L1 Domino
Pine Drive Big Sky
Enforcer 107H
Justa Banner
Ildeno - probably the first great club calf sire
Scotch Cap
Schearbrook Shoshone

Woody

well this is a tough one for me.  I have only been involved in the AI world for about 15 years so my knowledge of older bulls is limited.  Plus it all depends on what part of the industry you are in. For me it is 734, Dream On, EXT, 6807 and 600U.  There are a lot of bulls from several breed that may had more numbers behind them but those are the most influencial bulls in my herd today.  There is no doubt in my mind that Cunia, King Rob, Dividend and Wyoning wind had their major influence in their respective breeds.  I gotta agree with Truth that the clubby style cattle do make up a relatively small part of the beef industry, but in respects to that part its pretty obviuos that Heat Wave gets the gold on that one.  JMO <beer>

xxcc

Novino

To my knowledge, there are no pictures of him in North America, but what I can attest to is this:  There are 70 direct progeny in the Canadian Maine-Anjou database sired by Novino.  I also understand that 22 females sired by Novino were imported to the US.  He is a foundation bull to many and some I will probably miss, but they include Covino III, Crack, Cosic, Castor, Dada, Etula, Epinal, Inox and ...?

Some may say, "who cares?"  But I say, you wouldn't have bulls like Witch Doctor, Heartbeat, Smithbilt or Metric ...or any of the newer 'have to have' Maine influenced bulls... So, I will vote for Cunia as probably most influential Maine bull (of use), but foundationally, he is far overshadowed by Novino. (pop)

Telos

Sorry XXCC, but I think Novino is the number one problem of the Maine Anjou breed. Even though he had little genetic abnormality issues, he is why Maine's are hard doing with very little internal dimension. Yes, a vast majority of his offspring were imported by a few select cattlemen or cattle judges that thought these tubular/longer appearing cattle would work. Novino offspring was exploited way too much, IMO. Many forget the dam's side of the equation when looking at Smithbuilt and Metrics, little to no Novino influence. Heartbeat is a Cunia son with Novino  being extremely diluted in relationship to the overall pedigree.

If you study current pedigrees of Black Maine Anjou you will see less Novino influence and see more of the Univers, Cunia, Franco influence. Black Gold (double bred Cunia going back to Univers and probably a touch of Chi-Ang) is by far the most influential sire in cattle that are competitive in the showring. These cattle are just soggier in their appearance.

As I've said before, it was some of those great imported fullblood females that got overlooked from a genetic standpoint. They were half the equation and most you will see had very little Novino influence.

I feel there were some bigger rib Maine sires that could have been used much harder. Calving ease was the culprit of many.

The greatest sire will not be the genetics that everyone already has but one with the most outcross potential.

aj

I wondered about the Shorthorn leader 21 bull. If he was available in 25$ straws would he make a comeback now. He sold tons of semen in the late 60's or whatever.

RFL

The Leadeer 21 bull was purchased by Bob Gordon at the Polled Congress sale in March 1963.
The bull was leased to American Breeders Sevice (ABS) and they sold 140,000 ampules of semen
on him over a 10 year period. I am sure there have been bulls in other breeds such as Angus that have had
alot more in semen sales,  but has there ever been any shorthorn sires that have come close to leader 21 in semen
sales? I wonder about Dividend or Clark?

chambero

I've dabbled in Angus quite a bit, but never really learned the various bloodlines in depth.  I'm privileged to have some dealings now with an older cattleman who knows them backwards and forwards.  A lot of you know it, but 6807 is just as highly thought of in commercial circles or more than show stock producers.

It's a shame Draft Pick was a PHA carrier. 

titan

As everyone can see, on the poll, that there are many names of bulls who haven't gotten any votes. Therefor I will give you until Wednesday, April 5 at 8:00 am, for every body to vote for the bull that you believe is the "Greatest Bull Ever". The bulls that haven't gotten a vote will be eliminated from the poll.  So cast your votes, if you haven't already.

Thanks,
                                                                                       Titan

titan

ya i tried to make it so you could vote twice but i couldn't because someone has already voted. sorry that you cant vote again.

titan

Thanks to all you folks out there who have voted so far.

Show Steaks

Simmental- Gotta go with "Dream ON" too many calves to overlook him
Angus- "Lutton" rather surprised to not see him in a way he changed the angus show cattle industry

aandtcattle

I am going to vote for an angus bull that maybe not many people have heard of.  BLEVINS RAINDANCE.  We have been using Raindance since 2006 and will continue to use him until we can't anymore.  He is a GAR Enhancer son (Paramont Ambush x Emulation 5522) out of a fantastic Rainmaker 814Z daughter.  Raindance was bred by Wayne Blevins in Montana, the same cattleman that bred BAR EXT, another one of my favorites.  The Raindance calves are born easily, very vigorous and grow with anything we have ever used.  The steers are always the best or second best sire group for total dollars on the grid and the females make moderate framed easy fleshing, perfect uddered females that are highly fertile and they calve like cows from the time they are 2 years old.  The greatest thing about Raindance is the fact that he is a total outcross to New Design, Traveler, Bando and Precision bloodlines making his sons even easier to sell!  Some may not agree that he is the best bull ever but I think you must agree that he is the most under-rated bull ever to walk outdoors. <beer>

Okotoks

If it's angus it should be Earl Marshal, shorthorn TPS Coronet leader 21st. I can't vote neither were added to the list!

titan

All of the votes will reset and and the bulls that haven't got a vote will be eliminated. Plus we will still be taking bulls names.

Thanks,
                                                                          Titan

trevorgreycattleco

What bull of any breed has had more influence the EXT? 6807 or 878 are in the same vector victor but I dont know of any bull that has been used like ol EXT.

I personally dont really care, they all have their place but EXT started it all for the angus breed . Really soaring to levels never seen before.

Where is CF Trump?  Not one word about him?  Go figure......