Bulls that looked Good, but never turned em out

Help Support Steer Planet:

kane1598

It is so interesting to go back and look at bulls that everyone liked and talked about who never took off.  I got to say that some bulls I really believed in, never produced a great one or no one used them. I am not saying they haven't produced anything worth while, but they are generally not putting out babies that sell and win.  Here is my list of disappointing bulls, feel free to add yours.

In no particular order...

Below Zero

Told U So

Friday Night Lights

M&M

Romeo

Moody Blues

Live Wire, Alibi, Show Buisness, and Sugar Daddy- four bulls that I really like, but I have never seen any babies, except one Show Buisness on the Dunk Cattle Co. website; I like her. Anyone see any out of these bulls?

Shorthorn_Junkie

Evergreen Seville (Shorthorn Bull from back in the mid/late 80's).

Was a syndicated owned bull that was sold for over $100,000.  I remember an ad that said, "The bull of the future that everyone will be talking about".  He came onto the scene around the same time that HS Rodeo Drive did. 

Seville turned out to be a cow killer.   Plus he was from the days of 10 frame cattle. 

JD3188

The shorthorn bull Reno from Little Cedar which if i remember right sold for 120,000 didn't really throw any memorable calves.  I still remember seeing him in Louisville and all the hype he had built up with the showgirls they had parading around with him and the expensive semen packages being offered.

bcosu

who's got the heat
contagious
texas hold'em lautner (talked to someone who saw him a couple times and they said he was one of the thicker bulls he had seen. still haven't seen a calf out of him)
phildon xs i've only ever seen one and he wasn't bad just nothing amazing.

aj

I believe that abs had 2 simmental bulls tehy sold semen on in late 70's. One was Mr Clean and the other one was Eagle. This was before simmentals,gelbviehs,limis,salers,maine anjou, were black. I thought it was interesting that one was a easy calving bull that really fit the commercial programs of the time and the other one was a big birth weight more explosive type. They were full brothers. I often wonder how many times two similarly breed bull calves....one with a better phenotype is kept and used where the other one is harvested....the one that didn't look so shiney could have been a better breeding bull.Trump was sold to a commercial herd as I understand it...and then bought back latter after his calves were evaluated. Commen sense says not ever bull can have this chance but I think deal happens alot. To find a great breeding bull takes a certain amount of luck sometimes. It always seemed like Bakenhuse was a genius at finding homo polled, great breeding bulls in the backwoods.

KYsteer

I remember a bull from 4-5 years ago name Smoke Rings.  The bull was supposedly at Denver and Columbus, but the stall was always empty when I was there.  I do remember he took a killer picture, but do not believe I saw one single calf out of him since.

DLD

I've seen a few nice calves out of him (had a couple ourselves, in fact), but I always expected bigger things out of Ground Zero.

afhm

Tuffer N Hell
Friday Nite Lites
Full Eclipse
Cracker Jack
We Got Him
Tonic
Mr. Clean(Habager)
Black Stuff
Reno
About Time (imo the most hit or miss bull around now)
Chilled Chivas
Smoke Signal
White Warrior
Johnny Walker Red
Teddy Bear
Sugar Daddy
Home Brew
Cherry Bomb

There are so many bulls out there nowadays that it is easy to get overlooked.  Many of the more popular bulls have been bred to so many cows that they have a better chance of siring great ones.  I'm sure if these bulls were used as much as the more popular ones they would have sired some pretty good offspring as well

kane1598

Cracker Jack is definitely one of those bulls! Whatever happened to him......

simtal

any simmy breeders remember the bull trendsetter that sold for $75,000 about 10-15 years ago?

pretty sure thats still the record price paid for a simmental bull, atleast it was at the time.

DiamondS

Aj, I know of two ET sisters born a day apart that were shown as calves by a custom fitter.  One heifer cleaned house every where she went.  She was undefeated in class, etc. etc. etc.  Her sister never stood above 6th in class.  When it came time to calve, the show winner starved her calf.  Her sister raised a heck of heifer that is now a donor cow and the mother of one heck of a bull. She won everywhere she went as cow/calf and has since raised several good calves and became a donor as well.  The class winner went to the salebarn as she was given 3 chances and never weaned over a 350lb calf and she herself weighed 2050.  I don't have a picture of the old donor cow, but I do have a pic of her daughter and her daughter's son as a calf.  Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Pictures: Now 10 yr old donor as a two year old.  2nd picture:  Her second calf- still a herd sire and the sire of some of the calves in my pictures from a couple months ago.

For the Hereford breeders out there, what about S&S Basic 1G

Attachments

• MS Hibiscus H24 resized.jpg
    MS Hibiscus H24 resized.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,090
  • Lucifer calf resize.jpg
    Lucifer calf resize.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,090

Bawndoh

DiamondS said:
Aj, I know of two ET sisters born a day apart that were shown as calves by a custom fitter.  One heifer cleaned house every where she went.  She was undefeated in class, etc. etc. etc.  Her sister never stood above 6th in class.  When it came time to calve, the show winner starved her calf.  Her sister raised a heck of heifer that is now a donor cow and the mother of one heck of a bull. She won everywhere she went as cow/calf and has since raised several good calves and became a donor as well.  The class winner went to the salebarn as she was given 3 chances and never weaned over a 350lb calf and she herself weighed 2050.  I don't have a picture of the old donor cow, but I do have a pic of her daughter and her daughter's son as a calf.  Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Pictures: Now 10 yr old donor as a two year old.  2nd picture:  Her second calf- still a herd sire and the sire of some of the calves in my pictures from a couple months ago.

For the Hereford breeders out there, what about S&S Basic 1G

Just proves the possible disasters and inconsistency of overly predicted genetics.  Sounds like a complicated sentence, but there have been a lot of cattle that were expected to be superb, and never were.  Proves how hit and miss cattle and genetics can work out "in the end".  I have heard some of the best cattlemen say that they would NEVER buy cattle from a show string because they dont often amount to much.  Seems like a huge steriotype, but I think that it is at least 50% true.  Some "just dont" work out, and some are pushed and stressed so much that it is impossible for them to lead normal productive lives.

GONEWEST

What about some of the clones of the great steers like Romeo and Xerox and there are others?

aj

Great point DIAMONDS.I've got 4 homegrown bulls I'm pondering over which ones to try. I guess the best way is to use proven no miss A.I. bulls.Aot of times a program will try a yearling bull and hit the jackpot. There are bulls like gizmo that was found like a diamond in the rough.I don't know if any of his calves ever won a big one but people kill for his daughters and the calves they produce.

inthebarnagain

simtal said:
add dream catcher too that list

I second him.  We had 3, a heifer and 2 bulls.  We castrated the steers and they just sold at the yards this morning, absolutely no thickness, kind of rangy looking.  The jury is still out on the heifer.  Maybe he is a late bloomer with his calves.  The thing that kills me is that in one of the A.I. catalogs in his description they were going on about his natural thickness and how much he adds to his calves.  Makes me doubt EVERYTHING I read in an A.I. catalog. 

afhm

Forgot to mention:
Checks in the Mail ( if their structure was better we could be saying Heat Wave who?)
Pokemon (the shorthorn)