Bulls that looked Good, but never turned em out

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLD

I don't know that I could call Check's a strike out.  Ours were all reasonably good structured, most of the other ones I saw were too - the biggest reason we and most of the people I know quit using him was their really bad attitudes.

doubled

Our best showcow came out of S&S basic 1G- But she has been the worst mother possible, good show cattle, BAD mothers, she prolapses all the time,
as an 8 year od she is making her last trip this week to the glue factory, lost her calf this year, and his calves weigh like 100 pounds.
Super looking bull but makes bad mammas.

DiamondS

I knew several breeders who used him, and one particular breeder was pretty burnt out after he pulled 3 160lb plus calves.  One killed a cow....  They definately had a look, but they never were worth a darn for anything.

doubled

DiamondS said:
I knew several breeders who used him, and one particular breeder was pretty burnt out after he pulled 3 160lb plus calves.  One killed a cow....  They definately had a look, but they never were worth a darn for anything.

How true, after we used him on like two cows we went back to the more pure Hereford, we like the Remitall line really well. Good mothers, good udders,
so far the clubbly herefords are all that great either, I wouldnt mind trying wide load though.  We are getting out of the Hereford business, we only
have like 5 cows left of our Herefords.  I still love them to death.

DiamondS

I absolutely loved Remitall cattle.  I flushed to Online right after he won Denver the first time, because I thought his mother was a heck of a cow.  As well I was always a fan on Embracer.  I sure hated to see them disperse!!!  I also liked Boomer 29F.  Thought his daughters were pretty special.

RSC

How bout Mile High Max.  THought he was a pretty good one in Denver.  Other than Cowboy's good red one,  I haven't heard much.

RSC

Throttle

Sugar Daddy is the one that I have wondered about the last couple of years. I liked him in Denver. He was a neater made, more right sized version of Sunseeker, the same year out there, if I remember things right. I have yet to see one in person and only recall one in a sale book. Thought that he might catch on when Lautner picked him up.

I also thought Cheap Trick would be the next great thing when he was out there. I have seen a cow or two that I like, and own a very good one myself, but other than that, I'd call him a let dowm. Calves weren't stout enough

Funny how the best bulls that the clubby biz has seen in the last 15 years have been just the opposite. WMW, Heatseeker, and Heatwave, were just bulls as calves and took a couple of years of limited use by the right people in the right places to catch on. If I remember right, it only took $5250 or something like that to buy 1/2 interest in Heatseeker as a calf. Wouldn't that have been a sound investment?

OOPS! I didn't see that Red had started another thread from this same angle until after I posted this

afhm

The snapping pasterns is the problem we had with Checks.  If it weren't for that I would be breeding all my phaf cattle to him still.  I never had much atitude problems out of him, in fact some of the gentle cattle we ever had were by him
I'll agree on Cheap Trick remember as a mature bull he sold in I think one of Hook or Ray's sales for around $1900.

C-CROSS

Last year we had 6 or 7 heatwaves that didn't even make our sale,  they were pukes!!!!  Our first calve heifers could have had them 60-70 pounds no grow made us wonder what we got for semen.  This year the look good, go figure.  Pokeman sired a few real good ones for use and we have a cow we are flushing that was out of pokeman, bred to gizmo she had the reserve at Ohi in 04 ,  the flush mates to that steer averaged over 4000 each and all sold.

Chap

How about Business Done Right. What an awesome pic as a yearling.  Don't hear squat from him now.

bcosu

yeah, business done right looked good. although i've always found it ironic that the name of the bull that killed lane frost was business done right. i guess it was the theatrical license idea that let them change it to red rock in the movie.

i don't know if i would consider vise grip an attractive bull. i didn't think he was that good when i saw him.

i saw some more
wells fargo, never heard much about his calves.
pac man, i always liked him because of the harietta in him
cowboy cut and his son general lee. i've seen pictures of cowboy cuts but haven't heard alot of good about the calves
in the future possibly traction, the full brother to friction, is going to be a dud. heard he wasn't much in person and that the picture makes him look a whole lot better than he really is. although he might surprise once he has some calves on the ground.

kane1598

RSC said:
How bout Mile High Max.  THought he was a pretty good one in Denver.  Other than Cowboy's good red one,  I haven't heard much.

RSC

I agree, I liked him alot and I appreciate his pedigree. Cowboy's bull calf is the only one I have ever seen.  If they all look like that, everyone might be missing something. I wish Cowboy would chime in, did you have any others or has anyone seen any?

kane1598

kane1598 said:
Live Wire, Alibi, Show Buisness, and Sugar Daddy- four bulls that I really like, but I have never seen any babies, except one Show Buisness on the Dunk Cattle Co. website; I like her. Anyone see any out of these bulls?

We got in contact with Lance at cattle visions and he said that Show Business is a bull that he really likes, saying that he is fancier, stouter version of his sire.  I love the look and pedigree of this bull! He is a Strictly Business x Hairietta. Here is  a link to a heifer sired by him at Dunk cattle Company http://www.dunkcattleco.com/images/08sale/1467.jpg, it is the only one I have seen.  I've attached his picture below because I want everyone to see it.  Does anyone else have any information on him?                                                                                                                       

Attachments

• Show-Business.jpg.jpg
    Show-Business.jpg.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 678

showsteerdlux

I sure liked the looks of the calf. I guess time will tell but one would think that this bull would be capable of throwing some really good females.

bcosu

i think in his ad it said a full brother was champion chi at louisville and possibly kc? champion bull that is.

bcosu

there was an ad in the livestock plus or show circuit for a while i'll look for it and scan it if i find it.

aj

It almost seems impossible to evaluate promoted bulls anymore. By the time you see them they have been weaned....put under fans or whatever.....pushed on show feed....had photos doctored....and have a massive haircoat. Almost looks like the best option is to use proven sires and let someone else do the experimenting. But then how do you find new bulls? I wonder what the nation's semen sale volume is for a year and I wonder what % of display bulls are washouts?

bcosu

i wonder if that is kind of what happened to naughty pine. he didn't have a whole lot of calves in his first calf crop then people realized he wasn't bad and had a few more this year. seemed to be one of those better bulls that kind of got lost for a while.