White Shorthorn Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

colosteers said:
With the shorthorns, why does it seem the really good, easy fleshing, productive type is tipically a roan or white -- and some of the tighter hided, harder doing cattle are typically the solid reds?

I know there are exceptions, and the solid reds are more excepted in the U.S. sale barns, but does any body else notice this?

I think the opposite...  You must not be looking at the same red colored cattle as I...  Either that, or you can't read through the puff and fluff hair that the colored ones have? 
Davis Shorthorns said:
colosteers said:
With the shorthorns, why does it seem the really good, easy fleshing, productive type is tipically a roan or white -- and some of the tighter hided, harder doing cattle are typically the solid reds?

I know there are exceptions, and the solid reds are more excepted in the U.S. sale barns, but does any body else notice this?

From what I have seen on this when you go into a herd of cattle where people are breeding for these traits most of the time they are also breeding for a solid red animal.  So if you do see a roan, a white or a crazy spotted up one you know they were just SO much better than the rest of them they had no choice but to keep them.  Try to go out into a solid red herd and if you spot the roan one it will be in the top 10% most of the time. 

VERY TRUE

Okotoks

That is very true! If you use a white bull, then follow up with a couple red bulls, you will get dark red or very dark roan colors. White bulls are also the answer for removing spots from cattle, and they seem to help eliminate them from coming back a few generations later, unless you go back to using spotted bulls again

how does thus work?
[/quote]
I'm not sure why it works but often a white bull will leave you the dark even roans like this one. She is by the Circle M Ghost Rider10G at the start of the thread pictured yesterday at 11 years. She has a daughter at Y Lazy Y's in Montana and a grandson at Dover's in Montana. The Northen Legend 3N bull leaves them an even light roan or a very dark almost red roan. In the early days of the breed the yellow or orangish reds were noted for their handling(marbling) but dark reds became way more popular. She's photographed this week after a snow storm, and we are supposed to get more snow this weekend! :mad:

Attachments

• Diamond Anna Y2K.jpg
    Diamond Anna Y2K.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 266