Going to Ft. Worth

Help Support Steer Planet:

nosejob8807

the sift at fort worth (for steers) is when you go through and declare a breed infront of 3 people, they decide if you can show in that breed (the only have angus, hereford, p. hereford, shorthorn, american X's, and exotics), you also weigh-in and tag steers.. also, everyone gets to show (if you get through the sift)
but lets just say, you have an "angus" calf and you want to show angus BUT you don't have enough breed charactistcs.. you get sifted and you do not show.. i dont think very many people get sifted but if your in doubt, show exotic

showsteerdlux

O ok my mistake. So you can have a calf that you say is angus but is only like 25% angus and still be able to show that way?

Joe Boy

SRU said:
renegade said:
This may be a stupid question but what is sifting? Thats what we call the interviews when you are trying to become an FFA officer but i dont know what it means as far as showing.

Also i like that baldy calf A LOT and the shorty has the same coloring (like the pattern) as my shorty steer but my calf is black instead of red

so you have a black roan (aka blue roan) steer.  according to the shorthorn assoc. rules anything with black is only considered a 1/2 blood appendix.    I don't know about the specific rules for your show circuit;, but, here he would show as a crossbred.  in some places there is an appendix shorthorn division.  there very well may be something that i don't know about your specific circumstances and i hope that i am wrong; but, i would be surprised if you get to show a blue roan as a shorthorn.

There are no stupid questions.  We ask to learn. 

Use too in herefords their color was a reason to cull and they had to show in AOB at some shows or go home in others.  Polls had to be polled, no surgery.  In the American Breed they have to have ear, and sheath.  In shorthorns I have seen the culled for the red being too dark... it is supposed to be about having breed (whatever breed is showing) characteristics.  I like it when there are 3 people doing it.  I don't like it when they look at each other and talk to each other.  I think each should make up his mind and drop the color stone (ball) he chooses.

Joe Boy

My brother had a calf to show today in the American Breed and I have not heard how it did.  It was a really good calf.

sawboss

For us you can change "Going" to "Gone" from Fort Worth.  Neither of the one of the boys calves were branded.  It was a real eye opener for us rookies, as we learned that we have really good calves that have not been exposed to the tricks of the trade.  We were not ashamed of our calves and will strive to improve on our preparation methods in order for us to move up the ladder.  The quality of animals not making the top ten in their class and culled would blow your mind.  If there is a stronger quality show than this it would be a sight to see.

sawboss

We didn't.  If you are not pulled to be judged you are simply dismissed from the showring.  For example 36 Shorthorn lightweights in class, 14 were selected to be judged upon entering the ring, the remainder are dismissed and you are through.  In the Baldy calf's class 66 entered and 15 were selected to stay.  You get one look upon entering and one more look after you set up for a rear view, and you better make it count.  After all others are dismissed then the judge places the remaining steers in order 1-10 for sale and the remainders are dismissed.  So in a nut shell first impression gets you in the "Show".

sawboss

I saw Chambero yesterday, they show this morning in the Medium Weights.  Calf looked nice, but the Medium and Heavy Weights are stacked with the true studs of the European Class.

sawboss

Hard to tell I did not see all 2000 steers housed in four barns.  The Champions of all the breeds were tremendous, but the winner will have a black hide around it.

mrs sawboss

Renegade:  Here are photos of Bandit (black baldie) from yesterday at Ft. Worth.  Enjoy and thanks for the interest!

Attachments

• Ft Worth Steer Show 022 (Small).jpg
    Ft Worth Steer Show 022 (Small).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 277

mrs sawboss

Renegade:  Only got one of my pics to post.  Hopefully, this time you will get the others. 

Attachments

• Ft Worth Steer Show 018 (Small).jpg
    Ft Worth Steer Show 018 (Small).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 256
  • Ft Worth Steer Show 020 (Small).jpg
    Ft Worth Steer Show 020 (Small).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 252

mrs sawboss

Sawboss wanted me to post pics of the Shorthorn at Ft. Worth.  Have to give my other child equal billing!!!!  Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Ft Worth Steer Show 007 (Small).jpg
    Ft Worth Steer Show 007 (Small).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Ft Worth Steer Show 001 (Small).jpg
    Ft Worth Steer Show 001 (Small).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 268

knabe

mrs. sawboss,

is the baldie in a mixed class in the first pic?  that animal next to him is pretty big, and i assume you passed the sifting as both are showing?

mrs sawboss

The baldie was in the 3rd lightweight class of European/exoctic  steers.  We passed the sift but didn't get much farther than that.  Both my boys got to spend less than 5 minutes in the ring.  Learned a great deal and will apply it from here on out.  As I tell my husband, we learn something everytime we go out to a show and send the boys out in the ring.

Latest posts