COLLEGE FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

red said:
Oh my! Michigan lost again! OHIO STATE won! but did allow too many turnovers.
Go Bucks!!!

Red

Michigan & Notre Dame have been exposed & are both on the verge of a total meltdown.  Right or wrong, it is looking like those 2 teams may have new coaches next season. 

shortyjock89

Illinois won...over Western Ill...not a big win..but we have a better record than Michigan anyhow..long live the CHIEF!

TJ

TJ said:
shortdawg said:
We were at a show ( won two classes & had 4th and a 6th ) so I didn't get to see the first half of the Dawgs/Cowboys on TV. They looked pretty good in the second half. Those guys from Appalachian State went to " The Big House " to play ball. I'm not so sure it was a fluke ; those guys looked like a well oiled machine. K-State and Auburn was a barn burner too. K-State probably should've won. We get the " Old Ball Coach " next week with his Gamecocks, that will be interesting.

FWIW, I call em like I see them & unless South Carolina makes huge strides this week, I think that UGA should win by 2-3 TD's or so.    ;) 

Agree about Appalachian State & I also don't think that Michigan is quite as good as they were hyped. 

Agree that K-State probably should have won.  Auburn has a tough defense like they always have, BUT they need a new offensive corodinator, IMHO.  Auburn's got too much talent & hasn't been getting the most of it on the offensive side of the ball either last year or in the opener this year. 

I am obviously suprised that South Carolina beat Georgia.  In the pre-season I would have expected South Carolina to probably beat UGA, but based on my observations of both teams during week 1, I changed my mind & thought that UGA would win fairly easily.  Was I wrong!!  And that is the reason why they play the game rather than rely upon what the so-called "experts" think.  South Carolina has improved a lot since their 1st game & I don't think that Georgia is quite as good as I thought they were.  IMHO, it is looking more & more like a 3 team race for the SEC East crown between Kentucky, Florida & South Carolina.  If I were picking today, I'd have to go with Florida or Kentucky (although both of those teams play LSU which will hurt them), South Carolina, Georgia, Tenneesee & Vandy in that order. 

Auburn got bit this week after being somewhat exposed last week.  RE the SEC West... as expected, LSU is "by far" the head of the class.  They are likely the best team in the SEC period & quite possibly the nation.  Mississippi State will probably be the cellar team, but the other positions are going to be interesting to see how they will shake out.  Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas & Ole Miss all have their strengths, but all appear to have weaknesses too.   

Not taking anything away from Appy State, but it looks like Michigan was indeed overrated.  The Big 10 is going to be interesting & I wouldn't be suprised if Michigan is on the outside looking in when the bowl games are played. 

As far as conferences go, it looks like the top 2 this year are the SEC (no real suprise) & the PAC 10 (as much as it pains me to admit that, but they have been downright impressive so far).   

TJ

Kentucky won 56 - 20!!  (clapping)  Kentucky has now won 7 out of their last 8 games!!  (clapping)

Next up... top 10 Louisville!! 

Show Heifer

Stick: I was absolutely estatic (is that a word?) when I saw the Big Ten network on Dish!!!! I was about to have a melt down knowing I was going to have to listen on the radio!!! 

Poor Michigan....getting boo-ed in their own stadium.....and all I could do was grin!!!

GO HAWKS...In Kirk I trust!!!!! (clapping) (clapping)

shortdawg

TJ, I wish Kentucky the best except against GA. I think GA is still a great football team whose green QB got exposed last night. " IF " he makes just one of the many reads he missed we win the game. I think more experience and an earful from Coach Richt will cure that soon; he is still young. My hat is off to South Carolina, they beat us. We played bad enough to lose and still had a chance to win in the end. Good coaches coach their teams into winning games they shouldn't and Spurrier is one of the best ever ( that hurts to say that but it's true ). I know you love your Blue but I won't pass judgement on them until they get into their SEC schedule. To say that a team with one loss still doesn't have a chance in the SEC East is a stretch. I don't think any SEC team will go undefeated this year. I still say LSU will be SEC Champs and Nat'l Champs.
GGGGGGGOOOOOOOOO      DDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!

TJ

shortdawg said:
TJ, I wish Kentucky the best except against GA. I think GA is still a great football team whose green QB got exposed last night. " IF " he makes just one of the many reads he missed we win the game. I think more experience and an earful from Coach Richt will cure that soon; he is still young. My hat is off to South Carolina, they beat us. We played bad enough to lose and still had a chance to win in the end. Good coaches coach their teams into winning games they shouldn't and Spurrier is one of the best ever ( that hurts to say that but it's true ). I know you love your Blue but I won't pass judgement on them until they get into their SEC schedule. To say that a team with one loss still doesn't have a chance in the SEC East is a stretch. I don't think any SEC team will go undefeated this year. I still say LSU will be SEC Champs and Nat'l Champs.
GGGGGGGOOOOOOOOO      DDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Shortdawg, FWIW, I'd rather see UGA win than any other SEC East team besides KY, so I pull for them often. 

I agree that Georgia is a good team & honestly, I was pretty impressed with them in their 1st game.  And, yes, Georgia had every chance to win that game yesterday, but, I am beginning to think, as I did in the pre-season, that they are still one year away.  However, that doesn't mean that they wont really turn it on as the season goes on... just like they did last year.   I was wrong about Georgia winning easily yesterday & I can be wrong about how they will finish... that is why they put on the pads!!

I also agree that a 1 loss team still has a chance, because I also still think that the SEC East winner could have 2 or 3 losses.  However, I am just ranking the teams after seeing each of them play 2 games.  My list is subject to change as the season goes on & I don't feel comfortable with my guesses until about week 4.  However, in my humble opinion, that's where I'd rank them right now, after 2 games.  I'm sure that many will disagree & that is fine.     

RE the "Big Blue"... I think a lot of people are taking a wait & see approach before passing judgement.  That's also fine.   However, this isn't your typical KY team by any means... not even close!  UK has won 7 out of the last 8 games that they have played & the only loss during that span, was by 5 points, on the road, with a questionable delay of game call with time on the clock.  Considering the fact that 3 of those 8 teams played in bowl games, 4 of those 8 teams were SEC teams, one team was Clemson & the fact that almost the entire KY team is back, I must ask, what more do they have left to prove?    Last year, they went into the final game of the season & played UT for 2nd place in the East, so saying that they could finish 2nd this year isn't exactly a stretch, IMHO. 

I've seen enough, both at the end of last year & in the first 2 games this season, that I can honestly say that this is the most talented Kentucky team that I've seen since 1977 (although I'll admit that I was a little pup when Kentucky dominated back in 1977)!!  This is also the deepest team too.  Woodson has 213 straight passes without an interception (including several SEC games), Rafael Little just became the 4th SEC player in the history of the league to rush for 2000 yards & also gain 1000 yards receiving in his career (many of which came against SEC teams), so it's not like they don't have a few proven offensive weapons... not to mention that they also have other ALL-SEC players like Burton & Tamme.  2 years ago, Kentucky was mostly a running team behind Rafael Little, last year with Little hurt, they became mostly a passing team.  However, this year, the offense is very balanced & they have had 2 games where they have passed for well over 200 yards & rushed for well over 200 yards.  Yes, those 2 games were against EKU & Kent State, but last year they out-gainned both Clemson & UT in the final 2 games of the season, with mostly the same players. 

What has me worried right now is the fact that not only did Kentucky lose a starting DE for the season, but against Kent State, 2 of Kentucky's starting DT's got injured & they could be out for several games.  That is going to cause serious problems for the defense, especially with Louisville & Arkansas coming up next on the schedule... that's scary!!   However, the good news is that offense has been healthy so far & the secondary is getting 2 cornerbacks back (backups, but they have started a few games) & the starting free safety is coming back this week, too.  But, against UL & Arkansas, we will have to be able to slow down their running games in order to win & with 2 DT's missing, that is going to become a MUCH harder task!!  So, I am not about to guarantee anything, but I do think that KY has a really good shot at #2 & possibly #1 in the East, especially if they can overcome the injury bug.  Also, I hope I am not coming across as arrogant... that's not the case at all... it's just that KY is finally pretty good in football & very few outside KY are willing to admit it... so I find myself in the position of having to "sell them" to others.   Plus, KY has only had three seasons in the last 10 years where they have won 7 or more games, plus, we are just coming off of probation which greatly hindered us, so it finally feels good to have a team that we can be proud of, so that's part of it too. 

I've said all that to say, this... next year, KY might even be better... gulp!!  And, yes, I know that we will lose Woodson, Woodyard, Burton, Little, Tamme, etc.  ;)   Not only do I think that, the UK coaches think that too & Rich Brooks is as straight a shooter as you will find anywhere. 

And, I agree with you about LSU!!  That is a seriously talented bunch, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  I don't think anybody in the SEC West can match them & South Carolina most likely doesn't have the offensive firepower to beat them either.  That only leaves Florida & Kentucky... I'll be very shocked if either of those 2 teams can beat LSU.  Pre-season, I thought that Miles would find a way to mess them up, but now I am thinking that even he might not be able to mess this group up.       

DL

GO DAWGS! (that's for you shortdawg)

Michigan's defeat was rather delightful to those of us constantly exposed to their impervious nature - can you say tackle? UofM can't ;)

Family from Iowa - go Hawkeyes!!

MSU actually won 2 in a row - East Lansing is still standing!

and really I am not a college football fan! waiting for hockey -GO SABRES!

shortdawg

DL, Thanks
TJ, I mentioned in an earlier thread that I thought GA was a year away from competing for all the marbles and I still think that. I didn't think you were coming across as arrogant at all. If you are not proud of your team's success then you are not a true fan. We had a 20 year drought without an SEC Title and I was definitely in the house to see them win it. I also said in the earlier thread that the EAST is wide open and it still is. If we can't win it, good luck to the Blue. Just curious, did you get the feeling Bob Davie wanted the gamecocks to win ?

Doc

shortdawg said:
DL, Thanks
TJ, I mentioned in an earlier thread that I thought GA was a year away from competing for all the marbles and I still think that. I didn't think you were coming across as arrogant at all. If you are not proud of your team's success then you are not a true fan. We had a 20 year drought without an SEC Title and I was definitely in the house to see them win it. I also said in the earlier thread that the EAST is wide open and it still is. If we can't win it, good luck to the Blue. Just curious, did you get the feeling Bob Davie wanted the gamecocks to win ?
Shortdawg, Missed you at the state fair this weekend. Smokey Mtn. had Champ bull & hfr. Curtis had Reserve hfr & Sharben had Reserve bull. We won our class & that was it , same div. as Champ hfr. I was proud to see the Vols win this weekend. A win is a win. But we are going to have a tough row to hoe this year , but you  gotta keep the FAITH !  GO VOLS!!!!!!!!

TJ

shortdawg said:
TJ, ...  Just curious, did you get the feeling Bob Davie wanted the gamecocks to win ?

To answer your question...  I got the feeling that Davie liked Spurrier.  ;)

Thanks for wishing us the best!  I wish UGA the same, except against UK.  Your next game should be a cakewalk.  I can't wait to see you guys play Alabama in a couple of weeks so that I can guage your team a little better.  One big thing that I do like about your chances in the SEC East race is the fact that you guys don't have to play LSU... lucky you!!  However, we get the good fortune of playing them :'(  and so does Florida & South Carolina... that fact should be a huge plus for UT & UGA.   

RE my Wildcats... I really thought that we would upset UL this weekend, but with 3 D-linemen (all with starting experience) potentially out of the game with injuries, I am beginning to get worried, especially going up against UL's big, athletic O-line.  Two are out for sure & the other one is very questionable (he's our best DT), so if he is able to play & is anywhere close to 100%, that will be huge. The other thing that worries me, is that this is a rivalry game & right now both fan bases/players /coaches are pumped up sky high & anything can happen in those types of games.  I still think that we have a chance, but I keep wondering how we are going to be able to slow down Louisville's potent offense (which is averaging 65 points per game!!) with a banged up d-line.  Good thing that we have an offense that can put up points, because this game might turn into an offensive shoot out.  I can't wait, but I am a NERVOUS WRECK!!!! 

shortdawg

What time is that game and what network is it on ? It should be a great game if you like points. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being 56-55. Good luck !

TJ

shortdawg said:
What time is that game and what network is it on ? It should be a great game if you like points. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being 56-55. Good luck !

Nationally, the Kentucky/Lousiville game is going to be broadcast live on ESPN Classic (not everyone gets that channel though  :( ).  The game can also be seen live on local channels in both the Lexington & Lousiville areas.  The start time is 7:30 PM Eastern/6:30 PM Central. 

Thanks, I also wouldn't be suprised if both teams scored a combined 100+.  An intersting fact... both UK & UL scored on the 1st offensive play of the year (long pass plays) & UL scored on its 1st offensive play last week too, so both teams aren't afraid to throw deep early & often.  And last week, UK scored on 6 straight possessions in the 2nd half.  Like you said, if you like offense, this should be a fun game to watch!! 

I have a serious dislike for the Cardinals, but I've got to admit that their offense is very, very talented & their quarterback is one of the best in the USA.  I hate that our D-line is so banged up, because without those kids it is going to take a heroic effort for us to win this one.  I do think that our secondary will slow their passing game down somewhat (we've got some serious talent in the secondary this year... however, they have seriously talented WR's & QB too), but we've got to be able to slow their running game to have a chance.  On the flip side, MTSU gashed them for 42 points last week, 35 in the 1st half, so they have certainly have issues on defense, although I expect them to play better against Kentucky (they always do!!).  Our rushing attack is averaging 277 yards per game & has looked very impressive, but it was against inferior teams.  Anyway, if we can get our running game going against UL, if we can sustain some long drives & keep our D off the field, I think we've got a shot.  Of course, I expect us to utilize the short passing game & get out TE's & RB's involved for the exact same reason.  Boy, I'm getting both excited & nervous typing this...  (lol)

BTW, I hope you guys blow out WCU & beat Bama the following week!!   

gatorbait

Rocky Top comes to the Swamp don't
know what to think both defenses are weak probably gona be a shoot out.

sorry bout the dawgs usc is becoming a real bugaboo with the ol ball coach at the helm

TJ

gatorbait said:
Rocky Top comes to the Swamp don't
know what to think both defenses are weak probably gona be a shoot out.

sorry bout the dawgs usc is becoming a real bugaboo with the ol ball coach at the helm

I don't think the Gators will have too much trouble against UT.  However, last week I thought that UGA would beat USC by 2-3 TD's, so take my opinion FWIW. 

shorthorns r us

As much as I HATE everything, aside from I-35 north toward Stillwater, that comes out of Norman, I must say that the Sooners are looking good and seem poised for another good game against the Longhorns when October 6th rolls around.  I can only hope that the Sooners are undefeated and poised to play in the BCS championship game when their last regular season game rolls around so that the Pokes can pull off a big upset and ruin a national championship season. Then i can listen to the Sooner fans wine for a while.

sawboss

When Texas and Oklahoma play it is like watching two Texas teams play, because Oklahoma's roster is full of Texas High School recruits.  It did my heart good to see Texas win the National Championship two years ago, after hearing Adrian Pietersen say that he went to Oklahoma to win a championship.  He played High school football 60 miles from my home.  Being a former High School coach, I like to see our talent stay in the state but I also realize that these young men are making decisions to better themselves.  I just get tired of hearing Oklahoma fans brag on the Sooners, get rid of all the Texas players and see how good you really are.

knabe

i guess texas can take solace that the gpa's of both states improve when talent leaves to oklahoma.

just a joke.

TJ

Speaking of Sooner's & Longhorn's...  here is a link to a true story where a Sooner fan almost "steered" (literally) a Longhorn fan during a bar fight in Oklahoma!!!  :eek:
The title of the article is "RIVALRY GONE BAD - Longhorns fan nearly castrated in bloody bar scuffle"

Check it out...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/09/11/oklahoma.texas.fight.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

shortdawg

TJ, Congrats on the KY win over L'ville. That was one of the more exciting games I've seen in some time as was the Bama/ARK game. Your QB is really showing his experience by not missing reads and that last one was the best.