Top 10 Shorthorn Cow Families

Help Support Steer Planet:

itk

Sue, I don't know if you've been there or not but I'll add Lucky Clover Ranch. If you've seen one of Don's cows you have seen them all. The cows work in some harsh conditions. The flight over the Rockies is well worth the trip to see my favorite cow herd. I will also agree on the more Red Cloud you put in a pedigree the offspring get substantially better each generation. Some of our best cows were out of a 3/4 brother to TM Gus's dam(7026 son) and some early Red Cloud granddaughters. I think Gus on Captian daughters could be awfully exciting ;).

J

JTM

itk said:
Sue, I don't know if you've been there or not but I'll add Lucky Clover Ranch. If you've seen one of Don's cows you have seen them all. The cows work in some harsh conditions. The flight over the Rockies is well worth the trip to see my favorite cow herd. I will also agree on the more Red Cloud you put in a pedigree the offspring get substantially better each generation. Some of our best cows were out of a 3/4 brother to TM Gus's dam(7026 son) and some early Red Cloud granddaughters. I think Gus on Captian daughters could be awfully exciting ;).
That got me thinking... I've got about ten TM Gus x angus yearling heifers. If only I had time to get them all AI'd to A&T Captain Obvious, now that would be neat. I might just be in the market for a Captain son next year Sue.  :)

Okotoks

Another family that has done really well for us is the Susan cow family. We purchased the foundation female in 1969 from Bill Pethybridge, Tees, Alberta. This family in his and his brothers herds were named with S names and went back to an imported cow named Queen Of Sunshine. Here are a couple of Susan cows in our herd today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FreHkkRFzME&feature=BFa&list=UL8AJ7UfPk6Pg&index=2

Attachments

• Diamond Nicola Susan 23N.jpg
    Diamond Nicola Susan 23N.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 237
  • Blueprint Purdy Susan 1P.jpg
    Blueprint Purdy Susan 1P.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 256

oakview

This morning I stumbled across a copy of a "Private Catalogue of Wapsie Herd of All Bates Bred Milking Shorthorns" from I believe 1919.  The catalog itself is in magnificent confition.  The Wapsie Herd was owned by O. M. Healy of Muscatine, Iowa, and is touted as having some of the only pure Bates cattle in existence.  There is a page and a half in the front of the catalog describing the Bates herd and their merits both as beef and milk producers.  The owners of the farm state how they are committed to producing cattle that are both beef producers and maternally productive.  The herd bull, King Roguish Eyes, is described as "very short legged and blocky built".  Very interesting reading and photos.  The pedigrees shown are in different format than I am used to, but go back many generations.  Some of the early animals listed in the pedigrees are Alfred (23) and Butterfly (104).  In addition to T. Bates, other breeders listed include Chas. Colling, Lord Barrington, etc.  The Roguish Eyes tribe of the Healy herd descended from a cow named Roguish Eyes, born in 1864 and imported to Kentucky in 1875 by B. B. Groom and Son.  This line came from the Bates Wild Eyes tribe which were the most numerous at his dispersion in 1850.  They are described as being "of exceptionally good beef form and have produced some of the best milkers."  It appears that the three major Bates female lines in this catalog are the Wild Eyes, Barringtons, and Waterloos.  I find it interesting that many of today's sale catalogs focus on some the main families of the era, not too much different than a hundred or so years ago. 

scotland

further generation of Okotoks 'susan' cows.... 1920 Reg Pethrybridge bought Nonpariel Snowflake  a white feb28,1919 model bred by James Burns of Hanna Ab,calved the property of J.E.Glessleman of Tees and bought as a yearling heifer. Sired by Nonpariel Hope , her dam Sunfllower  tracing to Queen of Sunshine imported to Canada April 1907. This Queen cow was bred by His Majesty the King at Sandringham Norfolk England and imported by Sir George Drummond of Beaconsfield Quebec. Queen was sired by Kings Guard a bull full of the best of Booth blood. NOw the naiming convention of cow families really does take a curve...let me list them by number
1 Sunny Maid by Pride of Fame (collynie bred)
2.Sunny Blink 2 by Stanley
3.Sunny Blink by Merry MOnarch (collynie bred)
4.Sunflower by Lord Reidhaven
5.Sundbeam by Eclipse
6.silver Locks by Baron Killerby notes of this bull as they appear in Robert Bruce's book..roan calved in 1864 ...as an old bull taken to the north of Scotland and used at Broadlands and Newton herds. He is a direct mixture of Bates, Booth an dCruiskchank blood, His dam Rosmond wa by  a Bates bull and her dam also. HHe was a wide-ribbed,strong backed,deep-chested bull , with great quality fo flesh and hair. His head and tail were plain and these two weak points were noticeable in his male produce.The females by him were of more than ordindary merit.
7.Shuttlefeather by Shuttlecock
8.Gaiety by Fugleman
9.Grizzle by Laudable
10.Red Rose by The Stuart
11.Rebecca by Conqqueror
12.Daisy by NOrfolk
13.Bright Eyes by Atlas
14.Ceres by Regent
15.Emerald by Meteor
16.Lavinia by Comet who in Collings sale was bought the Duke of Lowther , the same family i set up on an embyro program a few years back
17.lily by Colling son of Favorite
18.by Collings son of Favorite, its right father daughter mating
19.by Chapmans bull of Dinsdale
20. by Grimstons bull this cow without a name is in the first edition of the Coates book, a family that traces to the orgins of the breed..
do have the Pethybridge lineage if anyone is interested...

Okotoks

scotland said:
further generation of Okotoks 'susan' cows.... 1920 Reg Pethrybridge bought Nonpariel Snowflake  a white feb28,1919 model bred by James Burns of Hanna Ab,calved the property of J.E.Glessleman of Tees and bought as a yearling heifer. Sired by Nonpariel Hope , her dam Sunfllower  tracing to Queen of Sunshine imported to Canada April 1907. This Queen cow was bred by His Majesty the King at Sandringham Norfolk England and imported by Sir George Drummond of Beaconsfield Quebec. Queen was sired by Kings Guard a bull full of the best of Booth blood. NOw the naiming convention of cow families really does take a curve...let me list them by number
1 Sunny Maid by Pride of Fame (collynie bred)
2.Sunny Blink 2 by Stanley
3.Sunny Blink by Merry MOnarch (collynie bred)
4.Sunflower by Lord Reidhaven
5.Sundbeam by Eclipse
6.silver Locks by Baron Killerby notes of this bull as they appear in Robert Bruce's book..roan calved in 1864 ...as an old bull taken to the north of Scotland and used at Broadlands and Newton herds. He is a direct mixture of Bates, Booth an dCruiskchank blood, His dam Rosmond wa by  a Bates bull and her dam also. HHe was a wide-ribbed,strong backed,deep-chested bull , with great quality fo flesh and hair. His head and tail were plain and these two weak points were noticeable in his male produce.The females by him were of more than ordindary merit.
7.Shuttlefeather by Shuttlecock
8.Gaiety by Fugleman
9.Grizzle by Laudable
10.Red Rose by The Stuart
11.Rebecca by Conqqueror
12.Daisy by NOrfolk
13.Bright Eyes by Atlas
14.Ceres by Regent
15.Emerald by Meteor
16.Lavinia by Comet who in Collings sale was bought the Duke of Lowther , the same family i set up on an embyro program a few years back
17.lily by Colling son of Favorite
18.by Collings son of Favorite, its right father daughter mating
19.by Chapmans bull of Dinsdale
20. by Grimstons bull this cow without a name is in the first edition of the Coates book, a family that traces to the orgins of the breed..
Scotland this is what I have if you can fill in the blanks between this and what you posted earlier I’d like to have it. I am just showing the sires as no room for all the pedigrees but CLRC has the pedigrees top and bottom back to Haytor Selma

Diamond Yvette Susan 51Y    by Diamond Prophecy 21P
Diamond Nicola Susan 23N    by Diamond Captain Mark 27c
Diamond Elizabeth Susan 5E  by Glenford Reward 7Z
Frimley Pansy Susan 1X        by Deer Trail Private Eye
Frimley Amethyst Susan 7M  by Weston Ablo
Frimley Tammy Susan 11G    by Maimi Baron 20B
Frimley Nonpareil Susan        by Rothney Charles
Susan 86Z                                by Boe Kae Monarch 2nd
Haytor Susan 5U                    by Teesalta Fascinator
Haytor Sandra 8S                    by Rannoch Good Fortune
Haytor Select                          by Killearn Norseman
Haytor Selma

http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/pedigree.cgi?_breedcode=MS&_countrycode=&_regnumberprefix=F&_regnumber=554059&_regnumbersuffix=&_association=21

jaimiediamond

vanridge said:
okotoks can I ask what your cows eat? They look really good!  (thumbsup)

Since Okotoks is off  with his heifers I can answer! They were wintered on good green feed, and hay of varying qualities they also had wheat green feed (2 years old and hailed out), they were on poor pasture for 1 month and now they are on good pasture as of June 13 2011. 

vanridge

jaimiediamond said:
vanridge said:
okotoks can I ask what your cows eat? They look really good!  (thumbsup)

Since Okotoks is off  with his heifers I can answer! They were wintered on good green feed, and hay of varying qualities they also had wheat green feed (2 years old and hailed out), they were on poor pasture for 1 month and now they are on good pasture as of June 13 2011. 

Wow, someday our cows will look like that.....It's pretty cool how Okotoks cows look like the picture of the white cow 5-6 posts above his.

Okotoks

scotland said:
further generation of Okotoks 'susan' cows.... 1920 Reg Pethrybridge bought Nonpariel Snowflake  a white feb28,1919 model bred by James Burns

I suppose I'll have to wait until after meeting this weekend.Priorities! Getting ready for the CSA meeting must be taking up some time..... don't forget the  <beer>

J

JTM

Okotoks, Tell me more about this picture "Blueprint Purdy Susan 1P". When I click on it, it looks like a painting. Is that what it is? What cow is this? She is really nice!

r.n.reed

Here is another guy that seems to agree with what Gone West said in his post on page 3.
''In practice no cow produces enough calves during her lifetime to transmit to them more than an infinitesimal fraction of the samples of inheritance contained in her germ plasm'' Charles Norton Dec.1937

Okotoks

JTM said:
Okotoks, Tell me more about this picture "Blueprint Purdy Susan 1P". When I click on it, it looks like a painting. Is that what it is? What cow is this? She is really nice!
Our friend Eriko took that photo when she was visiting a couple of weeks ago. She also took a photo of her heifer calf by Prophecy that looks like a little clone of her.(I will see if I can find it and put it up)
Purdy was bred by my daughter Jacqueline who traded her dam for a pony. She bought Purdy back as weaned calf, then sold the pony.She then traded a different cow(also a Susan) to get Model Susan back. She has a yearling heifer out of Model sired by Prophecy as well. Purdy won a yearling class at Agribition then later the cow class at Agribition with a heifer calf at foot.
                  LANALTA WHITEOUT 1C X-M464158-  
        EIONMOR IDEAL 69F X-M466444-    
                  EIONMOR MOCHICAN HAZEL 42B X-F660658-  
  EIONMOR IDEAL 61M X-[CAN]M470132-      
                   EIONMOR MR GUS 80C X-M464139-  
        EIONMOR MISS RUBY 92G X-[CAN]F674185-    
                  EIONMOR DUKE RUBY 14Z X-F655960-  
BLUEPRINT PURDY SUSAN 1P        
                DIAMOND CAPTAIN MARK 27C X-M463603-  
       CIRCLE M GHOST RIDER 10G -M466375-    
               J J JENETICS CANDY 1C X-F661250-  
  DIAMOND MODEL SUSAN 20M X-[CAN]F677503-      
              NORVYK MACBRIDE 52B X-M462862-  
      DIAMOND GLAMOUR SUSAN 10G X-F669115-    
             DIAMOND SUSAN 86Z X-F654438-  

Attachments

• Blueprint Purdy Susan 1P.jpg
    Blueprint Purdy Susan 1P.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 299

Okotoks

Bringing this over from another thread. The Highfield Una family, many known as Mary's today. The original was Highfield Una the dam of Highfield Irish Mist. She was also the dam of Highfield Una 3rd and Highfield Una 4th.

Attachments

• Green-Ridge-DP-Mary.jpg
    Green-Ridge-DP-Mary.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 912
  • Little-Cedar-Weston-Mary-7-08.jpg
    Little-Cedar-Weston-Mary-7-08.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 302

OH Breeder

Can't forget this gal in that family......what depth of body she has.....

Attachments

• DFS Little Cedar Mary.jpg
    DFS Little Cedar Mary.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 345

justintime

OH Breeder said:
Can't forget this gal in that family......what depth of body she has.....

I have a set of four embryos out of Mary 905 and hopefully some have been implanted into recips in a cooperator herd I'm working with in Minnesota. If not, there is always next year.!

Okotoks

Okotoks said:
scotland said:
further generation of Okotoks 'susan' cows.... 1920 Reg Pethrybridge bought Nonpariel Snowflake  a white feb28,1919 model bred by James Burns

I suppose I'll have to wait until after meeting this weekend.Priorities! Getting ready for the CSA meeting must be taking up some time..... don't forget the  <beer>
Just want to thank the Saskatchewan Association for all their hospitality last weekend. It was a great meeting and enjoyed visiting.

Dale

Our Empress family goes back to the first purchase of registered cattle by William A. Allison's Sons.  That cow was Robinwood Empress and we had over 200 Empress registered before we changed our numbering system.  Robinwood was Earl Robbins, Gilman & John Stewart's grandfather (see recent thread about 1941 steer that may have been 50% Shorthorn).

Nonpareil used to be Nonpareil Beauty--Beauty part of the name was dropped when we added the Homeplace prefix.  Either this family or the Mina or Charm came from a replacement guarantee when a herd in Illinois let my family have their pick of a group of heifers as the replacement.

Mina used to be Mina Beauty--this could be the family from which the replacement/guarantee animal came.  Or was it the Charm family (used to be Pride's Charm--we unfortunately lost them when TH testing came around)?

Our Clipper came Leveldale--Silver Clipper, imported from Scotland by Les Mathers in the '50's.  The Clippers had tallied over a hundred females registered by 1991.

In the 70's we purchased the Bi Ru herd from Ruth Warters (Bill's widow).  Included were the Fair Lady cows from which we got that cow family started.

Over the decades my family probably tried dozens of cow families, and these are the families that worked for us.  Some families are survivors of type changes, and others are challenged.  If the cow family does not matter, why do the same families consistently produce top calves including replacements?  In different environments, some other families might excel.  We find these work well in SW Indiana's heat & humidity--they have been on mostly fescue since at least the '50's.  These cow families were the ones left standing, before we quit showing after about 80 years.

Other families that used to be here include Augusta, Rosewood, and Miss Ramsden.  It is not always the cow's fault--sometimes they had almost all bull calves.  Another factor was keeping only 3 females from each family when we downsized in 02. 

Okotoks

Maid family at Diamond Shorthorns
The original Maid in our herd was Winalot Mona Lisa. At one time we had cows on shares with our land lady, Olive Aldridge. Olive Aldridge used the OA Diamond prefix. Olive died in 1992 but her cattle still have an influence in our herd and others. Winalot Mona Lisa was a red and white deep bodied cow by Millvale Jubilation 1751. Her dam Winalot Mona Maid was a daughter of Scotsmorr Big Red 34H. Big Red was also the sire of Winalot Captain 64N, the grandsire of Diamond Captain Mark 27C. One of Winalot Mona Lisa’s daughters by Deer Trail Private Eye was a very prolific producer of top animals. Winalot Mona Lisa was flushed and Diamond Nona Maid 61N was is an ET daughter born 20 years after her dam.
Diamond Amanda Maid 12A went to Del Patty and Hugh Moore and Sons and has several descendants in the USA. She also had a son Diamond Fortune go to John Gibb's herd in Scotland. Another grand daughter Diamond Glitter Maid 1G went to Dean Farms and then to Martindale. The original Maids were dual purpose shorthorns but today they are easy fleshing deep bodied cows.
NODAK KING'S TRADITION -[MS]348533-D

HILLTOP LANCER 457 -M450087-D

SCARLET'S STAR -[US]3571452-D

MILLVALE JUBILATION 1751 X-M454154-D

MEADOWVUE REDWING ROBIN -[MS]322823-D

LILYDALE LADY LUCINDA 9 -[US]3660481-D

LILYDALE LADY BETSY 3D -[MS]308781-D

WINALOT MONA LISA

FOUR POINT MAJOR X-M418530-

SCOTSMORR BIG RED 34H X-M447204-

FOUR POINT DOROTHY X-F593353-

WINALOT MONA MAID X-F637850-

LACOMBE DOCK 9148D -M440470-

BARSCONA MAID 27G X-F619847-

IFORD MAID X-F594519-D

Iford Maid is out of BARRINGTON ROSETTE MAID -F560338-D

Attachments

• Diamond Amanda Maid 12A.jpg
    Diamond Amanda Maid 12A.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 314
  • Diamond Exquisitely Maid 34E.jpg
    Diamond Exquisitely Maid 34E.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 313
  • Diamond Nona Maid 61N.jpg
    Diamond Nona Maid 61N.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 322
  • Diamond Romilly Maid 27R.jpg
    Diamond Romilly Maid 27R.jpg