"MY TURN" Information by Brad Hook.....please read.

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

Smith said:
jbh said:
Alpha said:
ok call me stupid but how is he bred now ...... or what is he being DNA to
_

Sire: Hotmail Son x Ice Pick/Dunk(sm)/An

...... Raised by Greg Kroupa.....dam of this bull just brought $31,000 for half and is still on Greg's website. Full sister sold in Wade Rodger's bred heifer sale for alot of money (don't remember exactly how much).

Dam: KABOOM(MA) x Ruby .....raised by Wayne and Barb Ohlrich (this DNA test will be done in a week or so, but the Kadabra test was only 4 markers off of a possible 96 markers total, so we're pretty sure it's this female, one of the two that the "breeder" purchased from Ohlrichs.

Brad,

It would appear to me that if this holds true and the breeder was willing to cooperate, My Turn could be registered as a Mainetainer (as they did with Heat Wave). 
Would you agree?

I would also like to know that as I have a maintainer I am thinking of using him on.

Some of the best calves out of him I have seen were out of Who cows.

ATM OH

Our best heifer of the season was born Saturday and is a My Turn out of a Simm/Maine cow.

Gerard

Brad,
This is a My Turn calf that came from OH , had res breed champ at local, county middle of class at OYE in the Angus class.

Attachments

• 100_0417 Brooke at muskogee.jpg
    100_0417 Brooke at muskogee.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 210

Smith

OH Breeder said:
Smith said:
jbh said:
Alpha said:
_

...... Raised by Greg Kroupa.....dam of this bull just brought $31,000 for half and is still on Greg's website. Full sister sold in Wade Rodger's bred heifer sale for alot of money (don't remember exactly how much).

Dam: KABOOM(MA) x Ruby .....raised by Wayne and Barb Ohlrich (this DNA test will be done in a week or so, but the Kadabra test was only 4 markers off of a possible 96 markers total, so we're pretty sure it's this female, one of the two that the "breeder" purchased from Ohlrichs.

Brad,

It would appear to me that if this holds true and the breeder was willing to cooperate, My Turn could be registered as a Mainetainer (as they did with Heat Wave).  
Would you agree?

I would also like to know that as I have a maintainer I am thinking of using him on.

After looking through the AMAA's registration requirements it appears the only opportunity for this to be possible is if My Turn's sire was registered with another association (assumedly Chi).  

From http://www.maine-anjou.org/faq.html

"Registering Bulls
Bulls must be sired by a) registered M-A bulls, or b) registered bulls of another breed (see ‘Adding Other Breeds Pedigrees’ below)."

and upgrade percentages here http://www.maine-anjou.org/upgrade.html

If My Turn's sire is indeed the deceased Hotmail son and was never registered, then it would appear all is lost unless the ACA grants My Turn registration with the modified pedigree.
Perhaps others with more knowledge regarding Maine-Anjou registration can lead additional insight.

jbh

Smith said:
OH Breeder said:
Smith said:
jbh said:
Alpha said:
_

Brad,

Would you agree?

After looking through the AMAA's registration requirements it appears the only opportunity for this to be possible is if My Turn's sire was registered with another association (assumedly Chi). 

From http://www.maine-anjou.org/faq.html

"Registering Bulls
Bulls must be sired by a) registered M-A bulls, or b) registered bulls of another breed (see ‘Adding Other Breeds Pedigrees’ below)."

and upgrade percentages here http://www.maine-anjou.org/upgrade.html

If My Turn's sire is indeed the deceased Hotmail son and was never registered, then it would appear all is lost.
Perhaps others with more knowledge regarding Maine-Anjou registration can lead additional insight.

Sorry for the delayed response.....I'm really not that familiar with the Maine Assoc at all......  It appears you found out what it takes and if there's anything I can do to get him registered as a Mainetainer, I will do it.

rocknmranch

ATM OH said:
Our best heifer of the season was born Saturday and is a My Turn out of a Simm/Maine cow.

I would love to see some pics of your calf. Highly considering using My Turn on some cows this breeding season.

DL

OK call me stupid too but how about a pedigree - who is the bottom of the Hotmail son? What Angus? and who the heck is Ruby - in the Maines alone there must be 1000 Rubies - and BTW with the Angus has he been tested for AM, NH, MB? Seems like there may be way too much Pursuit to use him on many of the Maines...and just out of curiosity why didn't you get him parentally verified earlier???

Dam: KABOOM(MA) x Ruby ...

frostback

DL said:
OK call me stupid too but how about a pedigree - who is the bottom of the Hotmail son? What Angus? and who the heck is Ruby - in the Maines alone there must be 1000 Rubies - and BTW with the Angus has he been tested for AM, NH, MB? Seems like there may be way too much Pursuit to use him on many of the Maines...and just out of curiosity why didn't you get him parentally verified earlier???

Muussttt.........reeesissst...........tttemmmppttation..

advocate

Frostback you can resist but I won't DL I'm assuming since you are a diehard anti clubcalf you will never even consider this bull so please stop causing trouble I know you must think its fun to stir the pot but its a little old

DL

advocate said:
Frostback you can resist but I won't DL I'm assuming since you are a diehard anti clubcalf you will never even consider this bull so please stop causing trouble I know you must think its fun to stir the pot but its a little old

You must have me confused with someone else - I am just trying to figure out who exactly the bull is - if you go back and read the multiple posts I am not alone in my confusion - whether I choose to use the bull or not is really not of your concern and as someone who is interested in pedigrees I am interested in who this bull really is - why is that such a problem for you??

knabe

advocate said:

i don't think anti club is the issue, it's anti-defect perpetuating by not trying something different.  it's a good thing there really is such little competition trying to figure this stuff out.

herefordfootball

advocate said:

You've done plenty of pot stirring yourself...

jbh

DL said:

Let me try this one more time.....the sire of My Turn is a out of Hotmail and the Kroupa Donor that is an Ice Pick/Dunk/An, that's all I know about her.  My Turn's dam is a Kaboom out of the Ruby donor of Ohlrichs, which as I stated in my first post, is out of a SON of REALITY from Horsely's.  Reality goes back to basically Total Play and Angus.  The only Pursuit I'm aware of is on the dam side of the dam's sire....

Why didn't I have him parentally verified earlier???......I guess I choose to trust people and it never entered my mind......and no one ever asked us to.  I wonder just HOW MANY MORE cattle there are in every breed and the club calf industry that might, or already have hit the same snag.

Hope this clears things up for you DL.........

Cattle Fan

Brad thanks for going over that again and doing it with such a cordial (bite your tongue) response.  Not sure I could have been that polite.  I agree with many others on this board that you are going about this the right way and that's a breath of fresh air with some of the dishonest things that can go on in today's cattle industry.

knabe

bull pedigrees are a catch 22.

if they are purebred, it's nice to mandate they be genotyped for parentage.

for club calf, for me, i guess i don't care because to some extent, it's intellectual property.

it's clearly evident to me now, that it's pretty easy to see what's going on in pedigreed animals.

the composites, i have no clue whatsoever other than they are simply terminal animals.

it's pretty clear also that kroupa's know what they are doing, and can do it with volume where as most everyone else is selling a benchmark animal.

i guess i get a little annoyed with the benchmark animals a little, since they represent serendipity.  that's why i have the utmost respect for kroupa's.

DL

Cattle Fan said:
Brad thanks for going over that again and doing it with such a cordial (bite your tongue) response.  Not sure I could have been that polite.  I agree with many others on this board that you are going about this the right way and that's a breath of fresh air with some of the dishonest things that can go on in today's cattle industry.

I never said anything about Brad not doing things right - I just wanted the pedigree of the darn bull - geeze get your knickers out a knot - it was a simple question - the answer wasn't clear in the previous hundreds of posts - simple question that just got a simple answer (along with the usual knotted knicker comments)

Thanks Brad for the info and for posting what you now know about the bull - good question about how many others might hit a snag.....just wondered what your thinking was on parental verification....will you do it in the future to avoid another SNAFU?

jbh

DL said:
Cattle Fan said:

I never said anything about Brad not doing things right - I just wanted the pedigree of the darn bull - geeze get your knickers out a knot - it was a simple question - the answer wasn't clear in the previous hundreds of posts - simple question that just got a simple answer (along with the usual knotted knicker comments)

Thanks Brad for the info and for posting what you now know about the bull - good question about how many others might hit a snag.....just wondered what your thinking was on parental verification....will you do it in the future to avoid another SNAFU?

I'd just as soon RAISE the next one......it would be alot easier AND cheaper! (clapping)