Most Hated Job On The Farm...

Help Support Steer Planet:

tadpole

I thought this would be kind of fun.  What is everyone's job on the farm that they hate the most, either dealing with cattle or just on the farm in general.

Mine would have to be putting cidr's in cows.  I dont mind breeding and heat detecting and all that but I absolutely HATE putting cidr's in cows.  The cows dont want to cooperate and I usually end up covered in crap from the chest down haha.

Squeek

Cleaning out grain bins in July or August. If you've never done it and you get the chance, run as fast as you can in the other direction.

simtal

processing young calves (2-3 months old). most places don't that early but if you've ever tried....

putting up straw is the worst, IMO!  too dusty.

aj

Squeek....I think you are on to something. Nothing like going into a hot metal building in 100 degree temperatures. Especially if there is a man walk on the inside and you are about 5 foot from the roof. It is probably 150 degrees in that scenario. Im with you.

Davis Shorthorns

My least favorite thing to do is TRY to breed heifers.  It seems that I can get about half, and the other half I cant even reach the cervix.  (God didn't bless me with palpating arms.) 

oakview

I know it shows my age, but my most hated farm jobs were walking beans and picking up rocks.  The most difficult job was always plowing or cultivating after a big lunch.  You just try staying awake!  Cleaning out the chicken house with a pitchfork wasn't a lot of fun either.

inthebarnagain

Currently mine is killing rats.  The neighbor was a pig and used to let his grain bins overflow when he filled them and didn't clean them up.  He sold them so guess where the rats went, that is right, MY BARN!!

Any good suggestions?  We could shoot them if we had a pellet gun, the BB gun just knocks them over and they run off.  We poisoned them Saturday and have found 6 dead, now it stinks in the barn, which is great when it is 90 out.  I need better poison apparently, anyone know of a good one?

shortyjock89

Putting up square straw and alfalfa, picking up rocks, cleaning out the ONE pen on the farm that can only be cleaned with a pitchfork, finishing off grain bins in the summer.....pretty much what people have said.  I also don't like power-washing out the cattle trailer after hauling recips.  Ridiculously hot AND stinky.

GoWyo

Fixing 50 year old equipment each time before I use it.  Spend 2 hours fixing for a 15 minute job.  Some of it should be recycled -- balance of time versus money.

RSC

Several that hit the list as a kid!

Cleaning out a grain bin, corn is bad enough but if you've ever cleaned out a Milo bin it's the worst!
Power Washing the Farrowing House! This job was always the $----!
Squarebaling Hay or Straw!  Uper 90's outside and stuck stacking in the Hayloft!
Walking Beans!  They developed Roundup Ready beans a couple Decades to late, IMO!
Laying out irrigation pipe!  Daily moving a tow-line irrigation system a job we disliked as a kid but friends that came over thought it was the coolest!
Sorting Fathogs in old facilities!  Learned most of my swearwords from this job!  This was not what we refered to as Family Bonding!  (clapping)
Butchering Chickens!  We used raise a couple hundred broilers every Summer!  A job we hated and to top it all off once we were plucking them in the basement we had to go through extended torcher as Mom would always play her Polka Music!

The Nice thing about the hot jobs like Walking Beans, Laying out Pipe or Bailing Hay, We live right by the Platte River with a cabin that has a Spring Fed creek that dumps into the River!  A cool refreshing Dip after was always the Best!  <party>

Tony

farmboy

inthebarnagain said:
Currently mine is killing rats.  The neighbor was a pig and used to let his grain bins overflow when he filled them and didn't clean them up.  He sold them so guess where the rats went, that is right, MY BARN!!

Any good suggestions?  We could shoot them if we had a pellet gun, the BB gun just knocks them over and they run off.  We poisoned them Saturday and have found 6 dead, now it stinks in the barn, which is great when it is 90 out.  I need better poison apparently, anyone know of a good one?

get some cats or a rat terrier

herefordfootball

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Putting up square straw and alfalfa, picking up rocks, cleaning out the ONE pen on the farm that can only be cleaned with a pitchfork, finishing off grain bins in the summer.....pretty much what people have said.  I also don't like power-washing out the cattle trailer after hauling recips.  Ridiculously hot AND stinky.

Ahhh!!! HaHa!!! I was a rock picker upper about four years back in July. 20 acre uncut pasture(soon to be hay field) Three guys with crowbars and a guy driving opencab tractor with trailer to chuck the rocks in. 98 degrees and 70% humidity. My dad said it would build character.... Ha!!! What a bunch of crap!!!! The only thing it built was a bad back and the worst possibly sunburn. Ya character... ::) All of our barns(only two) are pitchfork barns. But thats definitely easier than the rock days!!!  ;)

FutureBreeder2013

when i worked at the dairy one of my least favorite jobs was walking the rows of calf huts looking for sick, dead, or dying calves. that takes a mental toll on a young kid. also cleaning the old silage out of the bunks.

that dairy job wasnt worth its .75 per hour at ALL.

Dusty

inthebarnagain said:

Get 50 cats and don't buy cat food....

Dusty

One job i hate is mowing the yard.  It is the most pointless no money making unproductive thing you can do!  A week later it looks like hell again....EHHH

herefordfootball

Dusty said:
inthebarnagain said:

Get 50 cats and don't buy cat food....

(lol) We've got 18,000 bushels worth of grain storage, two barns with 11 cows total, feed storage(about 3000 lbs.) and hay. Got 6 cats and no rats!!!! Oh yeah and a puggle pup that thinks he's pretty tough.  ;) Only probaly with cats it you get tomcats, tomcats lead to kittens and then they're reproducing like rabbits!!!