San Antonio Results

Help Support Steer Planet:

far side

This is concerning "sucks". I was at the show that mcclintock judged and yes he did say that a class sucked, but what he said after that was, that he thought there were 3 steers that he could justify starting the class with and hated to beat a couple of good steers. He even said that the 3 kids could tell their folks that they had a 1st place steer only that he couldn't do that, so they would be 1a,1b,1c, and then gave his reasons and didn't hammer on any of the 3 steers. He NEVER said that any kids steer "sucked"

far side

far side said:
This is concerning "sucks". I was at the show that mcclintock judged and yes he did say that a class sucked, but what he said after that was, that he thought there were 3 steers that he could justify starting the class with and hated to beat a couple of good steers. He even said that the 3 kids could tell their folks that they had a 1st place steer only that he couldn't do that, so they would be 1a,1b,1c, and then gave his reasons and didn't hammer on any of the 3 steers. He NEVER said that any kids steer "sucked"

aggiegal

I think the judge did a fairly good job.  Yes, we made the sale but also had one get the gate that had never placed less than 3rd all summer.  I think what I liked best about the judge  is every kid could go home and say they "showed" their calf.  Every calf in the class was looked at several times, felt, and fairly assessed.  You don't go to many shows anymore where that happens, especially not when class sizes are so big.  He was slow and yes he changed patterns as time progressed.  But, sometimes judges have to do that depending on the breed and what is presented.  We had the 3rd place heavy simi last year at SA and this year's steer was 2nd place behind the Champion Simi. 
All that being said, we are definitely just plain folk and not known by any judges or major cattle people.  We paid less than $1500 for both these steers, but were still able to feed and care for them to get them to the top.  Put a $600 AOB steer in the sale in Houston year before too.  It can be done, even if the judge doesn't know you.  I liked the judge and the steers that won.  There were definitely some good ones at the top, regardless of who showed them or sold them.  Hopefully, we'll get there (or close to it) some day with a lot of hard work! :)

cowboybecoachin

Aggiegal, your family is the kind we want to show our cattle!  It is obvious you worked hard and "built" you steer. We love guys that try to DO IT RIGHT!  Mike Christian-------Christian cattle Co.

DCC show cattle

Howdy guys this thread just made me join this site... To start off i congratulate all sale and champion cattle at san antonio its always a blessing to be rewarded for your hard work. After that I was highly insulted to have mark mcclintok judge san antonio this year I placed a steer that we went out and found in south texas and showed him in the light weight brangus class weighing at 1178 as he is just a january young but definately doesnt lack any quality. Im not saying we should have won the class or breed but we stood third in the class and im completely fine with that. Its the judges decision and I respect it but lost all respect for the dumba** whenever he got on the mic and stated "the calf i have here in second will be a good one in 90 days, now the calf here in 3rd is about a thick as you can make one he has a huge top, KILLER loin, a monstrous hip, and comes down to possibly the thickest quarter in the show! but today he is to good for me to use in this class" How can someone use reasons like this! I can post photos if there is any questions on this one. This calf isa Heatwave X Brangus cow and is 48" 1200 pounds full and is super ground pounding thick and super sound for the amount of muscle he has. We were champion abc steer at the state fair prospect show if anyone remembers watching that breed. Just venting and once again congrats to the exhibitors that made the sale. O and the reserve overall was originally bought from jacob tusa in his bid off sale for a large sum of money which i know the price and im not putting it on here by Brian Martin/ Bill Cody on of the two then wound up in Kacy Bland's hands who did a great job with him.

fed_champions

Ive seen plenty of arguments on this post, but in my opinion there were no politics involved. That Grand steer was a manchild and thats all there is to it, as for the guy who knew who was gonna win before the show started, ive been telling people that he would make a run at SA ever since i saw him back in november.

The AOB steer belonged to Bill Cody, who has as many political ties as anybody in the state, however his daughter was left standing in the champion drive (probably something to do with his hock being swollen worse than ive ever seen).

Now as for Shackelford, heres a man who has almost as many breed champions under his belt as a lot of the big name jocks. You cant argue that hes not doing something right, if my memory serves me correctly he has had something to do with 7 Grand or Reserve overalls since 2004. That averages as more than 1 a year, pretty impressive if you ask me. These 7 only apply to San Antonio, Houston, and Ft Worth, if you include Austin and San Angelo there are 2 more.

As for the person who was talking about Brandon Horn... I believe he is on the cutting edge of raising good ones, he is doing a great job, and Korky Wise did raise more than two Grands. He raised the GC Houston 04,07,, the GC SA06, the RGC SA 05

chambero

fed_champions said:
As for the person who was talking about Brandon Horn... I believe he is on the cutting edge of raising good ones, he is doing a great job, and Korky Wise did raise more than two Grands. He raised the GC Houston 04,07,, the GC SA06, the RGC SA 05

That was me that made that post, and I did uninentionally leave out Mimms.  Short story is that a whole bunch of real good calves are getting bred and raised in Texas.  Didn't used to be that way - at least not consistently - 10+ years ago. 

fed_champions

chambero said:
fed_champions said:

That was me that made that post, and I did uninentionally leave out Mimms.  Short story is that a whole bunch of real good calves are getting bred and raised in Texas.  Didn't used to be that way - at least not consistently - 10+ years ago. 

I agree, and i think that is because of the production sales being held nowadays, Exposure, Kris Blacks Female sale, etc. I know of several people who recently started breeding cattle that have been sold in these sales and they have had great success. ie. The RGC at houston this past year was bred by the showmans family and it was one of their first years to breed.

cotullaguy

chambero said:
Tusa is advertising it on his website and Bill Cody is in the photo.  I imagine that steer had a round about path to its final destination.

mp

I never heard McClintock say a calf sucked. I did hear him say the word sucks on the mic. It was in the middle weight Limmi class. If I remember right he said the 2 most powerfull and attractive calves are in the 4th and 5th holes and it's because they have structural imperfections and that really sucks, because if they were more correct they run away with the class. I thought he did a great job, didnt agree with everything he did, but Ive never agreed with everything any judge has done. Its a whole lot easier to critisize from the other sisde of the fence. As far as his reasons, I loved hearing something different other than the same old cookie cutter crap everybody else throws at you. You didnt have to wonder what he was really thinking because he told you! Very entertaining and very honest. As far as was it set up, and how did people know Shackleford was gonna win. Anybody who has paid attention to anything this year would have bet that he would have won. I mean did you see him, and he looked like that all freakin year, it was a pretty safe bet in my opinion. I was told that McClintock told the kid that was in the 3rd hole in the heavy charolais that he had a good one and on most days he wins the class, he just got behind 2 great ones. Never seen a judge sooo good with the kids. I would love to have him back. This is coming from somebody that had a 10th place ABC (10th doesnt make the sale). No sour grapes here!

DCC show cattle

Great with the kids?! Sir I was there and heard a little 10 year old child tell his father that the judge walked up to him while he stood in third waiting on cattle to weigh he told the young man that his steer was a good MF'er how is that any kind of good ethic while working with kids!!!

kobo_ranch

DCC show cattle said:
Great with the kids?! Sir I was there and heard a little 10 year old child tell his father that the judge walked up to him while he stood in third waiting on cattle to weigh he told the young man that his steer was a good MF'er how is that any kind of good ethic while working with kids!!!
My husband heard this same story about him saying this.  I've kinda come to the conclusion that he's probably just sorta of an old hippie type.  He still shouldn't be saying these kind of things to kids though.  I did appreciate his going thru all the calves... and guess the Grand and Reserve were deserving... (most of you seem to agree to that).  He still pulled some calves that shouldn't have been pulled or placed and let some get the gate that shouldn't have.  Guess that happens all the time at majors (depending on the judge)??  Just dissappointed us because this is the first major we've been back to in a long time.  (had nothing to do with us getting the gate)  Just expected better overall.

mp

He can tell my 9 year old she had a good MFer anytime! Was he professional? No probably not. Was he truthfull and entertaining? You bet!

DCC show cattle

Truthful and entertaining? probably so because i couldnt stop laughing at stuff he said! and that was laughs of discust the man insulted the beef industry by today's standards! Now 5 or 10 years ago i think he did a fantastic job but I will tell yall we will never send a calf back to san antonio after the two past years of judges and thats after the fact that we had a lightweight class champion brangus and 3rd lightweight brangus back to back i dont mind judges placing and such but give us respectable reasoning on why. Im not even entirely talking about our cattle, im talking of the over 50% that they let walk the rail and get the gate that never got pulled that in my opinion and by consistency of industry should have had a shot a possibly winning the class, especially after a judge talks about structure, style, and market ability, then comes back with a cow? and even calls them cows on the PA system! Im done being on my soap box. Congrats again to the people that made the sale and to everyone that never got off the rail keep your head up because the next judge will be completely different! I am personally ready for houston and daniels to sort a set and let yall see the difference between mcclintok and him and see what yall really think of mcclintok. But i do agree its his opinions just i dont agree with his actions.