Going to Ft. Worth

Help Support Steer Planet:

mrs sawboss

These are our boys going to Ft. Worth next week!  Wish us luck!  Sawboss wanted me to post them for you guys to see!

Attachments

• IMG_0040 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0040 (Small).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_0041 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0041 (Small).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 569

sawboss

The black calf is a Friction x Simmi cross and currently weighs 1150.  The Shorty is out of a son of Eskimo Joe and weighs 1100.  Both will be lightweights at Fort Worth.
Knabe, Thanks for the compliment on the clip job.  I will pass this along to our Ag. Teacher, since he does all of it for us.  He will put the final touches on them after we arrive for the show.

shortyjock89

Nice calves Sawboss & family! I think that they should do pretty well in the lightweight division, esp. the Friction.  Let us know how you do for sure! (clapping)

showsteerdlux

Bith calves are nice and it appears that you have done a great job taking care of them. Best of wishes for Ft. Worth.

sawboss

Thanks for the compliments and good wishes!  You have good judging skills also.  The Friction is by far the better of the two calves, but the Shorty has a better shot at making the premium sale.  The Friction will be thrown in with all European Breeds and the Shorty will compete only against other Shorties.  The Shorty when fitted for the ring is also the flashiest.  Thanks again, I will let you know how it turns out, they both show on Thursday 1-31-08.

chambero

Here is a steer we sold that is headed to FW and that I clipped yesterday.  He is in the midst of getting pulled down pretty hard, so he is looking kind of lank.  This steer is sired by one of our herd bulls.  He is very good in the back end and from the side, but probably his biggest weakness is he doesn't carry the thickness in his butt down his back as much as I'd like.  Although that is probably more a function of the calf doesn't have enough hair to make it look like he does.  He is probably a tick taller than most calves nowadays also.

He's getting pulled back to between 1200 and 1240 lbs.  In person he looks pretty good.  He might have a shot at making the sale, but I'm afraid lack of hair will get him in the end at this show.

chambero

Cattle003.jpg

Cattle005.jpg

Cattle006.jpg

showsteerdlux

Nice calf imo. He has alot of muscle expression and seems to be sound. I like that all four feet pretty much point in the same direction except a little toeing out on the front end. Seems to have a near perfect finish from the pic and has alot of rib shape and I like his neck/shoulder. Also has alot of width that seems to be packed full of muscle. Hope they do well with him and make the sale. For curiositys sake what is the breeding on him? And also what is the hay in the background?

chambero

He will probably make a better slick sheer calf.  None of his feet toe out at all - he's just really unhappy at the time those pictures were taken after about 5 hours in a chute with a very empty belly.  He didn't want to stand very well at all at the end of his ordeal.  The kid didn't put a whole lot of time into his hair and he'd probably never been in a chute more than an hour.

Ironically, he's out of the worst "problem" bull we've ever bought structure wise.  The bull would up too straight on the back end at about 5 yrs old and was the culprit for two spastic paresis calves before his hiney was shipped to the sale barn.  He did throw some of our best show calves three years running, but having to shoot one in the pasture each year got old in a big hurry.  The bull was sired by Playmate out of a Power Plant cow.

He did finish out pretty easily also.  We started adding a scoop of steam rolled corn to his grower ration back in August and he is about as well finished as I've wound up with one.

The hay in the background is just our stash of coastal square bales for our show calves.

showsteerdlux

I figured that he was unhappy about standing. Should have said that I guessed that in the previous post. I like the hay. Do cattle do well on it? I can't get over his finish though. He looks perfect and fresh. IMO he should make the sale with that finish and amount of muscle alone.

chambero

Fort Worth is a ferociously tough show - I've been disappointed too many times to even start to let kids get their hopes up.  There are usually about 2,000 steers.  Crossbred classes will have close to 80-90 calves each with 10 making the sale.

Coastal is our dominant hay type down here.

showsteerdlux

Well 90 in a class is almost double the amount of calves we have at our state fair... on a good year. I sure hope he does well for ya'll.

sawboss

Anybody interested in seeing the calves or meeting myself and my sons, we are housed in cattle barn #1 with Garrison FFA.  I'll be there Wednesday evening and Thursday, look for the ugly 6'7" 280lb. man with white goatee.  There should not many like that hanging around our exhibit stalls.  Look forward to meeting as many planet members as possible.  Good luck to all that have exhibits.  Sawboss

Telos

I'm starting to feel like a kid again. I like like steer shows more then a like Football or any other sport. Sawboss, looking forward to meeting you and all the other Steer Planet gang.

sawboss

After waiting in line 15 hours the boys got settled in at Barn 1 stalls 21-25.  Official weigh-in and sifting started at 7:00 am CST and will take all day.  Chambero e-mailed me yesterday they are in Barn 1 stalls 333-338.  Look us up!