"MY TURN" Information by Brad Hook.....please read.

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbw

At watching that video I would say CARCASS, those are the type of animals that flat out yeild!  Does she marble? don't know. What is her backfat? don't know.  When finishing out calves you don't get paid for the hair, bone, head, or guts. You get paid by the amount of meat that animal has.Carcass traits are the most heritable of the traits.  Is that the type of cow that I want 100 of. Nope. But I sure wish I had one!
I takes power cows to make power bulls!

Now we just have to bring the birthweights down to a more manageable realm.

On a side note I think it is interesting when we get our kill sheets back, you cannot tell the ribeye area by looking at the steer/mrkt hfr.  It does not make that much difference how wide the animal is across the back. That loin can lay deep into the animal that you cannot see.

DTW

I agree you need to have a couple cows like that to produce those steers and bulls that have the muscle.  She has the power yet she is smooth shouldered.  And even though she is a little short strided just have to know how to breed her.
I sure wouldnt sell a cow like that because she has to much muscle.

jbh

BIGTEX said:
knabe said:
DTW said:
That cow looks like she has a ton of power in her.  Little short strided but alot of muscle.

especially on the left rear.  if her head was different, she'd almost look like a bull.  hope she settles and can milk.

That's funny! She does look like a bull from behind.

Correct me if I'm wrong......but I think what you're seeing is probably years of embryo transplant drugs taking their toll on her.  I'm sure she had alot of power to begin with....but if a cow has been flushed a bunch of times, and I'm sure SHE has, they CERTAINLY GET BULLY LOOKING.

Everyone has their own idea of an ideal cow......the ideal cow in MY MIND is one that makes PILES OF MONEY!..... no matter what she looks like! (thumbsup)

RAShower

Next show that I am at and you're judging, JBH, I'm going to clip a big "$" in the side of my heifer. ;D ;) ;)

jbh

RA Drover said:
Next show that I am at and you're judging, JBH, I'm going to clip a big "$" in the side of my heifer. ;D ;) ;)

Be sure and paint it green! (clapping)

You know......I say that.....BUT IN MY MIND.....ALL the cows that make a "PILE OF MONEY" generally look very similar ANYWAY! Truth????

herefordfootball

jbh said:
BIGTEX said:
knabe said:
DTW said:
That cow looks like she has a ton of power in her.  Little short strided but alot of muscle.

especially on the left rear.  if her head was different, she'd almost look like a bull.  hope she settles and can milk.

Correct me if I'm wrong......but I think what you're seeing is probably years of embryo transplant drugs taking their toll on her.  I'm sure she had alot of power to begin with....but if a cow has been flushed a bunch of times, and I'm sure SHE has, they CERTAINLY GET BULLY LOOKING.

Everyone has their own idea of an ideal cow......the ideal cow in MY MIND is one that makes PILES OF MONEY!..... no matter what she looks like! (thumbsup)

My thoughts exactly  (clapping)

steel

I'm glad to hear that honesty is still alive in people in general.  Some people i would wait in line to shake there hand.  I do believe Brad Hook is one of those people now. 

OH Breeder

This is kind of interesting. I saw an amazing calf this year in Southern Ohio and it did some winning at the state level. It was a My Turn. The guy said the cow was a WHo x Angus. I thought WOW they missed a bullet with the structure and soundness double breeding a WHO. The calf had a TON of power. I to will be more likely to use him now we know he is not a Who. I always worried about line breeding a WHo made Who. This is great news. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like this may be a good bull for the Who cows.Thank you Mr. Hook.

R1Livestock

DTW said:
I agree you need to have a couple cows like that to produce those steers and bulls that have the muscle.   She has the power yet she is smooth shouldered.  And even though she is a little short strided just have to know how to breed her.
I sure wouldnt sell a cow like that because she has to much muscle.

I think there is a noticeable difference between muscling and masculinity, but there is no doubt a correlation, and ask any old timer of any species, the most feminine cows produce the most masculine bulls and vice versa.  I certainly see this play out, especially in the commercial herds I've been through.  How about you guys?

As for the Kroupa cow, you have to admire her for how well she does move relative to her muscle and muscle pattern.  She's tighter than we'd like, but most cows that look like that are a lot worse off than she is.

GONEWEST

knabe said:
DTW said:

When a cow gets to be a cow, it doesn't matter what they look like or if they are short strided or what kind of EPD's they have or what her breeding is or her color or anything. The only thing that matters is what she produces. The only performance indicator that really matters is the bank statement. Everything else is idealism. You can take idealism and a dollar to the store and buy a soda.

GONEWEST

jbh said:
BIGTEX said:
knabe said:
DTW said:

Yeah what brad said. I guess I should read all the pposts before replying, sorry

ZNT

[/quote]
When a cow gets to be a cow, it doesn't matter what they look like or if they are short strided
[/quote]

I know this is not an issue for most people, but for those who are in the Sandhills of Nebraska or the big county of Wyoming, Montana, Utah,  etc. Where cattle have to move to survive, it is a big issue. Soundness = Longevity. That being said, a mature cow that is short strided is not an issue for most on this board.  I do agree, a donor cow can not be judged by how she looks after years of hormones.

yuppiecowboy

ZNT, are you implying White Lake SD is a veritable bovine hothouse in comparison to Tecumseh NE?

Can we just agree that freaky show cattle are not necessarily abundant in practical traits to suit all environments of beef production, call it a given, and speak no more of it again?

That cow has a ton of things about her that would imply that it would not be a good idea to drop her off in a mountain desert pasture for the year and expect good things. And she looks like a snotty brat to boot.

But whatever she is, she is a whole lot of it, and she looks cool doing it.

DL

Sure makes a good case for parentally verifying AI bulls prior to use eh?

How about just listing the real pedigree of the bull -

SPL

If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember seeing a picture of Gregory's Kaboom bull.  I was out there in 03 and saw Kadabra, and I was thinking that not long afterwards, they had a picture on their website of a bull named Kaboom.  He was Black with some white on his rear legs.  I could be wrong, it has been 7 years ago, but as soon as you said a Kadabra son named Kaboom, that was the picture that flashed in my mind.

Smith

jbh said:
Alpha said:
ok call me stupid but how is he bred now ...... or what is he being DNA to
_

Sire: Hotmail Son x Ice Pick/Dunk(sm)/An

...... Raised by Greg Kroupa.....dam of this bull just brought $31,000 for half and is still on Greg's website. Full sister sold in Wade Rodger's bred heifer sale for alot of money (don't remember exactly how much).

Dam: KABOOM(MA) x Ruby .....raised by Wayne and Barb Ohlrich (this DNA test will be done in a week or so, but the Kadabra test was only 4 markers off of a possible 96 markers total, so we're pretty sure it's this female, one of the two that the "breeder" purchased from Ohlrichs.

Brad,

It would appear to me that if this holds true and the breeder was willing to cooperate, My Turn could be registered as a Mainetainer (as they did with Heat Wave). 
Would you agree?