGIB- there's no hurry on the pictures. I just like to be careful about cow's udders, as I'm sure you are. Thanks!