Nasc

Elbee Leaders Gizmo
http://www.sekgenetics.com/bull_pg.php?bull=1431&breed=5
Vs
Jakes Proud Jazz
http://www.sekgenetics.com/bull_pg.php?bull=1444&breed=5

OH Breeder

We don't know enough at broad about JPJ. Gizmo is a time tested super bull. JMO

We love our Gizmo heifer. Stout as they come.

Attachments

• Lil Ferg 08.JPG
    Lil Ferg 08.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 555

ELBEE

justme said:
Where's Elbee?  Come on cheer for your boy! lol <party> <party>

Gizmo goes back to Leader 21st's grandsire and Deerpark Improver 3rd (whom Ohlde was instrumental in importing). Hummm, interesting circle! I've not put much effort into promoting Giz up to this point, why start now?    (pop)

TJ

Probably the 2 best "calving ease" bulls in the Shorthorn breed & both seem like the type that I like. 

aj

Both bulls are a step in the right direction. I suspect their daughters will make the most contributions. None of their calves will follow the mold of the 1800# super special shorthorn females and none of them will be national champs. But alot of times those moderate females are in demand. It all depends on the type of cattle cagwin wants to win. ;D

Nasc

Nice heifer OH Breeder.
It would be nice to see a few more photos of how these bulls calves look.

sjcattleco

aj said:
Both bulls are a step in the right direction. I suspect their daughters will make the most contributions. None of their calves will follow the mold of the 1800# super special shorthorn females and none of them will be national champs. But alot of times those moderate females are in demand. It all depends on the type of cattle cagwin wants to win. ;D

Gizmo is responsible for Gizmo's Image and American Muscle!!!  Producing superior sons is the hardest thing to do!!! Shoot my whole herd is based around Improver 3 and Gizmo

Davis Shorthorns

ouch hard to see one of these two great sires go down so early.  Personally I think that Gizmo is a proven bull while Jazz is still a little young.  Give it a year and then we will see what Jake has to offer.  Besides calving ease.  I am going to use both of these bulls next year in flushing my donor, and we will be having a Jazz bull coming in April.

DLD

Okay, this'll be my first attempt at posting pics here, so I'm crossing fingers that this works.  I thought this might be kind of interesting in this thread - this calf's a Gizmo out of a Jakes Proud Jazz daughter (first calf heifer).  He was just 12 days old in these pics (last spring) and has come along very nicely.  If these work and anybody's interested I'll try to get some more current ones up soon.

Attachments

• calf pics 001.jpg
    calf pics 001.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 604
  • calf pics 002.jpg
    calf pics 002.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 647

Telos

DLD- He's a chunk! I predict we will be seeing more of him. Hope he comes to Texas. Date of birth, please.

DLD

3/22, Telos.  He actually belongs to my youngest son Bryce, and he's pretty set on showing him.  I'm not real sure that I really want to feed Tulsa steers for him and his twin sister just yet, and everybody that comes through wants to buy him, but apparently money's not a huge object when you're 9...  There are a couple of Texas families wanting him, but I guess as of right now the plan is for him to stay here.

OH Breeder

DLD said:
3/22, Telos.  He actually belongs to my youngest son Bryce, and he's pretty set on showing him.  I'm not real sure that I really want to feed Tulsa steers for him and his twin sister just yet, and everybody that comes through wants to buy him, but apparently money's not a huge object when you're 9...  There are a couple of Texas families wanting him, but I guess as of right now the plan is for him to stay here.
WOW, great looker!
Nice calf. My favorite color. Good bone and nice hair.

shortyjock89

Davis Shorthorns said:
ouch hard to see one of these two great sires go down so early.  Personally I think that Gizmo is a proven bull while Jazz is still a little young.  Give it a year and then we will see what Jake has to offer.  Besides calving ease.  I am going to use both of these bulls next year in flushing my donor, and we will be having a Jazz bull coming in April.

I agree, and if JPJ had been one of the "hot" bulls when he was young, we would know a lot more about him.  Tough match up, I can't wait to see what we have in the Finals.

DLD

Thanks OH Breeder, I like your heifer alot too.  We held the mother of the above pictured calf open to flush and breed for fall calves - we'll be flushing for some full sibs to him in a few weeks...

Yeah, at 7, JPJ is hardly young, he just hasn't been promoted 'til recently.  I'm guessing JPJ's total semen sales may be comparable to Gizmo's right now, but he just hasn't been widely used long enough for his offspring to be in production everywhere yet.  Very tough decision for me as I really like both these bulls alot, and I see them as being fairly similiar in terms of what they have to offer.

sjcattleco

DLD said:
Okay, this'll be my first attempt at posting pics here, so I'm crossing fingers that this works.  I thought this might be kind of interesting in this thread - this calf's a Gizmo out of a Jakes Proud Jazz daughter (first calf heifer).  He was just 12 days old in these pics (last spring) and has come along very nicely.  If these work and anybody's interested I'll try to get some more current ones up soon.

WOW what a baby!!!! what is the dam side of the equation?

show some more recent pics.... especially if he is still a bull... I would be interested to know at what age does he start to show masculinity...

If his front wheels stay straight make darn sure you keep him as a bull!!! If they twist out too much steer him and have fun at some shows! 

justintime

maybe I am reading his pedigree wrong..... but.... can someone explain why Jake's Proud Jazz is registered as 100% ( purebred) when I can only get him to 7/8 and that is my giving him the benefit of the doubt on some of the  Maine bloodlines in his background?. I have heard a few times that he was turned down for registry 3 times by the ASA, and finally was given a registration  in the ASA when some new people came to the office.After hearing this a few times, I thought I would look him up myself and see what was in his background.  After doing so, I am left wondering if these rumours may indeed be fact. This may also explain why not much was heard of him until he was past 4 years old. Just wondering if someone else can "fill in the blanks".

Doc

justintime said:
maybe I am reading his pedigree wrong..... but.... can someone explain why Jake's Proud Jazz is registered as 100% ( purebred) when I can only get him to 7/8 and that is my giving him the benefit of the doubt on some of the  Maine bloodlines in his background?. I have heard a few times that he was turned down for registry 3 times by the ASA, and finally was given a registration  in the ASA when some new people came to the office.After hearing this a few times, I thought I would look him up myself and see what was in his background.  After doing so, I am left wondering if these rumours may indeed be fact. This may also explain why not much was heard of him until he was past 4 years old. Just wondering if someone else can "fill in the blanks".

JIT, gotta agree with you on not being 100%. The way I see it & per the pedigree, I see his dam Jakes Jazzy as being 7/8 th's & his sire Jake's Proud Leader as being 15/16(not 100% like they say) , which would definitely not make him 100%.