Bulls that looked Good, but never turned em out

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

I have a Mossy x Stony Chi that delivers a small calf everytime. They grow like weeds and are extremely fancy. Her steer this year finished 52" and 1366#. He stood in the top ten overrall at our county fair. Great hair and sound. I had a pale face out of her this past spring and he was just as nice. I have her bred back to Shockwave. This is pretty limited experience but she is one of our keepers. JMO
OH B

oakbar

I know I'll probably catch a lot of flack on this, but from a standpoint of breeding females I think Heatwave has been a bust.    I will not argue that as a terminal cross he puts out a lot of excellent steers and market type heifers but most of the cattlemen I've talked to who have tried keeping his daughters have been very disappointed.    In fact, some of his daughters have done very well in the breeding heifer classes but, at least with the people I've talked to,  have not made good mothers.    I understand I'll probably hear from 20 people who have that "one exceptional heifer" out of Heatwave and congratulations if they do.    However, I'll bet most of them will be disappointed down the road if they are looking for a good mother cow.    I also think an inordinate number of his  offspring stay undersized and while they may look good in the fall will not be adequate when its the most important---as a yearling and beyond.  In all fairness, this can probably be said about many of the clubby bulls it just seems to me that Heatwave shows the most dramatic extremes in his calves.

DCC_Cattle

cbcfarms said:
who's got the heat
contagious
texas hold'em lautner (talked to someone who saw him a couple times and they said he was one of the thicker bulls he had seen. still haven't seen a calf out of him)
phildon xs i've only ever seen one and he wasn't bad just nothing amazing.

I have yet to see a Texas Hold 'Em (Lautner) either. I saw him at the ohio beef expo a few years back and bought 5 units. I used all of it and never got one cow settled to him. So if everyone had the same luck I did, that could be a good possibility why there is no calves out of him.

chambero

OH Breeder said:
I have a Mossy x Stony Chi that delivers a small calf everytime. They grow like weeds and are extremely fancy. Her steer this year finished 52" and 1366#. He stood in the top ten overrall at our county fair. Great hair and sound. I had a pale face out of her this past spring and he was just as nice. I have her bred back to Shockwave. This is pretty limited experience but she is one of our keepers. JMO
OH B

Mossy Oak-sired heifers have been winning our Chi heifer classes down here more consistently than from any other sire.  Plus, I've seen several nice bred ones each of the past few years at Kris Blacks.  I sure wouldn't call him a dud.  I think the semen scarcity was due to a physical issue with the bull.  I think he's dead now.

simtal

oakbar said:
I know I'll probably catch a lot of flack on this, but from a standpoint of breeding females I think Heatwave has been a bust.    I will not argue that as a terminal cross he puts out a lot of excellent steers and market type heifers but most of the cattlemen I've talked to who have tried keeping his daughters have been very disappointed.    In fact, some of his daughters have done very well in the breeding heifer classes but, at least with the people I've talked to,  have not made good mothers.    I understand I'll probably hear from 20 people who have that "one exceptional heifer" out of Heatwave and congratulations if they do.    However, I'll bet most of them will be disappointed down the road if they are looking for a good mother cow.    I also think an inordinate number of his  offspring stay undersized and while they may look good in the fall will not be adequate when its the most important---as a yearling and beyond.  In all fairness, this can probably be said about many of the clubby bulls it just seems to me that Heatwave shows the most dramatic extremes in his calves.

add heatseeker to that list for females too.

seems like paddy o malley is kinda of bust too.  I seen a ton of crippled, round muscled, no haired ones outta him, but he  probably needs the right cow.

RSC

simtal said:
oakbar said:
I know I'll probably catch a lot of flack on this, but from a standpoint of breeding females I think Heatwave has been a bust.    I will not argue that as a terminal cross he puts out a lot of excellent steers and market type heifers but most of the cattlemen I've talked to who have tried keeping his daughters have been very disappointed.    In fact, some of his daughters have done very well in the breeding heifer classes but, at least with the people I've talked to,  have not made good mothers.    I understand I'll probably hear from 20 people who have that "one exceptional heifer" out of Heatwave and congratulations if they do.     However, I'll bet most of them will be disappointed down the road if they are looking for a good mother cow.    I also think an inordinate number of his  offspring stay undersized and while they may look good in the fall will not be adequate when its the most important---as a yearling and beyond.  In all fairness, this can probably be said about many of the clubby bulls it just seems to me that Heatwave shows the most dramatic extremes in his calves.

add heatseeker to that list for females too.

seems like paddy o malley is kinda of bust too.  I seen a ton of crippled, round muscled, no haired ones outta him, but he  probably needs the right cow.
Paddy does have the lack of hair with a little of the round muscle your talkin about but I have seen some good ones.  All of that is kind of an Ice Pick thing IMO.  The next
generation that can all be corrected in IMO.  We sold a full sister to Ice Chest that could be described the same way, when flushed to HW, raised a high dollar heifer.

The Ice Pick genetics, don't have that freek look with hair but they are stout and feed well.  A close friend had a Paddy steer that won a local county fair.  Another real good one I seen, won a real tough county fair in Nebraska
and from what I was told is headed to KC.  He beat the steer that was Reserve overall at the State Fair a couple weeks ago. 

Does anyone know what the Paddy's are like in production.

RSC

clubcalve

:))) Question here what is so bad about heatwave heifers as mommas as you can tell I have yet to use heat wave because of the$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :'( :'(.I hope use him to next  year on my angus cows and another ?? what is the next best thing to sunseeker and heatwave. :))) :))) sorry for all the questions

kane1598

I understand why Heatwave gets a bad reputation, but you can't disregard that Heatwave sired steers and FEMALES win and sell high.  I believe that if he is used on very maternal breeding, the females have definate value as replacements.  No, they will never be that Meyer 734, but they can work and make good babies.

shortyjock89

clubcalve said:
:))) Question here what is so bad about heatwave heifers as mommas as you can tell I have yet to use heat wave because of the$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :'( :'(.I hope use him to next  year on my angus cows and another ?? what is the next best thing to sunseeker and heatwave. :))) :))) sorry for all the questions

They don't milk, the majority of calves that are out of HW are meant to be steers.  I've seen some really nice HW show heifers get turned out and come back and look like crap, but that happens with a lot of these clubby bulls. I think you would be better off using Dr. Who, Who Made Who, Hairy Bear, or Dirty Harry personally.

Simmgal

It'd be interesting to get this oldie but goodie going again! Especially with all of the droves of new clubby bulls coming out every year! :eek:

fish94

I am legend... sun seeker! Irish whiskey is a funny one to me wasn't as talked about as much until people realised he was a cow maker

sizzler14

I really though on the maternal side that Simple Math, stands alone  and Long Time Coming would make it bigger than what they did. On the terminal side, I really thought Point Taken and Werewolf would hit it bigger. To me the funniest one is Bojo. When structure is on point, I had really good luck with him being a cow changer. To me though, I can have a monopoly half as good as a Bojo and sell the monopoly for 3 times as much

Weezie

Ar Su Lu Tonic comes to mind as a big time bull that I loved from a picture view but his calves never impressed me. Golden Spike is another bull tat I loved but his calves never turned out to be the greatest.

Latest posts