Going to Ft. Worth

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

showsteerdlux said:
Anyone know which weight class they came from and what the weights at home probably were?

It says that the grand champion steer was 1280. The reserve steer brought 100,000 and the grand is being donated to the Ft. Worth Zoo but it didnt say what they were gonna do with him and the reserve steer will be donated back to the stock show.

DLD

Grand and reserve both came from class 9.

You have to remember that a big steers weight varies alot naturally - a gallon of water weighs a little over 8 pounds, so just one bucket of water has 40+ pounds of effect. How much weight is pulled from a steer to make him competitive varies a whole lot, mostly by how the steer is built. A really soft, soggy, big middled one can be pulled down alot more than a harder made one. A few steers (some of the really stout ones, that are at 12 o'clock) can be competitive at their natural weight, but most need to be weighed lighter in order to appear extra stout.

Just by the sheer numbers of steers at Fort Worth, pulling weight is so crucial on almost all of the steers, because as others have said, if you don't look stout enough to catch the judges eye the moment you walk in the ring, your chances are pretty slim. And since placing in the top 10 in your class insures a slot in the sale, the majority are only concerned with that. At OKC, where the numbers are much smaller and there are several more breed divisions and we have to show against the whole breed for sale order, the smaller steers sometimes need to weighed heavier rather than lighter, in order for them to be "big enough" to be competive in class and for a sale slot.

Telos

In class 9, where the grand and reserve came out of, there was a big difference of frame size as well. It was your larger framed steers that did not carry the thickness or muscling  which were in trouble. I would say both grand and reserve were part of the smaller framed calves in the class. Their total volume and stoutness( they both had enormous tops and butts) was what separated them from the pack along with their completeness. That particular class was extremely deep in quaility with the last place calf being a very good kind of a steer. There was a bunch of good steers that got the gate, but this steer show was tuff. Very, very tuff.

garybob

Joe Boy said:
SRU said:
renegade said:
This may be a stupid question but what is sifting? Thats what we call the interviews when you are trying to become an FFA officer but i dont know what it means as far as showing.

Also i like that baldy calf A LOT and the shorty has the same coloring (like the pattern) as my shorty steer but my calf is black instead of red

so you have a black roan (aka blue roan) steer.  according to the shorthorn assoc. rules anything with black is only considered a 1/2 blood appendix.    I don't know about the specific rules for your show circuit;, but, here he would show as a crossbred.  in some places there is an appendix shorthorn division.  there very well may be something that i don't know about your specific circumstances and i hope that i am wrong; but, i would be surprised if you get to show a blue roan as a shorthorn.

There are no stupid questions.  We ask to learn. 

Use too in herefords their color was a reason to cull and they had to show in AOB at some shows or go home in others.  Polls had to be polled, no surgery.  In the American Breed they have to have ear, and sheath.  In shorthorns I have seen the culled for the red being too dark... it is supposed to be about having breed (whatever breed is showing) characteristics.  I like it when there are 3 people doing it.  I don't like it when they look at each other and talk to each other.  I think each should make up his mind and drop the color stone (ball) he chooses.
The 'red' in Shorthorns is supposed to be dark.My rule of thumb, if it looks 'orange', it's appendix. To me, Warhorse is colored like a Guernsey.

I'll get off my soapbox, now.

GB

afhm

Grand was a Money Talks sold by Ricky and Rusty Day (there is a pic on their website).  They got him from Bobby May.  The reserve was a Heat Wave.

shorthorns r us

afhm said:
Grand was a Money Talks sold by Ricky and Rusty Day (there is a pic on their website).  They got him from Bobby May.  The reserve was a Heat Wave.

Do you think he looks like a Money Talks? ? ?

chambero

The Grand Steer at Fort Worth was an April calf that was bred in South Dakota.  I visited a long time with the breeder who had a pen of heifers in the sale we did.  He told me he sold it to Days, but Bobby May was never mentioned.  If I remember correctly which I'm pretty sure I did, he didn't name Money Talks as the sire.  Who knows that the calf was, but he was very good.  I've really like both of Callahan's champions the past two years.

That being said, the steers that are making the sale at Fort Worth are really short and fatter than I can believe.  A lot of these calves are very old (no surprise there) and are not at all the same body type that do well at our slick shear shows.

We didn't do anything with our steers at Fort Worth.  Our fall borns just aren't mature enough yet.

Jill

An April calf by now has got to be STALE, around here those are targeted for our State Fair in September.

chambero

These calves are fed along very slowly and pulled down like crazy.  That is how how they are showing the maturity to get the really heavy bone and fat.  It's a shame Fort Worth doesn't have a carcass contest to shed a little light on their carcass aspects.  But, that's what it takes at this show right now.

chambero

Yes - he was the judge.

It would be really hard for him to pick against the calves that he is using.  But they are getting really short and really fat.

knabe

good to see he picks the same things.  that guy in my opinion, is one of the top 5-10 judges in the nation.

probably i would only rank bill jacobs higher.

chambero

We always hope for a little higher, but we did fine.  I'd have like to have had both pens up over $2K.  We spend a lot of money feeding those things to get them fattened up + expenses at the show with our crew.

Telos

We had a September or October calf that was in the same class. He weigh in at 1308 lbs.. Maybe I don't feel so bad knowing how some of those top steers were managed. They sure looked good though. I guess some calves are blessed with keeping their freshness at 20 plus months of age. 

Chambero. If the grand was an April, he would not be considered the best calf I've ever seen. That kind of of disappoints me knowing that.