San Antonio Results

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

"We" don't like the judge at Ft Worth - who is a professor.  We say we want real cattlemen for judges.  Well good or bad we had a pretty well respected one that isn't part of the mainstream club calf world.  judging these things isn't easy and showing them sure isn't.

We had a steer that had beat a bunch of real good calves earlier this year.  We got the gate.  My son was crushed and so was I.  But you have to move on and try again.  I truly don't believe this guy was overtly political.  Eccentric - most definitely!

kobo_ranch

No I didn't see them... but did you think the grand/reserve were absolutely the best calves there?  It had nothing a
t all to do with him knowing the calf or those involved?  I'm not saying they weren't the right choices, and certainly not whining at all.  Those picks may have deserved it! 
Just saying in general that it makes it hard on the ones that aren't part of the 'club'  to even break in if they keep looking past some of the unknowns. 
You can't argue that there are those that win most of the time at the shows every year and it has nothing to do with who they are or how many green backs they put into it. 

mark tenenbaum

SmokesRule said:
isn't a HUGE characteristic of a gert the fact they are RED?  can you show a black angus in the red angus?  they are the same breed characteristics just different color. makes 0 sense to me.  im not trying to be complicated, i'm just trying to understand
When we gonna see a blue roan Gert? O0

JSchroeder

Yes, I think the grand was the best calf there, pretty easily.  I stood in awe of him before I even realized which calf it was.  I’ve heard some say they thought the AOB would have a shot and that he should have gotten reserve.  However, that wouldn't make people like you happy because the AOB calf was just as connected as the top two.

Of course, those people actually saw the calves.  They weren’t on this site questioning the integrity of a man based on nothing more than somebody who consistently wins winning with a steer that you haven’t even seen.

BTW, don’t claim you aren’t whining and then whine about some mythical club two sentences later.

mikey

My daughter placed sixth which was one out of the money in the light weight shorthorn class.maybe next year we can stick one in the sale.

kobo_ranch

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Of course, those people actually saw the calves.  They weren’t on this site questioning the integrity of a man based on nothing more than somebody who consistently wins winning with a steer that you haven’t even seen.

Sorry Jeff (or should I say Mr Schroeder)... didn't mean to hit a nerve, I'm sure you know tons more about it than I do.  Glad to hear you thought they were deserving of the win. 
We're just basic ranchers raising a few cattle, our son only has one more year left to show (after this one).
It's still interesting how the same names come up so often as winners... that's what I meant by the club... (politics) if that's what you call whining ok I'm a whiner!! :'(

jsscattle

Political or not, buy good ones, feed'm, show'm and try your best to be a good loser as well as a good winner??

For years I helped others with their kids and cattle, 1986-2002, during that time we never won a breed champ but put several in the sale.  San Antonio, 2nd maine, 1st brahman, 4th charolais, Houston, 2 - 1st charolais, 1st-chi, Ft Worth, 2 - 1st, 2 - 3rd(european), 1st Amer, several placing.  These are some that I can think of off the cuff.  I was able to travel and look at alot of cattle while seaching for this family their calves, some were more expensive than others.  Today with work to support my own family I can't get on the road and go search the way I did, therefore I purchase cattle closer to home, and not nearly as successful.  Not necessarily political but knowing people who raise and sell good ones and  having those contacts is a big help.  I feel certain that Bonham has picked up more than one good one that everyone else passed up.  There was a Charolais several years back that won Ft worth, I passed that steer up, shame on me, it happens.  Guys if you can't prove with facts politics was a factor leave it alone, these people have put in their time getting to the top however you see it.  Being able to come up with good cattle and being able to feed them to the end is a bigger factor than politics.  I have seen politics, in San Antonio no dought, watched a girl in 9th place move all the way up to Champion one year while the fitter was on the fence throwing a fit.  There was a girl in first that had a dang good steer, in fact a long time winner was sitting in front of me and had her picked to win the whole shabang til the 9th place moved all the way up to champion.  I think he had the wrong girl, thinking she would have a pretty good kind of steer.  Most of the time good ones win, you have to remember we are not the judge.  Good luck to everyone down the road.  Seems like a place for folks to vent.  I was not there, waiting for Houston, sounds like the guy wasn't well versed in reasons, some verbage that wasn't necessarily appropriate.  It was not one person telling me about the show, but looking on line at the photos looked like pretty good kind of cattle at the top.   

steerraiser

The 2 Charolais steers were the best 2 at the show. In the grand drive, the shackleford Charolais stuck out. Nothing could match his mass and power combined with a nice look. That calf should have won no matter who was holding the microphone.

knabe

kobo_ranch said:
Just saying in general that it makes it hard on the ones that aren't part of the 'club'  to even break in if they keep looking past some of the unknowns.  

don't the "in" crowd in general perform a more exhaustive search for calves?

the western bonanza that cal poly puts on had a few people that didn't show up because the people who win every time bought their female from the judge.  several people didn't show up for the maine show.  i think there was 8 in the high% slot, two were scratches, including the group that had the overall in another breed and had a good young one as well.

perhaps there should be more monetary emphasis on bred and owned?  still, you have to have a grand champion and bred and bought will be in the ring together and the bought will usually win.

still, some want to sell the winners as they probably make more money that way instead of showing themselves which costs an awful lot of money.

should we change this thread to a site that shut down?

kobo_ranch

While we're on the subject of repeat winners... I just wanted to ask because I'm not sure.  But have they passed a rule that the same kid (or family) can't win the Grand or Reserve at a major more than once?  I had a little gal that worked for me in the school work program (one of the best help I've ever had)  that showed goats and won either in Houston or SA and said she could only win Grand once.  Just wondered what the real rules on that are now?  Anyone know...

A.P.

I have read this thread for afew days now and now I have a response.

A bunch of you guys think if a family does well at numerous show its politics. Don't you guys think its possible that these families travel more miles looking for good cattle, buy the great ones when they see them(no matter the cost), and then when they get home do a better job than you raising them. That could be why they win so much.

Next, Iam going to praise Mcclintock a bit. Three families had two calves in the grand drive and one of those families had second behind the grand chi. I will bet those calves fed by each family were finished and handled similarly. Which to me shows some he had in is his mind how he wanted a calf to handle and that is one of the reasons those calves placed as well as they did. All three of those families aren't afraid to buy the great ones and do a great job getting them presented.

Lastly the simmi weighed 1440 so he couldn't get a peice of it.

DLD

Pretty sure that all the Texas majors have the rule that once an individual wins Grand in any of the market divisions, they are no longer eligible to show in the market division of that species.  I think the biggest reason for this is that the big money premium sale buyers want their money to go to a different kid each year, which seems reasonable enough to me.

As far as the big names go, it's kinda like Johnny Cash said (sang); "Winners keep on winnin', even losers win sometimes..."

Burnetaggie99

Some of those steers like the Champion Chi looked like cows. Ya he took the time to give everybody a look but he dosn't know how to judge market steers. He's more of a Heifer judge and it showed.

Steer4Caddy

This is great.  You can tell who got pulled and who didn't on this thread.  McClintock was wonderful.  I liked him being unique on the mic and his cattle were complete and sound with enough muscle and style.  You guys that can't see structure should continue to get buried until you can.  There will always be the same ratio of pleased and p'd off people as it relates to how many do and don't make the sale.

If you want to whine about politics, save it for next year when Tom Farrer judges Fort Worth.  Then you'll know politics.

knabe

Steer4Caddy said:
  There will always be the same ratio of pleased and p'd off people as it relates to how many do and don't make the sale.

the golden ratio strikes again.

blurytx

All I know about San Antonio is that I received a call on Tuesday from up north and was told who was going to win and what steer.  This guy was right on the money and he was 600 miles away.  Politics played a hugh part in the show.  You should never let a judge from Texas judge a Texas major, because politic an favorites will aways be in the way.

afhm

kobo_ranch said:
While we're on the subject of repeat winners... I just wanted to ask because I'm not sure.  But have they passed a rule that the same kid (or family) can't win the Grand or Reserve at a major more than once?  I had a little gal that worked for me in the school work program (one of the best help I've ever had)  that showed goats and won either in Houston or SA and said she could only win Grand once.  Just wondered what the real rules on that are now?  Anyone know...
In all market species shows at the Texas majors once you win Grand overall you can't compete at that major show in that species ever again.  You can compete in other species at that major until you win grand overall in them, you can compete in the breeding shows until you reach the junior show age limit regardless of how many times you win.

afhm

Steer4Caddy said:
This is great.  You can tell who got pulled and who didn't on this thread.  McClintock was wonderful.  I liked him being unique on the mic and his cattle were complete and sound with enough muscle and style.  You guys that can't see structure should continue to get buried until you can.  There will always be the same ratio of pleased and p'd off people as it relates to how many do and don't make the sale.

If you want to whine about politics, save it for next year when Tom Farrer judges Fort Worth.  Then you'll know politics.
When did it get decided that Farrer was doing Fort Worth?  Is that speculation or confirmed?