The craziest thing you have seen at a cattle show

Help Support Steer Planet:

The Show

Show stopper 95 said:
some of the 'Pretty' people in Texas. No Names but the texas folks will agree with me  (lol) its the funniest and most bizzare thing ever. i would describe in detail but i thank its best i dont.
You'd think he's never been to a calf show in his life, but all BS aside he's one of the best judges out there.

Show Heifer

At a national show.... saw an exhibitor throw the ribbon down, throw the show stick and stomp out of the ring before being released because his bull didn't win.  Not sure if that is crazy or pathetic.

Also have seen many things that would explain some of the bull names after cattle are at tie outs, stalls cleaned and "the other half" is headed back home to do chores..... again, not sure if that is crazy or pathetic.

knabe

Show Heifer said:
At a national show.... saw an exhibitor throw the ribbon down, throw the show stick and stomp out of the ring before being released because his bull didn't win.  Not sure if that is crazy or pathetic.

Also have seen many things that would explain some of the bull names after cattle are at tie outs, stalls cleaned and "the other half" is headed back home to do chores..... again, not sure if that is crazy or pathetic.

that's what i'm gonna do first time back.

mashowcattle

I was at a breed show one time in Miami Florida and there was a pretty big lake behind the barn, well this man was walking his bull around out behind the barn and im not sure what spooked him but the next thing i know the bull takes off running and is in the middle of the lake. and im not talking about just a pond where you can stand up in, it was a big lake. the people had to go in after him. i was sure someone was going to get hurt but when it was all over and done with it was pretty funny.

sjcattleco

The only thing I can think to mention was back in about 1984-85?? The forerunner to the Ohio Beef Expo was the Ohio Preview Show of Champions... It was a 2 day deal and a bunch of us were bound and determined we were going to make the trip to Columbus and take our steers. Well It had been decent  mid March weather fairly warm and dry.  So we all made plans to sleep in the Dairy Barn. CARHARTS ... Lounge chairs.... Straw.... Sleeping Bags.. and we were ready.

So on the way up it starts to snow. Being 15-16 yrs old we thought ehhhhh its nothin!  Then it kept snowing and we still thought ehhhh its just a little snow. AND we weren't the only ones staying there were about 20-25 boys in the barn. So we all settle in about 10:00 pm and now it is getting colder by the minute.  At about 2:30 am I wake up because I am just about to freeze! and when I get a grasp at what I am looking at I could not believe it! Everything in the barn looked like it was smoking. All the cattle had steam coming off of them. Every kid was buried in his sleeping bag and steam was rolling out from the opening. One of the younger kids that was with us had woken me up because they were cold and had to pee. So we went to the rest room and low and behold it was 60 degrees in there.. So we went  woke every one up and all us kids moved into the restroom showers actually,  for the rest of the night.. We were sleeping so good that it was 7:30 when finally a somewhat up set mother found us all in there.  Come to find out it was a freak storm that no one predicted and it had gotten to -10F that night.

Bradenh

The Show said:
Show stopper 95 said:
some of the 'Pretty' people in Texas. No Names but the texas folks will agree with me  (lol) its the funniest and most bizzare thing ever. i would describe in detail but i thank its best i dont.
You'd think he's never been to a calf show in his life, but all BS aside he's one of the best judges out there.
very very true and he KNOWs his cattle and all other animals. but it is still always a sight that makes your day

snoit

i was at a state fair and a bull got loose. Lucky or unlucky for me i was able to grab the leadrope the fairgrounds are paved and with my boots on it looked more like i was skiing more than anything else. We came around the corner and there was one of those big blow up dominios guy that are about 20 feet tall . He didnt slow down and we took it out. I was afraid he would hurt some one so i would not let go. We did alot more damage and ended up in a bathroom under a set of bleachers. They went and got a trailer and loaded it up right there. The bull led right in with no problem.

chambero

Some of you long time Texas showmen might remember this one.  A white Brahman heifer lost her mind at the Fall Classic, probably around 1992 or somewhere - back when the show was in Austin in the "new" arena - where the Austin Ice Bats played.  They had covered the ice with their subfloor and put dirt on it - standard for anyplace used for hockey.  But the players boxes were cheapies - they just had standard folding chairs.  Someone in their infinite wisdom decided the boxes needed to be hidden, so they covered them with black plastic sheeting.  For those that haven't been there, this arena is actually below ground - you enter at ground level and stairs go down to the seats and arena floor.

They had two rings going - Angus (which we were in) on one side and Brahmans on the other.  A Brahman heifer gets away from a little girl.  No big deal.  But she sees daylight up at the top of the stairs and decides she wants to leave the premesis.  The players box - with black plastic over it - looked like solid ground to her so she jumps up in the middle of it.  And out she comes and heads up the stairs wearing a folding chair on each back leg.  Imagine the noise of her heading up concrete steps with chairs banging off stuff on each leg.  I'm serious - every Brahman heifer in the arena makes a break for the back alley of the arena in perfect synchronization.  There were kids flying everywhere.  I remember one heifer was tied to a trim chute and she took that chute out the back of the arena with her.  I don't remember anyone being hurt, but I have no idea if they ever caught that heifer with her legs stuck through the folding chairs.

Cardinal_Crest_Shorthorns

About three years ago we were at a county fair in Marion County, Kentucky. We arrived the night before the show and were going to leave the cattle in the barn. The stalls were set up in pens kind of like a stock yards or sale type set up. So we put the calves in one of the pens and took their halters off so they could move around and then we latched and even tied the gates shut to make sure they were secure. The next morning my dad got up early and left the motel to go on over to the fairgrounds and feed. about twenty minutes after he  left he called me back at the motel and said that the calves were gone and every one who had arrived at the grounds that morning said they hadn't seen them. The fair grounds was surround by about a ten acre grass lot that was then fenced with chain link. there was only one exit that was about a fifty foot alley to the main gate and it was all gravel. we talked to the local Ag agent and he and several others started helping us look for the cattle. the fair grounds was also fairly close to town so the Ag agent called the police just to let them know there were some calves lose in the area and asked them to assist us in the search. about an hour and a half later we found them in a dirt lot where construction was going on about a mile or a little more from the fair grounds. They were calm and we managed to herd them back to the grounds but their knees were all skinned from being sliding across black top during the night and they were pretty stressed out. I think that some kids from the midway must have decided it would be fun to chase them off because the rope on the gate appeared cut not torn and the calves would not have left all the grass to walk down a gravel drive. The police never showed up to help so the Ag agent called them back and told them to continue on with their donuts, that we had found the calves. It is never a good feeling when you think you have lost your entire show string about a month prior to the state fair.

flacowman

This wasn't at a show but cardinal crest shorthorns reminded me of it.  my senior year steer would always get out of his pen and go to the pasture with the purebred herd the morning before we left for a show.  He never got out except for travel mornings and always tanked up on grass so his manure was nice and sticky at the show.

But my girlfriend always, and I mean always, rode her steers into the showmanship and sale rings.

okshowmom

Not a catte show but a sheep show yesterday. I'm sure the majority of show parents have stood on outside of ring "coaching the kids with a variety of hand signals and arm movements. My best friend had been coaching her son all day and during rthe last class her 4 y\o daughter was standing in front of use along the fence and the next thing we know she is yelling Bubba and moving he hands and arms around just like mom!! Mom was completely embarrassed but it was a great laugh for all!

sgetz007

A couple years ago I had a cow/calf pair that I took to our state fair.  The calf took the trip hard and got sick on us.  She was pretty "loose" at the time and was coughing on and off.  A girl came walking through the aisle; sunglasses, short shorts, and flip flops.  She was holding her nose and bouncing around trying not to step in anything suspicious. At the perfect time the calf coughed and projected some fresh diarrhea that nailed her from mid-thigh down. She screamed and ran away(probably to never return to the barns).

Ohioteerchick

My first year with a market steer, I had a nice calf. Well, it came show time, and I finished second in my class. I was excited, my first year, second place wasn't that bad. When I was walking out of the arena, and the judge was saying his last thoughts on my steer, the entire arena was quiet, and the judge said "This was an excelent calf, and would have placed first in this class, only if it had more hair" well, quite arena, and my ticked off dad didn't mix. Out of the silence, my dad yells "What!? You can't eat the damn hair!"

WBar Farms

Ohiosteerchick said:
My first year with a market steer, I had a nice calf. Well, it came show time, and I finished second in my class. I was excited, my first year, second place wasn't that bad. When I was walking out of the arena, and the judge was saying his last thoughts on my steer, the entire arena was quiet, and the judge said "This was an excelent calf, and would have placed first in this class, only if it had more hair" well, quite arena, and my ticked off dad didn't mix. Out of the silence, my dad yells "What!? You can't eat the damn hair!"

Haha nice!

fed_champions

bruiser said:
Saw a tandem Mack  dump truck pulling a 16 ft. bumper hitch last summer!!!
[/quote

On this subject, we put on a show in brenham, and had a flatbed truck pull up with a 2 year old brahman heifer on the back tied to the headache rack. I thought we stopped doing that when they invented trailers.

nosejob8807

this isnt really crazy.. but frickin hilarious.. and kinda crazy it happened haha but it goes with what sgetz007 said.. this was about my sophomore (05) year of high school and we were at houston showing heifers, me and my mom had gone up and down the aisles of heifers and i was in front walking.. as i was walking i guess this big heifer had scours reallllly bad and as i was walking i didnt notice it but this heifer had stood up and coughed (really hard i assume) and my mom was walking by.. as she was walking this heifer had scoured alllllll over my moms side.. from her arms down to her feet.. i was on the ground laughing so hard and so were the kids that saw it, but they were kind enough to hand her some baby wipes, i was crying it was sooooo funny. she now doesnt walk up and down the aisles or behind anything. too bad i didnt have a camera at the time..

COWgirls

Craziest thing we've experienced...

At the state show a couple of years ago, the cattle were tied along the outer walls inside the barn and everyone had thier chutes, showboxes, etc. down the center isle.  A mother who was working hard to have her county win the herdsman award used their blower to keep their area clean.  Not once, not twice, but about a million times she blew their dust, shavings, hair, and trash toward the center isle into everybody else's showboxes, tables, sitting areas...  Talk about some unhappy neighbors!  My husband bit his tongue longer than I ever imagined possible, but then finally asked her to "please don't blow your trash on everyone else".  She asked him what she was supposed to do with it and he said "GET A BROOM AND SWEEP IT UP LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE IS DOING."  (lol)  The girls and I are cracking up just trying to share this with you all.  Ahhh... memories!

Latest posts