Most Hated Job On The Farm...

Help Support Steer Planet:

cattlepimp

Shoveling out corrugates, cleaning out concrete ditches....anything involving a shovel! And my favorite.....PULLING CALVES AT ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT

braunvieh

I really hate cleaning out grain bins and it seems I am now the "best" at it!! Ha. The other thing I hate is when a familly member goes on vacation and their cows get out while they are gone! It happens to me on a regular basis. I also hate setting up everything to work cattle in a pasture. Chute, portable corrals, trailers, 3 trucks, getting helpers, etc. If I could just show up and work the cattle and avoid all the work it takes to get ready to work, I would be a happy camper!  Good post!

Dusty

herefordfootball said:
Dusty said:
inthebarnagain said:
Currently mine is killing rats.  The neighbor was a pig and used to let his grain bins overflow when he filled them and didn't clean them up.  He sold them so guess where the rats went, that is right, MY BARN!!

Any good suggestions?  We could shoot them if we had a pellet gun, the BB gun just knocks them over and they run off.  We poisoned them Saturday and have found 6 dead, now it stinks in the barn, which is great when it is 90 out.  I need better poison apparently, anyone know of a good one?

Get 50 cats and don't buy cat food....

(lol) We've got 18,000 bushels worth of grain storage, two barns with 11 cows total, feed storage(about 3000 lbs.) and hay. Got 6 cats and no rats!!!! Oh yeah and a puggle pup that thinks he's pretty tough.  ;) Only probaly with cats it you get tomcats, tomcats lead to kittens and then they're reproducing like rabbits!!!

They will reproduce, but the population will even itself out.  The ones that can't hunt will go away...

herefordfootball

Yeah the coyotes make the not so smart cats go away.  ;) No, but you'd be suprised the demand for good mousers around here. Hard to believe, but everybody loves havin' em around to get rid of mice and rats.

OH Breeder

this may sound corny, but there isn't much I hate about he farm. My coworkers tease me all the time because I said if I won the lottery I would only do farming. If I had to complain about one thing it would be:
As a kid we had an old dairy guy. He would higher kids to bale for him. First he had a kick baler and his kids never worked the hay mow they would unload. So you always got stuck in the hot can't breath hay mow. He would rent any space he could to put hay in. Sometimes you were throwing bales up and crawling around to get it all put up. You got 2.00 an hour. You started sun up and he would salt the hay if it was damp or wet. You got a half an hour for lunch which was usually bologna sandwhiches and lemonade unpaid.( for those of you who have seen Napoleon Dynamite remember the chciken house and lunch) Yeah it built character LOL but it was hell. We would pray for rain.

my grandfather had a farrow to finish operation. Hated castrating pigs all day and pumping pits. Might as well throw away your clothes after a day of cleaning pits.

Some of my favorite things; gathering eggs and feeding chickens. Baby calves. walking fence and moving cows to new pasture. Cleaning barns. Use to get a cup of coffee in the morning and sit on 5 gallon bucket feed chickens and watch cows eat after putting hay down. Nothing beats that quiet time of the day.

Jill

RSC said:
Several that hit the list as a kid!

Cleaning out a grain bin, corn is bad enough but if you've ever cleaned out a Milo bin it's the worst!
Power Washing the Farrowing House! This job was always the $----!
Squarebaling Hay or Straw!  Up er 90's outside and stuck stacking in the Hayloft!
Walking Beans!  They developed Roundup Ready beans a couple Decades to late, IMO!
Laying out irrigation pipe!  Daily moving a tow-line irrigation system a job we disliked as a kid but friends that came over thought it was the coolest!
Sorting Fathogs in old facilities!  Learned most of my swearwords from this job!  This was not what we refered to as Family Bonding!  (clapping)
Butchering Chickens!  We used raise a couple hundred broilers every Summer!  A job we hated and to top it all off once we were plucking them in the basement we had to go through extended torcher as Mom would always play her Polka Music!

The Nice thing about the hot jobs like Walking Beans, Laying out Pipe or Bailing Hay, We live right by the Platte River with a cabin that has a Spring Fed creek that dumps into the River!  A cool refreshing Dip after was always the Best!  <party>

Tony

I'm thinking we have really similar lives-but how could you possibly think Polka Music is torcher (clapping)

tlcattle

cleaning stalls in floridas wet season. it never stops.
and raking hay. too dusty. gives me a headache lol

chambero

Shady Lane said:
I'd have to think that the worst job on the farm would have to be the Gomer...

There's one worse than being a gomer.  It's being the steers at the AI studs that get jumped.  They look so ashamed.  I suspect they'd rather be eaten.  At least the gomer gets to pretend he's a bull.

knabe

this might be a stupid question, but why don't they make stud bulls gomers?  are they really going to do any natural breeding?

mooch

knabe said:
this might be a stupid question, but why don't they make stud bulls gomers?  are they really going to do any natural breeding?
It would be easier to collect a sidewinder  :)

clubcalve

Back to things that we dislike doing on farms ;) I hate trying to get pigs in that got out they seem to want to go anywhere but the pen. I also hate tagging calves when the cow is breathing down your shirt (cow)

jlingle

We've got a dog farm.  Dogs go number 2 quite often.... about 3 or 4 times per day.  We pick it up & put it in buckets. Twice a week, those buckets have to be emptied.  That's easily the worst job on the farm. 

As far as the rat problem goes, get yourself a patterdale terrier.  Those little rascals will kill or try to kill anything they can catch.  They're like 12 pound pitbulls, except they have no clue that they're small.  They love people and hate anything else, such as rats, cats, possums, squirrels, coons, etc.  I haven't found anything that he's afraid of yet.  The first time he saw a wild hog, he ran between the legs of 3 70 pound catahoulas and latched onto the jaw of a 220 lb boar hog.  My friends tell me all the time "that little dog's just not right."  If you've got rats, one of these will eliminate the problem.

Here's mine: his name's Zip and he's 12 pounds of entertainment.  He actually belongs to my son.  I used to hunt him on wild hogs, but he wouldn't quit fighting the other dogs.  In this picture, he's going after a cat. 
100_0058-1.jpg

farmboy

if you have a cat problem, i can rent you my two dogs, they will exterminate every cat they can find, but they are real child dogs

cowz

In my older teen years, if I came home late......I got to clean out the chicken houses...yes we had 2!    The absolute worst would be picking chickens!  Yikes.

And yes RSC, I married into Polish Nebraska family, where every farm truck had Polka music on the radio and my mother in law could do no housework with out a stack of vinyl from the "Yrkoski Orchestra" on her big stereo.

On the ranching side, I worked summers for a large animal vet.....the one that takes the cake was cleaning out  a retained placenta full of maggots.    (Sorry, hope nobody had a snack in their hand right about now!)

jbw

I'm with cowz, cleaning a cow takes the cake, tadpole, I'll put every CIDR in for you if you come over if I need to clean a cow!!

bcosu

life sure is easy once you have an accumulator. i like mowing the yard and hay and tedding, raking, and baling. you have so much time to think and you can always listen to music.

i sure was happy the night the corn crib blew over. i hated that job so much. i have gotten used to cleaning out grain bins but shoveling whole ear corn was a back breaker.