Football

Help Support Steer Planet:

JSchroeder

How in the world did A&M and Missouri end the rivalries?  Both teams are on record saying they're willing to continue them.  It's UT and KU that refuse to play.

Deserters?  Every school in the Big XII short of KSU, KU, ISU, and Baylor has attempted to leave the conference at some point in the past two years.  The conference is so scared of more teams leaving that they made everyone turn over their TV rights.  

I understand you feel scored, that doesn't excuse making blatantly wrong statements.

pjkjr4

Wow!!! I thought the title of this post was football. Funny how it got into a big argument about conference realignment.

However, in my opinion, school presidents, ADs, university boards, and conference officials have only been letting out what information that they want to be made public. None of us knows the whole story of this, but the bottom line is money. College athletics is business. Big business. Businesses cannot be competitive without turning profits. When school officials look across the fence, and see the TV contracts that another conference gets, instead of getting emotional, and wanting to jump ship, they need to put their heads together, and fight for the greater good of their own conference. They all are talking out of both sides of their mouths. When a collegiate athlete playing a major sport wants to transfer, he/she can only transfer to the same division of colleges, that the current coaching staff/administration will let them. But on the other hand, colleges can go basically any conference that will have them?? Something's wrong with that picture to me.

Sorry for the rambling.

JSchroeder

When school officials look across the fence, and see the TV contracts that another conference gets, instead of getting emotional, and wanting to jump ship, they need to put their heads together, and fight for the greater good of their own conference.

So, in your opion, should the Big XII even exist?

When a collegiate athlete playing a major sport wants to transfer, he/she can only transfer to the same division of colleges, that the current coaching staff/administration will let them.

Do you mean like Baylor tried to do to A&M?  Or are you talking about the letter from the Big XII that said they were okay with A&M leaving?

BTW, athletes can transfer wherever they wish, it's only a restriction on them receiving a scholarship at their new school.  You know, a financial hit, kind of like an exit fee.

pjkjr4

Jeff- You seriously sound like someone crying over spilled milk. You may not be....but you sure sound like it. Of course the Big 12 should exist....why shouldn't it? Should the Big 10, the SEC, Pac 12?

Thank you for adding to my comment on the comparisons of athletes to schools bailing. I was on the phone at the time, and cannot think clearly on 2 completely different subjects at once. My point is, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Back to the original point Jeff, what's A&M football going to be like this year?

JSchroeder

Jeff- You seriously sound like someone crying over spilled milk. You may not be....but you sure sound like it.
Please tell me what exactly I’ve said that you think is me crying.  I’m very interested in that.
Of course the Big 12 should exist....why shouldn't it? Should the Big 10, the SEC, Pac 12?
You know the Big XII only exists because the Big 8 and the SWC didn’t want to do exactly what you are trying to say everyone should do now right?  They didn’t stop and do what was best for their conference, they realized something was broken (lack of TVs in addition to other issues) and they moved on.
Thank you for adding to my comment on the comparisons of athletes to schools bailing. I was on the phone at the time, and cannot think clearly on 2 completely different subjects at once. My point is, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
So how are they different?  Colleges can’t just go to any conference that will have them, they have to get approval or pay a price to their former conferences first.

edit: Except for the SEC.  If you want to leave the SEC, you just leave.  They don't have to use an exit fee to keep 1/3 of their conference from leaving them behind.

Back to the original point Jeff, what's A&M football going to be like this year?
I haven't made predictions in years.  I think that anybody who tells you they know what a team with a completely new coaching staff and conference is going to do, you should laugh at them for being a fool.  I thought Sumlin would have been a great replacement for R.C. about eight years ago when he was the OC.  He would have fit in perfectly in the Big XII’s “pass first, defense be damned” mindset.  SEC, I have no clue whatsoever.

The only thing I know for sure is that if A&M has a good year, it will be "haha, see a 6-6 Big XII school just beat up on the SEC" and if it's a bad year it will be "haha, see, A&M had not business going to the SEC".