Most Hated Job On The Farm...

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

Dusty said:
One job i hate is mowing the yard.  It is the most pointless no money making unproductive thing you can do!  A week later it looks like hell again....EHHH

I love mowing the yard, used to fight the kids over that job. It is a very relaxing time for me. If I could swing it, I would quit mt off farm job and mow lawns for a living.

DLZ

showsteerdlux

RSC said:
Power Washing the Farrowing House! This job was always the $----!
The farm I'm on, we wash a room a day. Room has 36 crates. I don't mind it, the worst thing that I've had to mess with is feedback. I'll let everyone use their imaginations as to what is in this but it will make me even a little queazy and I've got a very strong stomach.

farmboy

washing out the trailer you hauled 5 crazy cows in who decided they had diarrhea that day with manure splattered on the ceiling, walls. .... took me 3 hours to hose that thing out

Reinken Cattle Co.

Squeek said:
Cleaning out grain bins in July or August. If you've never done it and you get the chance, run as fast as you can in the other direction.

Agree with this! just cleaned out some old corn out of bin today! emptied bin just a week ago a little moisture got in and corn was growing some stuck to sides.. gets pretty warm in um! building them is even less fun in the warm weather though.

TJ

Listening to my dad & the hired help when they are agitated at me. 

garett

Basically cleaning out anything, whether it be a horse stall or a calf's pen. And weed eating, I suck at it and its soo boring!
Im sure every kid hates hearing dad tell you to get off the tractor or out of the truck to go and open a gate for him!  (argue)

ba

What is this?  Know one mentioned what we did yesterday and today.
That is fixing fence  on the other guys end and it is down one ravine
and up  then down then up with high tensile barb that is sharp as a
razor on slick mud.
Used to be that is all I did as a kid fix fence or bale hay all summer long.

LN

Lawn care, we recently put in sprinkler systems and now I wish we never put them in.

Spraying brush around fencelines.

Getting the bulls up, every time we do they break something.

Davis Shorthorns

knabe said:
this might be a stupid question, but why don't they make stud bulls gomers?  are they really going to do any natural breeding?

Because imagine what would happen if the Tech. missed with the AV.... (lol)

jbw

Digging thistles sucks, Grandpa used to have me dig them, then I had to take all of them pile them in the truck, soak 'em in fuel and burn them. I love building fence, rather do that than be a tractor jock.  Walking beans was not fun, all those muddy wet mornings, not fun!  I like baling, as long as I'm on the rack. Rounds sure are easier though.  I used to hate to mow the yard, now have a zero turn JD, WITH A BEVERAGE HOLDER, I can mow late in the day now!!

Cowboy

You guys just HAD to bring up those (*&*&%$# Thistles didn't you?

Any time I can not see one for 24 hours I tihnk I have got them, well let me tell you -- on 3400 acres inSW Neb, in a rainy year like this one is so far -- those darn things spring up over night -- grow like no weed ever has before, and even though you were right there the day before it seems, with spade and sprayer in hand -- there they are like Arnold "" I'll be B A C K """

My son Nathan and I chopped out over 7500 mature thistles in one month the year we got here, NOT fun. Besides jumping over the rattlers and other nasty critters hiding inside them, the mesquitos and bugs were terrible. And if that wasn't bad enough, after a full 12 hours out there, sure as heck, here came the landlord only to tell he found a forest of them some place where we were just at and he was fuming to get them out.

Almost make a grown man cry out loud!

Of course, we have the most modern equipment to spray them with early on -- it's called a portable spray unit AKA -- Plastic 2 gal sprayer held in the hand on MAN!!!! hehehe

Well there you have it -- any one want to get some much needed exersize and fresh air on your extended vacation to Nebraska??  I will feed you while you are here! RSVP please!

Terry
:'(

linnettejane

picking up rocks....been doing it for the past 6 years...will probably be doing it the day i die...

and handling square bales...we are about 70% converted over to round bales...but i still hate that 30% we have to put up...for those couple of stalls in the barn that we cant put a round bale in...

inthebarnagain

We don't live at the farm where the rat problem is, we used to and our dog kept the rats in check.  We moved to a different farm in March and the dog moved with us and that is when the rats went nuts without Violet the vermin killer living there. 

knabe

Davis Shorthorns said:
knabe said:
this might be a stupid question, but why don't they make stud bulls gomers?  are they really going to do any natural breeding?

Because imagine what would happen if the Tech. missed with the AV.... (lol)

seen that happen before on a straight bull.  you can miss the AV anywhere.

box6rranch

I hate mucking out our bull's pen. It's amazing how disgusting he can get it in a matter of days. Plus I swear his pies are 20 pounds!!!