Interesting reading on the elections

Help Support Steer Planet:

stumpy

Sent to me by a friend...just some info. to pass on...

2008 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE COMPARISON TALKING POINTS

ISSUE
JOHN MCCAIN
BARACK OBAMA

Favors new drilling offshore US
YES
NO

Will appoint judges who interpret the law not make it
YES
NO

Served in the US Armed Forces
YES
NO

Amount of time served in the US Senate
22 YEARS
173 DAYS

Will institute a socialized national health care plan
NO
YES

Supports abortion throughout the pregnancy
NO
YES

Would pull troops out of Iraq immediately
NO
YES

Supports gun ownership rights
YES
NO

Supports homosexual marriage
NO
YES

Proposed programs will mean a huge tax increase
NO
YES

Voted against making English the official language
NO
YES

Voted to give Social Security benefits to illegals
NO
YES

CAPITAL GAINS TAX

MCCAIN:

0% on home sales up to $500,000 per home (couples). McCain does not propose any change in existing home sales income tax.

OBAMA:

28% on profit from ALL home sales.  (How does this affect you? If you sell your home and make a profit, you will pay 28% of your gain on taxes. If you are heading toward retirement and would like to down-size your home or move into a retirement community, 28% of the money you make from your home will go to taxes. This proposal will adversely affect the elderly who are counting on the income from their homes as part of their retirement income.)

DIVIDEND TAX

MCCAIN:

15% (no change)

OBAMA:

39.6% - (How will this affect you? If you have any money invested in stock market, IRA, mutual funds, college funds, life insurance, retirement accounts, or anything that pays or reinvests dividends, you will now be paying nearly 40% of the money earned on taxes if Obama becomes president. The experts predict that 'Higher tax rates on dividends and capital gains would crash the stock market, yet do 'absolutely nothing to cut the deficit.')

INCOME TAX

MCCAIN: (no changes)

Single making 30K - tax $4,500

Single making 50K - tax $12,500

Single making 75K - tax $18,750

Married making 60K- tax $9,000

Married making 75K - tax $18,750

Married making 125K - tax $31,250

OBAMA: (reversion to pre-Bush tax cuts)

Single making 30K - tax $8,400

Single making 50K - tax $14,000

Single making 75K - tax $23,250

Married making 60K - tax $16,800

Married making 75K - tax $21,000

Married making 125K - tax $38,750

Under Obama, your taxes could almost double!

INHERITANCE TAX

MCCAIN:

0% (No change, Bush repealed this tax)

OBAMA:

Restore the inheritance tax.

Many families have lost businesses, farms, ranches, and homes that have been in their families for generations because they could not afford th= inheritance tax. Those willing their assets to loved ones will only lose them to these taxes.

NEW TAXES PROPOSED BY OBAMA

New government taxes proposed on homes that are more than 2400 square feet.  New gasoline taxes (as if gas weren't high enough already) New taxes on natural resources consumption (heating gas, water, electricity)  New taxes on retirement accounts, and last but not least....New taxes to pay for socialized medicine so we can receive the same level of medical care as other third-world countries!!!

You can verify the above at the following web sites:

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/election/2008/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.taxes.html

http://elections.foxnews.com/?s=proposed+taxes

http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourworld/politics/articles/mccain_obama_offer_different_visions_on_taxes.html 

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/candidates/barack_obama/

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/candidates/john_mccain/

justme

Did anyone listen to Palin's speech tonite?  She's one spunky woman...I really like her. 

Phantoosm

Now who all is naive and gullible enough to believe the lies that come out of both candidates mouths? 

JESSE VENTURA FOR PRESIDENT 2012

Ausley Family Farms

Naive and gullible! Please tell me why we are so " naive and gullible". Is it because we listen to a person who is straight forward and honest about everything she believes in. Or is it because she represents everything that SHOULD BE right and just in America?

Phantoosm

Ausley Family Farms said:
Naive and gullible! Please tell me why we are so " naive and gullible". Is it because we listen to a person who is straight forward and honest about everything she believes in. Or is it because she represents everything that SHOULD BE right and just in America?

So you believe everything a politician tells you?  That right there proves my point about Americans.  Tell them what they want to hear and they will believe it.  What makes you so sure that she is being so honest, and not telling you what your itching ears want to hear?  Geez, I guess you would believe anything wouldn't you?  I'm sure if she told you that the Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus were real you would believe that also.  Not only are left winged politicians liars and crooks, even right winged politicians are liars and crooks believe it or not. 

Also another way to sucker Americans and get votes is tell them that you believe in Jesus Christ, and that you take orders straight from the throne of God.  No wonder these televangelists rip so many naive Americans off in this country. 

I realize I am in the minority here on SP, however FYI, not all of us Americans agree with your OPINION of what SHOULD BE right and just in America.  Equal rights for all human beings regardless of religion, race, sexual preference, and gender identity is what should be RIGHT and just in America.  Not some bigoted dictatorship that persecutes, alienates, and oppresses those who are different. 

"I believe everyone should be free to determine their own experience in life and not have it imposed by someone else. We don’t need our reality filtered through religious dogma any more than we need spring water adulterated with chemicals."

Pat Condell

Doc

Ausley FF, I see you're somewhat of a newbie on here , so I'll let you know. You just woke up the gnome. If you're real quiet , he won't think there is anything going on in the world & he'll go back to where ever he comes out from.
Yes, I think she did a pretty good job overall for a small time Alaska city mayor. Oh , wait a minute that's right , she's also been the Governor of Alaska for over 2 years now. I geuss I'm like some other people out there & forgot. ;D

BIGTEX

"I believe everyone should be free to determine their own experience in life and not have it imposed by someone else. We don’t need our reality filtered through religious dogma any more than we need spring water adulterated with chemicals."

Pat Condell

[/quote]

Do you really believe this? All you have done on here is tell everyone how stupid they and their beliefs are. So stop trying to push your beliefs on us.

BIGTEX

Do you know the difference between a dead snake in the road or a dead lawyer inthe road.?

The snake had skid marks in front of it!

Old joke I know.

BIGTEX

If McCain-Palin are for more drilling, pro-life, pro-God and pro guns, that's enough for me.

ELBEE

My determination of experience in life is that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that by His shed blood I received the Free Gift of eternal life. On that Faith I stand! Don't waste your time trying to convince me otherwise.

My vote is for McCain-Palin.  

fluffer

Ditto!  I am for McCain Palin as well.
Pro Guns
Pro Drill
Reduce Taxes
No National Health Care Plan
Fight Terrorism Over there and not over here- stay on offence
REDUCE THE SIZE OF GOVERNENT

I loved her speech last night too!  I bet Hillary is fit to be tied!

McCain choosing Palin has made me switch from voting against Obama to voting for McCain- and I do not think they are perfect but they are a heck of a lot better then the alternative!

Fluffer

Doc

fluffer said:
McCain choosing Palin has made me switch from voting against Obama to voting for McCain- and I do not think they are perfect but they are a heck of a lot better then the alternative!

Fluffer

Very well put!! I agree!! Once again , I think experience making real decisions as Mayor & Governor trumps 143 days experience of voting on decisions made by others.

Jill

I have to agree, I am more impressed with Palin than I was with McCain, I think he made an excellent choice.

cattlejunky

I loved Palin's speech <party>  loved all the jabs at the Dems.  I would love to see her and Nancy Pelosi go at it.  I was already a McCain supporter and she has really sweetened the pot.  I hope she does as well in the debates and makes Biden look like a butt.  I thought Huckabee did a nice job also.