name that tune

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

What song and what singer sang the song dealing with drinking whiskey in rye and driving his chevy to the levy?

DL

Telos said:
I forgot you asked for the name of the song. American Pie!

Oh Pooh! I knew that one but I was out spreading manure (this is what I try to do whenever the Sabres loose!)...why do you think he left his cake out in the rain?

red

cake in the park, McAurthur Park, Jimmie Webb first sang it, then Donna Summers took it disco.
Love Don McLean, one of my all time favorites!

Red

red

"Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
In the ruins of her ice water mansion
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams,
The islands and bays are for sportsmen."

DL, this one was for you!

Red

stick

I know, I know it!!!!!! But you said it's for dl. Oh man, I'm such a "wreck" over this one.

red

No, no- you can name it- it was more in honor of DL! Think you've already got it!!

Red

stick

OK, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,(sp?) by Gordon Lightfoot

aj

Back to american pie. The song was inspired about a plane crash in which 3 popular singers were killed in one swift blow.  Name the artists killed and also name the guy who gave up his seat on the plane at the last moment. He was a friend of willie.                                Next question.....Loreta Lynn had a sister who was pretty darn successful also, name her. (clapping)

stick

Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, JP Richardson(the Big Bopper) the guy who didn't fly was Waylon

DL

stick said:

OK stick - where was Gordon from, name 3 tunes, and who did he used to "hang" with before (I believe) the devil in the bottle go to him...nobody still has tole me what they left the cake out in the rain...

Telos

dragon lady said:
stick said:

OK stick - where was Gordon from, name 3 tunes, and who did he used to "hang" with before (I believe) the devil in the bottle go to him...nobody still has tole me what they left the cake out in the rain...

Someone left the cake out in the rain ... I don't think that I can take it, cause it took so long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again. Oh no!
I think this is about putting in a tremendous amount of effort and energy into something, maybe love, or perhaps something else and realizing the glory of it all did not last forever and knowing you probably can't duplicate this achievement again because your concerned you lost the original recipe. Heavy song DL, Very heavy song.

DL

Telos said:
dragon lady said:
stick said:

Someone left the cake out in the rain ... I don't think that I can take it, cause it took so long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again. Oh no!
I think this is about putting in a tremendous amount of effort and energy into something, maybe love, or perhaps something else and realizing the glory of it all did not last forever and knowing you probably can't duplicate this achievement again because your concerned you lost the original recipe. Heavy song DL, Very heavy song.

Telos - I can't tell you how comforting your answer was - I have waited years for a rational person to explain what that really mean and worrying about the soggy disgusting cake - an affront to good chef's everywhere!!

What was Ledbelly's real name???

steers4u

Born Huddie William Ledbetter, on Jeter Plantation in Mooringsport Louisiana, on January 29 1885 (though this date is disputed). Died of lateral sclerosis, in New York, on December 6, 1949. The nickname "Leadbelly" was acquired in prison and referred to his physical toughness.

YES i CAN GOOGLE!! O0

Telos

Steers4u, I did the same thing. Isn't it cool you can find all this info with the touch of your fingers. Leadbelly was definitey a legend worthy of researching.
His music was interesting, too.