Going to Ft. Worth

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

sawboss said:
After waiting in line 15 hours the boys got settled in at Barn 1 stalls 21-25.  Official weigh-in and sifting started at 7:00 am CST and will take all day.  Chambero e-mailed me yesterday they are in Barn 1 stalls 333-338.  Look us up!
Are you serious, it took 15 hours in line to get to the barn?

sawboss

Yes 15 hours!  They arrived Tuesday at 1:30 am and unloaded at 4:30 pm.  There will be close to 2000 steers there, and the swine exhibits arrived yesterday.  Both of our steers dropped 30 lbs. while waiting on the trailer to unload.  Everthing is bigger, but there has to be a better way to coordinate arrivals for the welfare of the people and animals.  Those that don't make the sale will face the same problem trying to depart on Thursday and Friday.  I just pray we are not in the departure line, but probably will be since this is the first big show of the Major circuit.

NHR

kimbaljd said:
I am new to this, are all the major shows like that? With time waiting?

most majors in texas have long wait times in line. at san antonio last year we had a 10 hour wait with heifers. san antonio has to be the worst show as far as facilities and wait times.

renegade

This may be a stupid question but what is sifting? Thats what we call the interviews when you are trying to become an FFA officer but i dont know what it means as far as showing.

Also i like that baldy calf A LOT and the shorty has the same coloring (like the pattern) as my shorty steer but my calf is black instead of red

shorthorns r us

renegade said:
This may be a stupid question but what is sifting? Thats what we call the interviews when you are trying to become an FFA officer but i dont know what it means as far as showing.

Also i like that baldy calf A LOT and the shorty has the same coloring (like the pattern) as my shorty steer but my calf is black instead of red

so you have a black roan (aka blue roan) steer.  according to the shorthorn assoc. rules anything with black is only considered a 1/2 blood appendix.    I don't know about the specific rules for your show circuit;, but, here he would show as a crossbred.  in some places there is an appendix shorthorn division.  there very well may be something that i don't know about your specific circumstances and i hope that i am wrong; but, i would be surprised if you get to show a blue roan as a shorthorn.

shortyjock89

Yeah, just sayin...black roans are NOT Shorthorns...they're ShorthornPlus or Appendix Shorthorn.  Alot of places black calves that are 1/2 Shorthorn can show as Purebreds...this is ridiculous...sorry to jack the thread, but a Shorthorn isn't a Shorthorn until the papers are red!

shorthorns r us

shortyjock89 said:
Yeah, just sayin...black roans are NOT Shorthorns...they're ShorthornPlus or Appendix Shorthorn.  Alot of places black calves that are 1/2 Shorthorn can show as Purebreds...this is ridiculous...sorry to jack the thread, but a Shorthorn isn't a Shorthorn until the papers are red!

young whipper-snapper, look at you remembering to call them SH plus.   ;)

shortyjock89

SRU said:
shortyjock89 said:

young whipper-snapper, look at you remembering to call them SH plus.   ;)

Lol...SRU, I only remember to call it SH Plus because it's been pounded into my head for the last few months by the association...We have a couple 3/4 SH, and I call 'em crossbreds lol.

renegade

I just call him shorthorn cause thats what they call them around here and thats all i have ever thought to call a blue roan (shorties are still gaining popularity around here so we are still learning). At the end of march i have a show and shorthorns have a categorie and idk if steers are shown under their own breeds or what but if they are then i dont know but wouldnt be surprised if he is shown shorty. The guy who is putting it on is my brothers 4-H leader and he raises angus and shorthorns so who knows. Sorry i didnt know that shorthorns couldnt be blue. I learn something new every day

itk

You should be able to show him in the AOB class. The Kansas Association went through this whole issue a few years ago. People were showing up with green papers and getting put in the purebred class since the papers were issued by the ASA. We had to educate the show managers and county agents on the difference between the two colors and the problem has gotten much better. At most of the bigger shows here numbers have allowed us to have a shorthorn+ steer and heifer class.

showsteerdlux

Sift is where they choose which steers can show and which ones are just sent to the packer. Its like yuou have to make the cut because they have so many steers there. the lower quality calves are shipped to the packer or home instead of just adding animals to the classes. Hope that makes since.