Most Hated Job On The Farm...

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakview

The references to the rendering truck reminded me that a friend once told me you can tell a veteran rendering truck driver by seeing him stopped at a four-way gravel road intersection on a 100 degree day with a full truck sitting on the door step of his truck eating a bolgna sandwich.  This job should be featured on the 'Dirty Jobs' TV show if it hasn't already.

justintime

oakbar said:
I hate moving snow---again and again and again!!   Sometimes I think I know most of the snowflakes on a first name basis---at least it seems I meet the same ones over and over--many of them on an imtimate basis.   I can't think of anything I dread worse than waking up in the morning knowing that I have to leave for the airport in 3 hours and we've had 2 inches of snow and 40 mph winds all night.   It seems like its usually about a minus 15-20 when this happens and the ditches are already level full in the open and mounded several feet high wherever it piles up.  Nothing is more defeating to me than watching the snowbanks that I just spent hours clearing from the driveways filling back in within minutes.   Bah Humbug, Holy Sh-t, and pass the ammunition that makes me mad!!

Lynn,
Be thankful you live in Iowa and not here where I am.... mind you, most years we don't have many snow issues. Last winter was just a real bear cat. The same snow blew by my face each and every day, and I think I moved most of it many times by the time winter was over. I ran an ad for 100,000 unassembled snow men, but no one was interested.

showsteerdlux

Dero said:
Anything to do with the rasing of tobacco, used to be pulling plants and weeding plant beds if you have never done this you don't know what fun you missed.  Also at the top of my list would be topping nothing like getting cramps in both of your arms soaking wet from dew in 90 degree heat.  And to finish my list would be cutting and housing the only aspect of rasing tobacco that I did like was selling the crop.   I raised my last crop in 1999 and won't rasie another, by the way we raised 250 acres of burley.
I here that. I worked burley plenty growing up in NC. When I cam down east for school and saw all these flue cured farms, and they talk about it being hard and all thye do is mechanized. I said come home with me and lets see ya put a few barns up. Wouldn't trade it for the world though.

SmokesRule

I worked on a farm for a neighbor for several in jr/sr high school and did all sorts of "fun" jobs... here's my list....
1. Weed Eating... on those hot summer days when there wasn't any hay to make, the guy would send me and my buddy out and weed eat ALL... DAY...LONG.... ditch banks, around round bale yards, about equipment, everywhere....seriously try holding onto a weed eater for 9 straight hours... it doesn't sound like it would suck that bad, but it really really really does... i'd rather power wash farrowing houses for 15 hrs in a day that do that.... i now have my own place and i hate weed eating for the 10 minutes it takes me because of that past experience... i am forever scared....
2. Power Washing the Combines... mostly because the guy went over them with a white glove test.... its not a tough job, more just never ending...
3. Saw dust... the guy got saw dust from a local mill for bedding the barns...it was super fine, literally dust not shavings... we go get it by the grain truck load... he'd back under the hopper at the mill and we'd be up in the bed of the truck with masks knocking on the sides of the hopper so the saw dust would flow out. talk about a dusty, itchy, nasty job... it was in ur hair, ears, eyes, pockets, EVERYWHERE....6 showers later you were still itching....
4. loading/moving fat hogs..... when the good Lord was creating this world, i think he was up there pondering "what kind of animal can i create to test a man's strength and sanity at the same time"... then he created the pig... 
5. Power Washing farrowing rooms.... theres something about that feeling when you aren't paying attention and blast liquid shizzz up from the pit onto your self and the nice clean stall you just finished.... it builds character....

those were some of the worst for me. i didnt mind making hay in the heat or putting it up, or moving snow in the cold..... it did always seem like we'd end up castrating hogs on days i had a date after work tho... if that didn't scare the girl away i knew she was alright...

bolt

When i was in high school i worked for a livestock trucking out fit.  They had a driver that was older than dirt and one time he ran  to Detroit with sows and he forgot to unload some of them.  He ran the rest of the week hauling fat cattle to New York.  I was the middle of January needless to say they didn't make it for a week!  A chain saw and chunks is the best way to paint the picture.  I think they call it a jail house for a reason.  Other than that dealing with sows with pigs out side would be my worst. 

COd

Hated cleaning the barn when I was young.  Filling the hay loft with hay in July or irrigating and having to use tubes.  Looking back they helped make me what I am today.  Guess I could have had it worse...

frostback

I finally got mine. I had to do a lot of thinking on this one, but I got it, FLOOD IRRAGATING WITH TARPS. If we  are using the pipe its no big deal open a few gates then go and close the same amount but I hate moving tarps. You get muddy, sweaty, and stung by insects, and the boots give me blisters and if I dont wear the boots I get wet feet. Hubby owes me big time on this last few days.

shorthorn boy

I really hate mowing and raking hay it is SO boring, I also kinda dislike putting up bales of hay and straw especially in our hayloft, it gets so hot up their during the summer.