Who raised this shorthornplus...?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

outspoken said:
to the best of my knowledge, it was a 'fitting and showmanship clinic organization' 'to give back'....  But mainly a clothing line..;

I'll say that Dave Guyer came down to TN to our state Shorthorn Field Day to put on a Stock Show Univ., back in May. It was a pretty neat deal, they came down on their dime , gave away prizes and I say kudos to them. They did the same thing at the TN Beef Agribition. 

iowabeef

shortdawg said:
Really folks ............???????????? The Sullivans are great to deal with. If I had a question or needed to know anything about the cattle I've bought from John or whatever I can just call or text him and he will help any way he can, always has. One of the most down to earth people that I have ever met in the business. The Stock Show University Clinics are put on all over the US to help kids, adults, or whoever wants to come learn all they could possibly want to know about fitting. grooming, and most anything else one may need help with. IT IS A GOOD THING ! These "chore boys/girls" that you mention are some fine people that will help you any way they can at most any show the are at all at the Sullivans expense ...... one of the pluses of buying from them. The 0904 female that has been mentioned is one fine beast and whoever bought her, sold her, or whatever is beside the point.......she came from Sullivan genetics. Just my opinion ......

Best post of the summer!  This thread has become a real "wine fest" ....the Sullivans have done a lot for the industry and promoting young people getting involved and showing. Stock Show University is all about teaching young future cattle people.  MORE POWER TO THEM.  

twistedhshowstock

The original post in this was a legit question.  Someone asking who bred or raised a certain individual is legit, but when people told you who did it and then everyone immediately starts bashing them or trying to make the whole deal into some sort of ponzy scheme.  Thats the biggest problem with our industry if you ask me.  Not TH, PHA, the other deffects, cheating, high prices, or any of that.  The biggest problem is the people that are constantly starting RUMORS.  I dont have the inside scoop, I dont know how the money exchanged hands or what.  But not having the inside scoop, I am not going to immediately start dreaming up all the scenarios that would make this wrong.  I am going to just accept that it happened the way they say it did.  They sold the heifer, from what I understand at a very young age, knowing she was going to be put in that sale, by the time the sale rolled around they really liked the heifer  and wanted her in their show string.  So just like everyone else that wanted the heifer in their show string, they bid on her in the sale.  They were willing to bid the highest, so the heifer went back to their barn.  Simple as that, and there is absolutely nothing wrong about that.  So why do you all have to spread rumors or worse yet, start rumors, to make it some horrible, underhanded deal?  Did any of you at any point own the heifer? Was the heifer at any point robbed from you?  I think its fairly safe that regardless of how the transaction took place, none of you were involved with it.  You never owned any portion of the heifer, you arent entitled to any money or any claim to fame.  Therefor, it absolutely does not affect you.  No matter how many ways you try to spin it, or how many other things you bring up.  There is absolutely no way that any of you can justify anyway to need to know the details of this transaction.  Frankly its none of your business how it happened.
You know we expect rumors to start in high school, its just something teenagers do.  Its gonna happen, but I think its a crying shame that many of you on here doing it are adults, and I am not saying just reached adulthood.  Some of you are 40, 50 yrs old or older.  And not only are you spreading a bunch of hear say, but many of you are making up the hear say.  I just think its sad, because many of you are at an age where you should  know better than to spread things that there are no proof of.  It's one thing to ask about the validity of something you  heard, but another altogether to spread something as truth that there is no evidence towards.
You know the whole idea behind that projects that we get these children and youth involved in is not just to teach them about livestock, but to teach them life lessons, teach them character.  What do we expect them to learn when they see adults acting this way?

iowabeef

-XBAR- said:
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

I would say that there are bigger injustices in the world to worry about than this situation....but I will say this makes entertaining reading...

mick rems

aj said:
Stockshow university.......wow.......I'm not sure I even want to know what that is. I assume it is a marketing ploy of some kind? Who was the family that sull used to do th epd scam with?
stockshow university does a bunch of clipping and fitting clinics, they also have merchandise and apparel,  as part of sullivans show supply, it basically replaced kirk steirwalt since he switched to weaver

kfacres

here's a little teaser for Justin Olson... 

These just happen to be the only two calves I've got at my place in Northern IL currently.  The roan heifer- is a pedigree you'll recognize-- she's a Dr. Feelgood (Wildside son) x Visionary (full brother to your Perfect Timing).  She's born in Sept- never had creep, weaned in late March when I brought her up here- fed her 3# a day; of basically the AAOK ration for 45 days- and kicked out to grass since.  The white heifer- is sired by a Candyman/ Cunia bull- and from a Barnburner/ Maine cow-- although born in July-- she's basically only been fed for that same 45 day period. 

No, nothing to brag about for a couple of grassfed calves-- but pieces to the puzzle to offer a sneek peak of what's going on around here. 

Attachments

• 1181 Cold Candy.JPG
    1181 Cold Candy.JPG
    856 KB · Views: 6
  • Susie Que.JPG
    Susie Que.JPG
    979.3 KB · Views: 5

Bradenh

Jody glad to see you arent posting pictures of lambs or your world class milking shorthorns--- the pics look like cows to me  ;D nothing like the picture on Olsons profile- may have joined a pissin match you cant win

shortyjock89

That heifer is an Ace of diamonds x fortune, so she's fairly outcross to most of the stuff winning right now too.

kfacres

Show stopper 95 said:
Jody glad to see you arent posting pictures of lambs or your world class milking shorthorns--- the pics look like cows to me  ;D nothing like the picture on Olsons profile- may have joined a pissin match you cant win

O, you mean the CYT heifer that he didn't raise???  Anyone can buy anything- especially when your chore boy for that outfit... Justin, do you even own that heifer?

Furthermore, anyone can do anything with 4 inches of hair on a show feed ration heifer--- what's she going to look like when she's out on grass-- or better yet-- growing on grass? 

Real world- Shorthorns...

shortyjock89

Do you want to see the copy of the check? You better watch to whom you level those kinds of allegations.

Jody, you can show up to my dads place any old time of You want to see just how bad my former show heifers look on grass.  You'll be sorely disappointed I fear.

Doc

outspoken said:
Show stopper 95 said:

O, you mean the CYT heifer that he didn't raise???  Anyone can buy anything- especially when your chore boy for that outfit... Justin, do you even own that heifer?

Furthermore, anyone can do anything with 4 inches of hair on a show feed ration heifer--- what's she going to look like when she's out on grass-- or better yet-- growing on grass? 

Real world- Shorthorns...

Jody, I have never seen anybody call more people liars and crooks than you . Are you so insecure and jealous , that if someone succeeds you automatically think they had to do it dishonestly? Give it a break , why don't you.

shortyjock89

Furthermore, just because i know how to care for and feed one does not mean that my cattle are inferior. Just because they may have a certain prefix does not mean they will be poor cows. And just because nobody has heard of a few of the animals you use to breed does not necessarily make them any more viable an outcross to popular bloodless, and does not guarantee them genetic or phenotypic superiority.

kfacres

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
That heifer is an Ace of diamonds x fortune, so she's fairly outcross to most of the stuff winning right now too.

I didn't know that a AoD/ Improver 57/ T90/ Trump/ Rodeo Drive-- was 'fairly outcross' to anything- let alone what's winning.  Fortune is a Improver 57/ T90--- isn't that virtually every pedigree of the sire of every show winner at Louisville?

Just what does 'outcross' really mean?  Does it mean different for 3 generations- 5?  Completely different on the reg paper, but the same ole same ole off of it?  Completely different throughout?  Does it mean just use genetics from 30 years ago? 

The only way to get outcross I guess- is crossbreed. 

foil

To the point of the OP, this kind of stuff happens all the time.  Whether it was on the up and up or a shady deal, how would anyone be able to prove it one way or the other.  As many have said, how does it affect your marketing of your product?  Most that b**** and complain on here about Sully, really don't have a thing to do with his business and those types of cattle.  Let SULL, CF, CYT, and the rest trade banners, and if the rest of the Shorthorn breeders would just create stock that makes money for you, your neighbors/customers instead of trying to chase the aformentioned group's type of cattle, that would be a step in the right direction.

To the sideshow that has hijacked this thread, Justin, can someone come to Hoopston tomorrow(or are you showing her at the state preview show?) to see the Crystaleen heifer?  Jody, you stole my thunder on Justin's perception of outcross.  It seems the idea of outcross is thrown out there when something needs to be sold, especially something sold to someone that buys based on salesmanship rather than intuition.

kfacres

foil said:
To the point of the OP, this kind of stuff happens all the time.  Whether it was on the up and up or a shady deal, how would anyone be able to prove it one way or the other.  As many have said, how does it affect your marketing of your product?  Most that b**** and complain on here about Sully, really don't have a thing to do with his business and those types of cattle.  Let SULL, CF, CYT, and the rest trade banners, and if the rest of the Shorthorn breeders would just create stock that makes money for you, your neighbors/customers instead of trying to chase the aformentioned group's type of cattle, that would be a step in the right direction.

To the sideshow that has hijacked this thread, Justin, can someone come to Hoopston tomorrow(or are you showing her at the state preview show?) to see the Crystaleen heifer?  Jody, you stole my thunder on Justin's perception of outcross.  It seems the idea of outcross is thrown out there when something needs to be sold, especially something sold to someone that buys based on salesmanship rather than intuition.

who the hell are you--- I think I'm in LOVE (dog) (angel) (angel)

shortyjock89

outspoken said:

I didn't know that a AoD/ Improver 57/ T90/ Trump/ Rodeo Drive-- was 'fairly outcross' to anything- let alone what's winning.  Fortune is a Improver 57/ T90--- isn't that virtually every pedigree of the sire of every show winner at Louisville?

Just what does 'outcross' really mean?  Does it mean different for 3 generations- 5?  Completely different on the reg paper, but the same ole same ole off of it?  Completely different throughout?  Does it mean just use genetics from 30 years ago? 

Haters. Gonna. Hate. For real though, I've had it with this site. For a while again. If anyone cares to talk to me, pm me or you probably have my number. This place is a joke anymore with all the hate of success and shorthorns that aren't obscure, irrelevant animals.

Bradenh

score for Jody, way to do your part on killing a forum, now Jeff schroeder can take the picture of your red bull and label it as the "most hated calf on the planet" as opposed to the roan one you used ot hide behind... first you want to stir a pot with the original intent of the topic. it fails, then you call out a well respected member by saying you have better cattle (when everyone knows youve never accomplished anything in the cattle business) that fails... so then you get your buddies lined up to form yet another attack on the patience of steerplanets finest..... the exact reason you have the bad reputation that you do... kudos though, it takes a special, ignorant person to be as much of a dick as you are

outspoken said:
foil said:

To the sideshow that has hijacked this thread, Justin, can someone come to Hoopston tomorrow(or are you showing her at the state preview show?) to see the Crystaleen heifer?  Jody, you stole my thunder on Justin's perception of outcross.  It seems the idea of outcross is thrown out there when something needs to be sold, especially something sold to someone that buys based on salesmanship rather tha
outspoken said:

Haters. Gonna. Hate. For real though, I've had it with this site. For a while again. If anyone cares to talk to me, pm me or you probably have my number. This place is a joke anymore with all the hate of success and shorthorns that aren't obscure, irrelevant animals.

jody, once again you are sucessful in pissing every person on this site off

shortyjock89

Foil, somebody can come to clarion Iowa (where I am) to see her. She's not been in a cooler, and I have been the only one caring for her since October 7th 2011.  We have several other cattle in hoopeston available for viewing.

My perception of outcross, in this situation, is the trump on trump that Jody has talked about. I feel that my cattle are just as outcross as his based on that.

Latest posts